Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CarTe Neige - different pricing on line and in ESF

Poster: A snowHead
So, p.i.t.a. online, and have to pay to join a club etc. Anyhoo, including postage, €59-ish,

Walked into Chamonix ESF Friday, could do there and then, but €80.

No idea of why price different, although that may have included the club fee, which for Chamonix is a lot more (~? €20) than the €2 I paid for some weird little village club in the sticks. But the helpful ESFers, didn't know and hadn't run into the problem before.

Anyway, just done online. Saving €20 each.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I get mine online, delivered to the UK. System seems to work well, with the card arriving two days after I paid. Not sure I'd call it a pita. Easier than making a journey to the tourist office in Tignes when I've been in resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Easier than making a journey to the tourist office in Tignes when I've been in resort.

and a lot easier than discovering, by trial and error, the short and unpredictable opening hours of the tiny "Club des Sports" in Les Saisies, too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, it's not a very optimised site and I couldn't simply renew ours as the club involved doesn't sell them online any more...

More of a pain was me selecting a club that had minimal joining fees. I'm pretty sure I found at least one with no fees at all last year. I can't see myself getting much benefit out of S.C. Villards sur Thones. The €15 refund for every €100 spent at "Boite a Outils" however is something I wished I'd noticed before...

It's also rather unclear just what each level is really for - or whether "competitor" or "dirigeant" apply.

I also missed the "add licence" link so had to go through the ordering/payment process twice...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, sure, it's now the most straightforward website. But ordering from the comfort of home, with the documents turning up a couple of days later (including to the UK) doesn't seem to qualify even as a 1st world problem wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, no, but if the pricing had been consistent or even well explained I'd have bought them as I wandered past the ESF and would have them in my hand now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assur'Glisse for 2Alpes from the lift office, 45€ for the same cover.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lizzard, annual? Multisport?

Too late anyway...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, for the duration of the pass. I usually get Carte Neige for the sake of year round cover and being able to ski outside the area covered by my season pass, but neither of these things is worth the huge hike in price. If I ski elsewhere I'll get day pass insurance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lizzard, your season pass insures you? Mine does not.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can buy insurance with a season pass in the same way as you can with daily/weekly one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lizzard, Not much help when I have a Chamonix season pass...

Well, can't really complain about the service, cards arrived this very morning.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't buy it with my season pass or at the lift pass offices - that's how I discovered about the Ski Club - I had to lurk around till I found them open and it took a few days. Once I did, they were very friendly and efficient, issuing the card, and I was glad my minor contribution had gone to the local club. I suspect the guy who served me was one of the "benevoles".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, In Alpe d'Huez you pay SATA, the lift company, for the insurance with your season / annual pass and then the Carte Neige cards arrive from the Alpe d'Huez ski club with the "Boite a Utils" discount leaflets etc. The town owns half of SATA so maybe the relationship is a bit "cosier".
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skitow, do you get additional benefits or is the CN just "included" with your season pass? In which case sounds like the town have "persuaded" the lift company to rather explicitly help "support" the Ski Club (which may be fine if it's a community decision).
snow report
@under a new name, You can choose the option for the insurance or not when buying the pass, the cost for an adult is 58 euros but it lasts for a full year whether you buy an annual pass (summer & winter), or just a ski season one. The terms and conditions / policy book that also arrives with it is 40 pages long and exclusively in french but, in theory at least it appears to cover you for lots of things. ( I think there have been threads on here before about what it covers but to be honest I have not looked in to it that much and we have dogtag cover as well. Maybe we should not do both but 58 euros is about £45 and if it gets any me down off the mountain with less fuss when I have messed up then fine. It appears to be backed / a product of europ assistance.
This what it says in the letter that comes with it the cards / policy :-

"en choissant l'option assurance proposee par le sata, vous adherez ainsi a la federation francaise de ski et au ski club de l'alpe d'huez.
Par votre adhesion, vous apportez un soutien a l'ensemble des athletes francais."

Which I think roughly means "by choosing this insurance you have joined the FFS and the alpe d'huez ski club and you are helping our athletes" ?

Like I said the lift company, SATA is heavily tied, 50% owned, by the town so by default I guess it is a "community" decision.
ski holidays
Carte Neige instructions do exist in English, or at least mine does. Appears to be available online here: http://www.ffs.verspieren.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IN-et-accident-report-carte-neige-license-2014-2015_v4MD.pdf (PDF). I thought FFS affiliated clubs got reduction which would account for difference in price, but could be wrong.
snow report
@skitow, sounds like it. Per @bleudegex, the CN conditions are in English. You just need to check which version you have.

You are being slightly caught by an offering taht I think suits the locals/French as if you are UK based and well enough insured, Carte Neige is (generally) redundant. But hey, to a degree better over covered than under covered.
latest report
@under a new name, Yes I am sure you right about the over insuring but then it depends how much account you take of the urban (alpine ?) myths about getting a heli if you have Carte Neige and being slung in with the empty cardboard boxes from the restaurant behind a ski bob if you have "Insured in GB" stamped on your forehead Toofy Grin From what I can see a lot of them, whether french, gb or whatever end up actually being a product of someone like europ asisstance anyway. By myself I probably would just wing it but with kids you sort of err a bit, probably too far, towards caution.
latest report
Quote:

how much account you take of the urban (alpine ?) myths about getting a heli

None. Not even good enough to merit the word "myth".

Complete rubbish.
latest report
@under a new name, I am sure you are right that it's rubbish but there definitely are "myths", it's appeared on here before. Anyway I got my Boite a Utils discount last year when I bought a water heater so I guess that makes it not worth thinking about anymore Toofy Grin
latest report
@skitow, what I meant was that it isn't even a myth, just nonsense stories that get dragged out here (and elsewhere) by folks that oughter know better. rolling eyes

I think that the origins and appeal of Carte Neige are that the French insurance system wouldn't otherwise easily cover seasonal skiers, whereas you don't usually see it in Switzerland as our native and legally obligated accident insurance would provide cover, while in CH.

We get CNs as we mostly ski in FR and IT and our standard travel insurance has a 21 day winter sports limit which is more or less useless.
ski holidays
I guess a good nonsense story every now and then livens things up a bit on a slow day Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy