Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you spend your ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Increasingly, less drinking and more skiing. This is not because I want to stop the partying. It's because I'm now of an age where hangovers are debilitating and I can't get put of bed if I get wrecked until 3am. Used to be able to do that and still get up the mountain for 10am. Not any more.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Much more skiing time for me these days. I just cant keep up if drinking the night before, but that must be my age or simply a bit of a lightweight. Now I am keen to get on the first lift and not stop too long for lunch. However, I feel this New Year is going to be different. With possibly little snow in France I might have to be booked into AA on my return Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like to be out at a decent time - first lift about 9.15, ski all day with a not too long lunch (no alcohol), and no coffee stops unless the weather's appalling/mega-freezing. I like to quit about 4, or 3.30 in Austria - mainly to save my knees! Think the latest I've skied back was nearly 5pm in Courchevel last year in the growing darkness!

In France I like a few sociable drinks for apres, not too drunken, then a leisurely evening meal with wine and chat, then maybe going to watch a band. I like one night out, but I'm not that fussed.

In Austria, I love apres beers and singing etc but then in the evening I don't mind staying in the hotel bar and chatting after dinner.

These days a whole week of drinking kills me, and I have been known to have an early night!! Can't deal with hangovers any more..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We generally get up pig out on a good brekkie head for first lifts, usually doing lessons AM so need to be out and ready. Lunch, no beer. Few hours more skiing/boarding down to town/village for immediate muscle relaxant. Back to accom for SSS. Out for dinner and beers. Never usually too late cos minime starts to get bored Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only actually had the one proper ski trip but I'm definitely a 'first lift/last lift' kinda guy. I'm a bit cheap, so if I'm spending £700+ on a week's holiday then I want to get best value. Will break up the day with a coffee stop and about 45 minutes for lunch, gives my legs a chance to have a bit of a rest. I enjoy skiing so much, but get the opportunity so rarely, that I like to make the most of it, and I can get drunk in the UK...

That said there was actually a night when I had a bit too much binge, didn't get up until 11am and hadn't even got halfway down a gentle blue before I realised that my brain wasn't in sync with my legs and I was an accident waiting to happen. Quickly retired to the digs for the rest of the day and swore off binge drinking for the week. A year down the line and I still kick myself for that, because it was so needless, the night out simply wasn't worth paying the price of a whole day skiing. On other evenings it was a case of a few pints in a bar and back to bed just after midnight, which is much nicer.

Luckily I've got a mate that has the same mentality, we're both happy to be out at 9am, spend the day eating up the miles and then get back in once the lifts have closed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Harry Flashman wrote:
Increasingly, less drinking and more skiing. This is not because I want to stop the partying. It's because I'm now of an age where hangovers are debilitating and I can't get put of bed if I get wrecked until 3am. Used to be able to do that and still get up the mountain for 10am. Not any more.

I'm with you on that. Hardly drink on the family trip and really maximise the skiing, still enjoy too much booze on the boys trip but that's only 3 days long so can drink through it then collapse for a few days of rest. Having said that, this season us boys are off to Japan and we've decided not to drink to make the most of the powder.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Me...get up...breakfast, wait for assorted ski buddies to get selves in gear.
Be ready before everyone else, then wait while they get their acts together.
Miss first lift cos they haven't got their ar**s in gear. (Or in event of ski in ski out accommodation, get first and best run of day in while they are still locating their gloves/helmet/phone).
Ski like mad. Maybe have coffee, but not keen if had to spend too much time waiting earlier, unless it's so cold my fingers are falling off.
Ski like mad some more.
Nice lunch (this I agree is important despite my Nazi tendencies as set out above).
More skiing.
Stay out on slopes after everyone else. Usually have second best run of day on uncrowded slopes.
Beer, lots of blokey banter and boasting about achievements of day (I am female.... rolling eyes rolling eyes )..
Supermarket (if self catering, not matter what I do, a daily trip seems inevitable)
Room, snooze, book, bath (in any order of preference).
Cook
Dinner.
Pretend to have energy for more chat, but actually itching to be in bed by 10.

Rinse and repeat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holiday starts in the airport on the way out, ends in the bar on the last night. The rest is just a blur!!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This next holiday is all about the après. Am in a leg brace with hopefully only medial collateral ligament injury ( see consultant next week for MRI results) so cannot ski, so I shall do what I can do well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
margaret wrote:
This next holiday is all about the après. Am in a leg brace with hopefully only medial collateral ligament injury ( see consultant next week for MRI results) so cannot ski, so I shall do what I can do well Toofy Grin
look out ischgl!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
margaret wrote:

Oh no, what a shame Sad

Your injury sounds similarly unfortunate to holidayloverxx's

Hope you can still enjoy your week anyway. Leave us some beer though, we'll be going the following week!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get up early, have a leisurely breakfast, lots of coffee, don't rush, get to the lifts about 1/2hr after they open and just as the huge line of "I get the first lift" snowheads has died down. Very Happy
Ski as much as possible (with coffee breaks).
Beer, food, wine, good company.
Bed.
Repeat.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Hardly drink on the family trip and really maximise the skiing

It's the other way around for me, on the family trip I know I'll be taking it easy on the skis so less need to worry about a hangover
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once skied all day (my second day ever on skis) in Sunshine Village, drove my mate back to Banff and the hotel, took off without eating for a rendezvous with a Canadian lass whom I had got to know the week previously. Drove for two and a half hours through one of the worst snowstorms they had had that Feb down to Calgary, at some points being the only car visible (not that much was in the blizzard) on the highway. Made it to town, parked up and phoned her. She turned up and collected me but it was too late to go out for a meal and as she was about to leave on an extended business trip to Europe only had a box of protein bars in her apartment. No sleep that night Twisted Evil then in the morning she gave me a travel mug of coffee, tucked a $20 bill in my shirt for a taxi and sent me off. I found my car, drove through back to Banff, only falling asleep once and ploughing through giant snow drifts by the side of the road, picked up my mate outside the hotel and headed back to the resort just in time for the start of lessons but no time for breakfast.

Could I do it now days after 12 hard years? Give it a damn good go Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do full seasons now so usually ski 5 - 6 days a week, but keep the really full on days for when the fresh stuff has fallen. Unless there is a gang of us hooning around the pistes, those days can be pretty exhausting too.
ski holidays
Honeybunny, there will be plenty of beer left for you, I don't drink beer. If it is white wine you drink you could have a problem.... Toofy Grin
latest report
I'm usually straight in to my skiing pattern:
- Wake up 8am
- Wash and breakfast, hitting the gondola just after it opens.
- Ski till lunch with just quick mid-morning coffee stop.
- Aim for a 30min lunch, then skiing through till around 4pm.
- Back to the hotel for a quick show and change then out for apres.
- Hit the beer and schnapps for 3 hours, then get some food.
- A few more beers then bed about 11pm.
- Repeat.
snow report
/\ Pretty much this but with more snowball fights.
snow conditions
I ski with a group and all of us are in our twenties so it is a mixed bag in terms of what people are mainly there for. I like to think I am in the middle of the group in terms of hardcore skiing to late night partying. I fortunately enough don't suffer too bad hangovers, being sick is never involved.
Therefore my alarm goes off around 07:30/08:00, wake every other member of the group up with hangovers which can be a hard task.
Breakfast for 08:30/09:00
wait for everyone else to faff around with their equipment and get ready with a couple of other members of the group.
Head up the slopes just gone 9.... 10 absolute latest.
Ski well until about 12:30/13:00
Food on the slopes somewhere with a couple of beers for an hour.
Then ski the afternoon until about 15:30/16:00. I normally head back about this time with a few others to have a few beers, one or two will stay out for another hour.
Apres ski for a couple of hours, I tend to try and eat the evening meal now, otherwise I get tired later on, and cant go out in the night.
Go back to the apartment, get ready/sleep for an hour.
Then out until about 1/2 a.m. and repeat.
I normally take a day off after skiing just to sleep and relax, as I am normally more tired coming home than I am going out! Very Happy
ski holidays
Have to say, I do like to smash some apres. It;s the late nights I can do without.

Going to bed wrecked at 10pm is fine and leads to decent day the next day provided I remember to drink a pint of water and take two Iboprofeun before passing out. Doing the same any time after midnight these days ruins the next day for me!

Tragically, the last paragraph applies to weeknights at home too. Days of staying out until 4am on a Thursday night are long, long gone.
snow report
Until I discovered snowheads I hadn't skied much (still haven't but thats changing), but I went for the skiing and couldn't give a damn about the social side of it. It was lessons in the morning and then ski til the lifts close in the afternoons for me, early night, rinse and repeat. It's the same now but I'm going every weekend. I take sports to their extremes and want to ski hard for as long as possible. I'm used to getting up at 5am to run, and I run twice a day, every day, so getting up early for the 2hr drive to ski is no problem for me either, to make sure I'm there for the first lift.

The bashes are the only social skiing I do, I love it, the people are great, and well I get drunk an awful lot more.
ski holidays
Lads Trip:
Up at 7, Shower, Dressed, Gondola for opening
Breakfast in the Gondola on the way up.
Ski till 2
Lunch, not fussed on time as long as its a good feed, sometimes a beer, often a coffee
Hot drink around 3
Laps of favourite runs until last lift
Race back to town.
Pub
Discuss meal, either
a) stay in the pub, consume multiple meals between 5 and 11 (peak mains currently is 3 per person during the period)
b) have 4-5 beers, had back, shower, out to a foody place couple of drinks, back by 10/11

Couples:
Up at 8:30 leisurely breakfast
Slopes 9:30-10
Some lessons
Lunch around 1, brief get warmed up
Out for the afternoon
mid afternoon coffee break
Ski till last lift, race home
Sauna / Swim
Shower
Down for dinner, bottle of wine etc
bed for 10.
snow report
@Harry Flashman, rule 5, wuss Laughing
snow conditions
It's me time away from the family. Usually only one long weekend per year with mates so it's not to be wasted. Up for the first lift in the morning and then stay out all day until the runs shut. Rack up as much mileage as possible. Back to chalet, sauna, hot tub, shower, dinner, beers, film, collapse in bed.

Repeat until time to go home.
ski holidays
Lads trip:
Leisurely rise and breakfast (Tea, toast and eggs)
Aim for lifts at 9am but if it's 9:30 who cares we're on holiday.
Pootle around for a bit
Discuss on 11am chair whether to stop for coffee or plough on until lunch
Stop for coffee
Pootle a bit more
Stop for lunch which will include a beer and/or a glass of wine
Debate over lunch as to whether we have a quick stop of a long leisurely lunch
After a long leisurely lunch pootle a bit more
Apres ski starts between 4 and 4:30 depending if we see a likely looking bar during the last run home
More apres in town
Back to gaff around 6:30 - 7
Naps, showers, call home etc...
Out for a meal and more beer at about 8:30
Bed by midnight after a nightcap in the gaff (beer or wine) and a heated discussion on the rights and wrongs of the World and whether Chemmy Alcott is still worth one
Repeat next day and each day thereafter until home time

Toofy Grin
latest report
One of my friends used to go hard-core with the skiing, waiting at the front of the lift queue for it to open, backpack with flask and sandwiches to be consumed on chair lifts to avoid stops, and trying to be on the last seat of the last lift. This was generally fine but did tend to get expensive - at least twice a week he would misscalculate, or get caught by a lift closure and appear with a tail of two busses and an expensive taxi to get back from some godforsaken coroner of the resort or other Smile
latest report
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

Is it wrong that my tea addiction means I take a travel kettle with me if going to a hotel I know doesn't have in-room kettles..?
snow report
Yes, yes it is
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mjit wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

Is it wrong that my tea addiction means I take a travel kettle with me if going to a hotel I know doesn't have in-room kettles..?
You'd always take your own if you knew people wee wee in them!
snow report
Quote:

You'd always take your own if you knew people wee wee in them!

now how would you know that, macgyver
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
at least twice a week he would misscalculate, or get caught by a lift closure and appear with a tail of two busses and an expensive taxi to get back from some godforsaken coroner of the resort or other Smile

Twice weekly trips to see a coroner? Those must have been some serious miscalculations! Laughing
ski holidays
Meh, dyslexia and no built-in speelchuck in the forums.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

Nope.

ricfrench wrote:
Yes, yes it is

No, no it isn't. Nothing worse than waking up with red wine breath and being force fed coffee.
latest report
Mjit wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

Nope Toofy Grin . We usually self cater so no worries on the kettle front but we do usually take a stock of PG Tips or Tetley tea bags (cue discussion on the best English tea wink Laughing )
latest report
Mjit wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

No it's wrong you go to a Hotel that doesn't have in-room kettles.. Very Happy
snow report
family trip

corral the masses, get skiing by about 10
ski with the kids to 12
drop them with their instructor
ski like mad for 2 hours go to restaurant where instructor is dropping the kids
reasonably leisurely lunch
ski until kids are tired (4 ish)
sneak a couple of runs on my own

The kids are getting stronger every year but so far this is the best use of their energy levels

chill out, tea
perhaps sneak off for shopping and crafty beer
feed the kids
get them to bed
feed ourselves, drink wine, chat
bed at 11 sleep like log

boys trip
good breakfast
get on lift with 15 mins of first lift
ski
quick coffee
ski
proper lunch - a beer, a grappa
ski to around last lift

shower, nap
pre-dinner drink
proper dinner, wine
go to bar for couple of drinks
probably still unconscious at 11
latest report
Mjit wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

Not at all, finding milk and unpacking tea bags is nearly always the first order of the day whenever I get to a hotel. I can't understand how anyone could make it through a whole week without a cup of tea. Although in my experience the places without kettles still have coffee machines, so to get hot water I just take the filter out and run water through it, saves having to cart the kettle around.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Mjit wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Lads trip:

Nope Toofy Grin . We usually self cater so no worries on the kettle front but we do usually take a stock of PG Tips or Tetley tea bags (cue discussion on the best English tea wink Laughing )

Of course! That was so going to happen! #YorkshireTea.... Anything else can just go straight in the bin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

YorkshireTea

F'in awful wink Laughing And don't get me started on that Redbush shoite Laughing
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

YorkshireTea

F'in awful wink Laughing And don't get me started on that Redbush shoite Laughing

You are wrong. That is all wink

Agreed, Redbush/roobush(?) etc stuff is definitely rank though.

Not that I'm a tea snob dahhling... Just have good taste Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy