Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you spend your ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
funny how people spend their days & all for the right reasons...

Our previous life when the children were young it was something like:

* up early, breakfast, ski school then we'd hit the hill, vin chaude stop 11.00ish [for the girls generally] beer for the guys.
* stop for long [generally] mountain restaurant lunch & a few beers...bliss
* back on the hill ski till the lifts close then back to the chalet & kids.
* Feed the kids, bath & bed, then we'd have a long dinner with several glasses of wine... heaven!
* bed, always before midnight.

2014:

* kids grown up, we all hit the lifts for 0900hrs
* ski till 10.30ish, vin chaude, hot chocolate, beer stop...some habits hard to break.
* We now take a packed lunch as no-one wants to waste time [1-1.5hr] in a mountain restaurant..we came to ski...
* mid afternoon drinks somewhere then back down, generally to the nearest bar, 3 or 4 or 5 beers then back to the apartment [we self cater these days]
* whereby we all muck in & create a spag bol, pasta , hotpot dish etc, generally pre-made frozen & brought from home, works a treat. The obligatory beer/wine then again bed pre 12.00.
* We had to coerce the kids to have a night out this year, ages range from 26-18 & they really couldn't be that bothered. Eventually they went & returned around 0330 much the worse for wear & shock horror the two eldest baulked on the ski-ing.

Hey whatever suits, I do miss the long leisurely lunches though, but one week ski-ing takes priority every time... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarpa wrote:
and as she was about to leave on an extended business trip to Europe only had a box of protein bars in her apartment.

Sloooooow pitch
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My last ski trip was only a weekend w/a ski buddy. We got up around 8am which is late for him, early for me, breakfast and load up to get there around 9:00 am. Ski til one of us has to pee and get something like a granola bar to munch on while on the lifts. He being a man wants to eat a full lunch, me being a sweet dainty lady thought that the granola bar was plenty and lets just ski til the lifts close!! One day he won, one day I did! After skiing, it is back to the hotel for some pool/hot tub time w/a little cocktail hour thrown in. Shower, rest a bit, then dinner and dancing. Not enough drinking to get loaded though.

I don't often go on ski holidays though since I live 10 minutes from the base of a pretty good mountain and each year my pass is paid for, and lodging is just home. It is hard to justify the expense to go somewhere else to do the same thing I do here.

A lot of it will depend on snow and conditions though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
If I'm not in bed by 10 pm I go back to my own accommodation.
Very Happy

What is with all this stopping for coffee folks? Wasting vital ski minutes!

Aj x
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could try sharing a room with a policeman you don't know who helps trash the apartment one night a brings a girl back to bed while you're trying to sleep... Then tells her that "you" are the policeman as she won't go to bed with a policeman!! New I should have gone with the family that ime.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have two types, one with a friend which is first up last down , with odd coffee stop and light lunch, good après till 11.. Then home after a week for a rest.
Skiing with wife and friends = meet in boot room at ten.... Ski a bit then coffee, ski a bit then lunch.. Wives leave and make way back, men folk blast around like idiots till about 3.30 then make way back with a beer before last run down into resort.. Get changed and meet for après ski in local bar then changed and dinner, nightcap in bar then bed.. All very chilled out.. But very enjoyable
Both plans now having to be modified since knee accident though snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@a.j., It's called a holiday not a boot camp wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't like coffee stops either, unless there's a need to warm up, or just have a break from bad weather. A fairly leisurely lunch is all I need/want.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The lunch thing is a funny one. I've done a proper lunch maybe 3 times. I love my food and I love the ambience of a nice mountain restaurant. But a few things always grind. First, I just can't stop thinking about the skiing! Lunchtimes are always a bit quieter and it just seems a waste to leave the mountain underused. Second, if I eat a full meal I find putting all my gear back on, going back out in the cold and just generally getting started, warmed up and back into the skiing really hard. Third, I'm constantly worried about ski's being nicked. Stopping for a quick bowl of soup or hot drink isn't so bad. Although I don't do that very often either.

Clearly there are no right or wrongs here.. but interesting discussion wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My favourite skiing lunch stop is at Alp Bella on the Swiss side of Ischgl. Pick up drink, watch man cleave a rotisserie chicken in half, drop it on a plate with a pile of 'slaw and a roll, eat it sat outside before it gets cold then hit the snow again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mjit, think I could go for that Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
back when i would have multiple trips a year, theywould be different. My local pub would do an anual trips, approx 40 people would go and it would be party party party with about 4-5 hours boarding during each day. Out drinking/partying till early hours, sleep still 10, on slopes for about 11, then lunch on mountian about 1, then in the bar about 4, sleep for a cpuple of hours 6-8 then out again till early hours, rinse repeat. then feel like death for about 2 weeks after!!

But then i would have trips with a smaller group of friends and we would focus soley on the mountain, up for first lift, out all day, back for lifts closing, night skiing (if in applicable resort) something to eat and few drinks in evening but never into the early hours. We even took a Wii on a couple of trips and would just spend evenings in apartment with a couple of bottles of cheap local wine and beer, make some tuna pasta bake and play the wii if we were trying to do the trip on the cheap.

For me its always been about who im with, when i have done trips on my own, i tend to spend as much time on the mountain as i can and very little apres.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First lift and last lift
love apres and a few beers
might go mad one night and stay out til 1am but nothing that will stop me skiing all day
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get up late at 7am (I normally get up at 5:30).
Sort out the breakky and bake the cake for afters
Ski leisurely cruisy blues with the family in the morning
Ski harder reds/blacks with a mate in the afternoon
In the evening....a few quiet beers while I catch up on the day's work.

Being self employed and holding down two concurrent contracts, there is never a 'down' day... But at least I can avoid the computers during the daytime..... THAT is a holiday for me!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
a.j. wrote:
DB wrote:
If I'm not in bed by 10 pm I go back to my own accommodation.
Very Happy

What is with all this stopping for coffee folks? Wasting vital ski minutes!

Aj x
I love good long runs, so at the end of a few good leg tremblers I like to stop for a min , either a schnapps or coffee, then back on the lift. lunch is always a quick affair, and never at the usual lunch time usually when things quieten down, a plate of chips, or a sandwiches then back to the snow. without the leg breaks I feel I would be making little mistakes on the slopes, where your brain writes cheques that your legs can't cash,.
ski holidays
@biddpyat,
Quote:

where your brain writes cheques that your legs can't cash
Brilliant!
Very Happy
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I know it happens me at the end of a hard week, and if I don't remind myself to just rest up a bit, it happens fairly often. Laughing I am mean to my poor legs, I ski all day, dance in ski boots, then walk in the evening, I love a long walk to ease any tired muscles, odd how it helps to reduce the tiredness.
snow conditions
I almost spent the next one on rental skis, the back seat of my dads car doesn't fold down!

A swift roofrack installation and we're (or rather he is) good to go!
snow report
SKIING
DRINKING
EATING
HAVING A LAUGH
DRINKING SOME MORE
AND SKIING SOME MORE
BRING IT ON Smile
snow conditions
Does no one else take 3 trips to the "bathroom" before leaving the hotel / bottom of godola apart from me and my other half ? We are both fairly active people, we don't eat or drink to excess just 'cos it's a holiday, we are not nervous skiers - but the altitude or something always affects us. Embarassed
THEN we ski with short hot choc stop, late lunch, apres ski vin chaud/vin brulee/ vino caldo before lie down/shopping, long soak, dinner, stroll and bed - with no more problems till the next morning......
snow conditions
If I eat breakfast yes. Try skipping it and eating a few cereal bars on the first lift, it's worked for me over the last four or five years since I've stopped eating breakfast.
ski holidays
@Scrumpy, Er Madeye-Smiley no!, lol, usually go in the hotel, and then perhaps once when stopped for lunch or maybe if we stop for coffee. However I think it could be a mind thing, you know getting a loo when on the mountain will be hard so you go whenever you get a chance JUST IN CASE, but then a few min later have to do the just in case again. Would that be the cause of it? sort of like if someone tells you that you will get car sick you start to worry about it and make yourself car sick?.
ski holidays
@homers double, nah - the 1st one or two may be before breakfast ..............
@biddpyat, that's perhaps nearer the mark. Blush
ski holidays
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

Boys trip - get leathered, ski all day, get leathered again, repeat. This can only last 3 days before we are near death and ready to come home

^^^^^
+1

Laughing Laughing
snow report
I defy anyone to not agree that the post ski lie down/ ski induced coma is the best 40 winks you will ever get.

It usually is only 1/2 an hour or so but OMG it is soooo good.
snow conditions
Did that today. The only thing better was the two apres bowls of soup!
snow report
@Scrumpy, Sitting on a chairlift or two to gain height tends to push the turtle's head back in for a good while. Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-12-14 0:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
halfhand wrote:
@Scrumpy, Sitting on a chairlift or two to gain height tends to push the turtles head back in for a good while. Laughing

TMI
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry but my turtle has been liquidised by then.
ski holidays
@halfhand, I'm usually fine by the time I get onto the lift - it's the extra time I have to allow for getting ready after breakfast - no chance of breakfast, boots, ski like many people seem to manage - half an hour back to the room is a must in my book!
snow report
I do like to get in a toilet routine....
snow conditions
You're getting bogged down with the technicalities of this.
latest report
ah this conversation has gone down the toilet. Mind you getting a dose of the quick rushes and long delays on the mountain is an awful thing. way back in the days of all in one ski suits, I was in Italy and it was dumping snow, so the chairlifts, slow one man chair lift it was, was covered in snow, the child in front of me was in bother so the lift guy had to help them, so didn't get to brush the six inches of snow from my chair, I tried but had to sit on it, as we went up the mountain the heat of my backside melted the snow which soaked through my ski suit, I was so cold at the top of the mountain, in a wet ski suit, it seems this will affect your need to go, I have never ever skied back to a restaurant so fast in my life, to my horror it was one of those little hole in the floor toilets and I had a full ski suit on, aaaaaaargh, that was some balancing act, I will never forget it, going to the toilet on the mountain can be a very risky thing indeed.
latest report
I used to go fishing with a guy who wore what is in effect a thermal onesie in winter.

Jist of it is, he went behind a bush and poo-poo in his hood.
snow report
I'm on holiday I do what I like when I like and where I like. It may mean catching the lift with the lifties or it may mean a day in the sauna area of the local Spa / Thermal Baths. I ski a little, sit and drink a little (chocolate, tea or coffee), ski some more, eat a little, ski some more and download when I feel like it. It's my holiday and I'll do what I want to Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead I come back very relaxed and refreshed as a result then look forward to the next trip! wink
latest report
@homers double, Shocked Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing omg, lol, that is awful, but I can see how it happened.
snow report
Quote:

I'm on holiday I do what I like when I like and where I like.

Speaking of toilet routine Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, I like your thinking, but after I sit to have the coffee, I want to be back skiing , so it is always a quick coffee, and I always need a holiday after skiing, but I love every second.
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
I defy anyone to not agree that the post ski lie down/ ski induced coma is the best 40 winks you will ever get.

Never, ever, done it.

Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead wink
snow report
biddpyat wrote:
@Samerberg Sue, I like your thinking, but after I sit to have the coffee, I want to be back skiing , so it is always a quick coffee, and I always need a holiday after skiing, but I love every second.
Same, I'm knackered after a skiing holiday Very Happy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy