Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning - Monarch crazy baggage allowances

Poster: A snowHead
A quick warning to fellow travellers, if flying by Monarch on charter flights

There is no point taking boot bags.

The allowances are

Hold bag - 20kg
Boot bag - included in hold bag allowance
Skis/snowboard - 20kg
Cabin bag - 5kg

Therefore, taking a boot bag limits the amount you can carry (unless your boot bag is weightless of course)

I had a truly farcical experience with Monarch on my current trip
In fairness to them, I had failed to read what might be new allowances or are old allowances now being enforced.
So I was forced to switch my boots from my boot bag to my ski bag, and instead of using my back pack as hand luggage I had to put that into my ski bag too. My nearly empty boot bag became my hand luggage.
So in effect I carried the same amount of weight in the hold, just redistributed in a 20 minute repack, what a farce! Why not allow you 20ks for the combined weight of skis and boot bag? It's rare to use the full allowance for a ski bag alone. A money making exercise perhaps?

Next time it won't be Monarch....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are flying Monarch next Sunday, so thanks for the info.

We have never yet had a problem with boots as we always pack them in our hold luggage. We have large holdalls with sections for the boots at either end. (Just bought two new ones from Sports Direct - a bargain at £26 pound each - http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-400306 I've bought the wheeled ski bag too - http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-vail-elite-wheel-bag-400443?colcode=40044303 ). Even with the boots, we have always managed to stay within the 20kgs weight limit. Any extra clothes plus ski helmets go in the ski bags - three pairs of skis split between two bags. I hate dragging bags onto the plane with me, so only ever carry a small backpack.

Every airline has its own policy, so I always check carefully in advance. On a long ski weekend flying with BA, I just take my ski bag packed with as much as possible up to 23kgs, then take my boots plus some clothes in a small wheeled case which meets the hand luggage criteria.

Hope you are enjoying your trip and have found some snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure what issue is. Many airlines give more generous 23kg for ski bag but everything else looks quite standard. Is it that you used to be allowed carry boots in separate bag to skis as long as all within allowed weight but now you can no longer?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
peanuthead wrote:
I'm not sure what issue is. Many airlines give more generous 23kg for ski bag but everything else looks quite standard. Is it that you used to be allowed carry boots in separate bag to skis as long as all within allowed weight but now you can no longer?

other airlines let you take separate boot bags and its included as part of you ski allowance not hold allowance
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FionaG wrote:
We are flying Monarch next Sunday, so thanks for the info.

We have never yet had a problem with boots as we always pack them in our hold luggage. We have large holdalls with sections for the boots at either end. (Just bought two new ones from Sports Direct - a bargain at £26 pound each - http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-400306 I've bought the wheeled ski bag too - http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-vail-elite-wheel-bag-400443?colcode=40044303 ). Even with the boots, we have always managed to stay within the 20kgs weight limit. Any extra clothes plus ski helmets go in the ski bags - three pairs of skis split between two bags. I hate dragging bags onto the plane with me, so only ever carry a small backpack

Hope you are enjoying your trip and have found some snow.

Would you manage to put 2 pairs of skis in the wheeled ski bag.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year I had an email from Monarch Customer Services which said that they didn't care how the weight was distributed between bags going into the hold, as long as it didn't exceed the total weight paid for, and no bag was heavier than 32Kgs. If that's different this year, it's changed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Would you manage to put 2 pairs of skis in the wheeled ski bag.

It would depend on the size of the bag. We have one bag which will take two pairs, but prefer to split the three pairs between two bags just for ease of carrying.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stuart, I thought this was completely normal with all airlines. My boots and main bag contribute to the same luggage allowance. I usually try to put them in the same bag if possible so I have fewer bags to carry.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 7-12-14 10:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't see what's crazy about it. Most airlines have a similar policy. Put your boots in your hold bag, one less bag to carry, all the weight in one place, simples. Or if you like carrying heavy boots around the departure lounge, put them in your carry on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stuart, surely that's enough weight allowance? Just throw loads of heavy bulky stuff in with your skis, ie shoes, toiletries, jeans, sweatshirts etc? I rarely take a boot bag, too much faff in resort. If it don't go in it ain't coming is my view, plenty of room for ski boots in main bag IME.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A tip to save weight, use a cheapo hold-all from Argos, weighs less than a kilo (has wheels and a extendable handle). It's ridiculous how much some bags and cases weigh and take up your weight allowance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In response to some of the replies above, I paid for ski carriage and was trying to keep the weight of the ski bag down, purely for convenience and to avoid an excessively heavy ski bag. It just seemed daft to me that having paid for an extra 20kg carriage (for the skis) I couldn't use part of it for the boot bag. And they weighed hand luggage, restricting it to 5kg, so I couldn't take my boot bag on board as hand luggage, so I ended up spending 20 minutes, holding up a desk, while I shuffled stuff around, with my ski boots going in to my ski bag
A bit of discretion from Monarchs check in staff would have helped, after all I loaded the same weight, they just decided for me which bags had to be heavier!

Anyway, I won't be taking a boot bag if I travel with Monarch in future and will do what I used to do, putting boots in my hold bag and putting more stuff in the ski bag.

I just posted this to pre warn other Monarch passengers that they have changed their policy - I've been able to use boot bags for the same trip in the past
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stuart, fair comments, good shout.....secret is not to travel Monarch I guess! I travel Lufthansa, EJ (well used to until they hiked up ski carriage prices) or Swiss, never any issues and very rarely cancel flights, Monarch do. It's always a pain getting weights right, but let's face it if one (not you) decides to turn up unawares you are fair game, they are there to make money......you swim with the sharks, your going to get bit is my view on this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
#firstworldproblems

Get a bag big enough for everything and bung it all in there. You're going for a week FFS, how much junk do you need?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lizzard, +1, 2 bags actually! wink
latest report
I guess it's the ski trip equivalent of Parkinson's Law - the more bags you are allowed (or in this case think you are allowed) the more gear you take Laughing

Anyway, lesson learned...
latest report
If you don't read the details of the baggage policy when you buy tickets. then you can easily wind up paying more to carry your gear than the ticket price.

Whilst I don't like some airlines' tariffs regarding snowboards, I think that's the whole point of a competitive market - vote with your bags.

I can never understand why many people take so much stuff with them on a ski holiday though.
snow report
^+1

Although every year i come home thinking "I really didn't need that many t-shirts (or whatever)".
snow report
Went skiing for a week with a chap last year who had, wait for it.....

38 kg including a snowboard plus cabin baggage!
snow conditions
FionaG wrote:
(Just bought two new ones from Sports Direct - a bargain at £26 pound each - http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-400306

That looks really tempting. My current holdall has no wheels. Roughly how much does it weigh?
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, agreed looks good.
snow report
Don't think you can blame Monarch in this case, the checkin staff for not going about it correctly maybe. Thanks for letting others know - the baggage rules are on their website as well.
snow report
Just bought the nevica holdall thanks for the link
ski holidays
Quote:

That looks really tempting. My current holdall has no wheels. Roughly how much does it weigh?

Quite heavy at 7lbs, but very sturdy and well-made. Depends how light you want to go.
snow report
@FionaG, is it possible to strip the pull handle out you think?....that's usually where there's a good chunk of weight, leave tge wheels and just pulling by the handle.
snow conditions
Maybe not sinkrate
However, having paid for 20kg worth of sports equipment why do I have to take the weight of my ski boots off the hold baggage allowance? Kind of defeats the object, that was my point
The lady on the desk weighed my boot bag and hold bag together and I would have had to pay an extra fee for being over 20kg combined. She refused to weigh the ski bag and boot bag together which was under 20kg and would not have incurred a penalty
So was it a cynical attempt to earn more revenue? Is Monarch challenging for Ryanair's crown?
latest report
Yes sounds like the checkin staff got that wrong mate. Surely the weight of the boot bag should have been included in the weight of the ski bag as it is ski equipment, it is being loaded into the same place on the plane so like you say you have already paid for the weight in total in that area. It does sounds like a checkin mistake - maybe they they have been told ski equipment must be in a single bag and that's that.
ski holidays
A case of the check in staff getting out of the wrong side of the bed. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, the check-in staff didn't get it wrong. They just applied Monarch's baggage rules (http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/sports-equipment-charter):

"Skis & Snowboards

- On Charter flights Skis and Snowboards are normally booked through your tour operator. Please contact them for advice.
- Skis and snowboards are subject to a maximum weight of 20kgs per item. Any item exceeding this allowance will be subject to standard excess baggage rates.
- Ski boots can be taken in a separate bag as part of the passengers main hold baggage allowance providing that the combined weight does not exceed 20kg.
"

However mad it may seem, that is what they've said on their website and is what they've applied. It doesn't make any sense to me that these are their rules, but at least they've stated them fairly clearly. I guess you can include your boots in you ski carriage, but only if you put them in the bag with your skis.
latest report
All alternatively pack some of your clothes in with your skis !! Haha. It's all in the same place in the hold should not make a difference really. Rules are rules though Smile
snow report
hammerite wrote:
A tip to save weight, use a cheapo hold-all from Argos, weighs less than a kilo (has wheels and a extendable handle). It's ridiculous how much some bags and cases weigh and take up your weight allowance.

Taking this idea on board, I'm now considering this holdall as an alternative. I've got a cabin suitcase in the same brands and it seems really light and good.
snow report
Quote:

@FionaG, is it possible to strip the pull handle out you think?....that's usually where there's a good chunk of weight, leave tge wheels and just pulling by the handle.

The ski handle seems to be quite lightweight. The main reason for the bag being heavy is that it has strengthening along the base (you can see this in the pic on the Sports Direct website), plus the material the bag is made of is quite substantial. I don't think it's been designed to be a lightweight bag, more for being durable.
snow conditions
In the nicest possible way, I feel the thread title as "crazy monarch baggage allowances" is misleading! Just seems like a bit of regigging required. Annoying yes, but if that's their policy then fair do's. If the weight's the same then (personally) I don't really care what I pack into what bag. I know some people like to have boots separately (not sure why, they get flung around a hell of a lot in relatively unpadded bags!) but Monarch's baggage allowance seems exactly the same as most of the typical airlines? for 2 of us we always have a ski bag in which we put 2 pairs of skiis, poles and fill up the rest with ski clothing etc to make the most of the 20k. 2 x sturdy holdall hold bags each with 5kg worth of boots in bottom and fill the rest up with the usual bobbins. 2 x hand luggage with not very much else really. wont put boots in with skis as 1 bag isn't not enough allowance for both pairs.

Appreciate for those who want boot bags separately monarch's policy may be different if they make you put them in the hold, but quantities etc seems the same to me Puzzled We're flying with them this year and we wont need to anything different to normal! As with any airline, just check what they say well before you pack Very Happy
ski holidays
Rishie wrote:

Shocked That is quite impressive, for a week. What on earth was he taking?
ski holidays
Rishie wrote:

I took less than that for a season!
snow conditions
@ArcticFox1, I'm not sure but I got pulled up for my lack of fashion sense (jeans and t-shirts for dinner are ok, aren't they?) on that holiday! Wink

@Sitter, well, I think I did 23 kgs with 2 skis and 2 bindings last season.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
#firstworldproblems

Get a bag big enough for everything and bung it all in there. You're going for a week FFS, how much junk do you need?

+1
snow report
If anyone is still reading this who might be travelling Monarch and is worried - the terms and conditions are very clearly stated on the website and they sound as though they are actually enforcing them this year.

One handy tip that might help those trying to bring the kitchen sink, is that Monarch CS have confirmed to me via email that you can pool your travelling group's luggage allowance as long as no bag weighs more than 32Kgs. However, it is not possible to combine hold and ski allowance (20 Kgs each) - which all seems fair to me. 40 Kgs for one week!

5Kgs hand luggage is a bit tight if you're trying to bring boots though - shame, as I can see the logic in taking those on with you.
ski holidays
Still think it's a money making exercise 😡

Anyway, think I've bored you guys enough and I've achieved my objective in warning fellow travellers of the pointlessness of boot bags when travelling with Monarch

Thanks for your feedback
ski holidays
Have they been weighing hand luggage for all, or was it just bad luck that @stuart got his checked, does anyone know?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy