Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should we go or stay at home??? (12th of December)

Poster: A snowHead
I got very good advice here last year from snowheads, we were very concerned about snow conditions before Christmas and were considering not going as snow levels were not good. From getting advice here I was told that actual piste conditions were excellent and therefore we decided to go to Kronplatz and while snow conditions in the valley were very poor we found that piste conditions were excellent (snow making). We skied all of the sella ronda and all of the piste conditions were excellent clocking up 10k metres vertical in one day! Snow making across the region was excellent.

This year we have booked flights to Milan Bergamo on the 12th of december and return on the 21st. We have no accommodation booked yet and have a car hired. We realise that snow/weather(snow making) conditions appear to be worse than last year and we would like to know if we should forfeit the car hire and flights or is there any resort within a drivable distance from Bergamo in which piste conditions are good i.e good snow making??
We are a family of 5 (6,13,14). We need a convenient ski school/creche and one or two easy slopes for the 6 year old and an extensive area for the rest to ski on.
Would really appreciate to get advice from 'boots on the ground' people.
Happy to leave a final decision to the last minute.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I hear Cervinia has very good snow
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow is on the way next week, so it seems, but yes Cevinia has been lucky so far.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have lucked out...Italian flank of the Alps is the one place that has bucket loads of snow.
Bit of basic web-cammery and web-reports and make your choice.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maybe lucky may snow in the dolomites this week
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@omas brumm, Cervinia, without a doubt. It got dumped on heavily in Nov and is still going strong. Plus you have access included in your lift pass to Zermatt and its glacier which is a stunning part of the world to ski in. Runs into Plan Maison back towards Cervinia are nice and easy for the kiddies. Chalet Etoile nearby is amazing for lunch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow reports for Cervinia look good
http://www.cervinia.it/pages/BOLLETTINO_NEVE_i_de/953
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have recently made a contact in Cervinia, the snow is good at altitude but poor/ non existent lower down. They are expecting it to be extremely busy for the next 3 weeks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mick8417, i can't imagine it's going to be busy other than at weekends?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Mick8417, i can't imagine it's going to be busy other than at weekends?

I agree. The whole area is open including the Valtournenche part, at least down to Salette. Over the Swiss side the pistes down to the village are not open but there is still plenty of skiing to be had. If I were flying to Milan at the end of next week as the OP is I would be more than happy heading to Cervinia
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@omas brumm, Go, limited snow and busy in Cervinia is better than not being there, or if you can postpone for 3 weeks with limited out of pocket outcome even better.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@omas brumm, how much will it cost you to switch - and could you switch to, say, mid Jan? If so, that's what I'd do, but if that's just too difficult Cervinia sounds doable, if not exactly fantastic. But if it's the only snow around (and some other parts of north Italy are reportedly not doing so well) I suppose it might be pretty busy on the limited area available.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mick8417, @JohnMo, @Markymark29, @pam w, Thank you all for the advice, while it would be possible to go in January, from an organisational point of view it would be easier to go on Friday the 12th and I am presuming that with the cold weather coming this week the snow cannons will be on full tilt.
I would be grateful for advice on accommodation either apartment or chalet/hotel half-board in Cervinia suitable for our family and a creche/ski school for our 6 year old
I have great sympathy for those who depend on having a living/buisness on having snow early in the season, it must be very stressful after all the rest of us are only going on holidays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a bit in the same boat. My kids start Christmas hols december 12th. I booked tickets to Torino, for 110 EUR round trip for three of us...

But, looking at the snow, I'm having my doubts. If I cancel, I've only lost 110 EUR..or we go to Italy anyway and go shopping. Cervinia seems to be easily reachable, but why is it going to be busy there next week?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

why is it going to be busy there next week?

See above - some differences of opinion on how busy. I suppose the thinking is that there are so few other places with any/much snow, and with even Cervinia not fully open, that the open areas will be busy.

No certain snow in any of the forecasts, though some hopeful signs here and there. Lap of the Gods.

If you only lose €110 euros there will probably be better times to ski.
snow report
We've had flights to GVA for booked for next weekend for nearly a year. Of all the options within reasonable driving distance booking a hotel in Cervinia seemed a no brainer.

I'll be able to give first hand info on how busy it is when lifts close on Saturday Very Happy but it didn't look particularly busy on the webcams today!
snow report
@pam w, so there isn't an event, just a combination of lack of snow elsewhere driving everyone there...

And it isn't so much the 110 EUR, its that the kids don't have to be in school, and still outside of otherwise normal school holidays. Heading to Norway for the Christmas week, that's always busy with family obligations, and leaves very little time to ski, which indeed seems to pairing nicely with the very little snow there as well.
snow conditions
What a ridiculous thread. See my Andermatt post in resort reviews - only the top half of the mountain open, limited area, busy at times but still had a fantastic weekend. Go.
snow report
@hd, it's not a ridiculous thread at all. If people are trying to plan when to have what might be their only week's skiing in the season, it's perfectly reasonable to ask whether this is the best time. Of course, when you're there, you have to get on with it. The group in Meribel this week have been going by road to Val Thorens and back - an hour each way - and skiing on slopes which are patchy and exceptionally crowded for the time of year (reporting by a very experienced person who has often been in the 3V at this time of year, has never seen it so bad and says Christmas will be "dire" unless there's a big dump- which is nowhere in the forecasts at the moment).
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
If people are trying to plan when to have what might be their only week's skiing in the season, it's perfectly reasonable to ask whether this is the best time.

Well yes if you've not booked anything already then of course it's wise to ask for advice when/where to go, but that's not what this thread is about - the O/P has already booked and is considering cancelling flights, car hire etc from Milan which is surrounded by snowy resorts right now. That's why it's ridiculous and a symptom of the snow paranoia from the northern French and Austrian mega resorts (no criticism intended towards the O/P - but of the media hysteria). There's plenty of snow at numerous resorts within striking distance of Milan. How about Passo Tonale for example - 350cm at the top.
latest report
@hd the other requirement is to go to a place where you can be entertained with slopes for a week, not a weekend. Passo Tonale doesn't quite fill the one week requirement.
snow conditions
@hd, it would be more helpful to the OP if you suggested answers to his question, if you know that area well, rather than just dismissing it all as ridiculous.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
@hd the other requirement is to go to a place where you can be entertained with slopes for a week, not a weekend. Passo Tonale doesn't quite fill the one week requirement.

And I imagine the 350cm cover is on the very tiny glacier area.
ski holidays
I skied in cervinia on saturday and sunday. Snow was absolutely excellent. On the Italian side the lowest I got was around 2000m and there was just a little bit of ice on the last part, but nothing too bad. Above 2500m it was just brilliant. The snow line on the Swiss side is a little bit higher and you can ski back to around 2500m there. It's not just the pistes, next to them there's also plenty of snow to complete the scenery. Regarding the busy-question: On saturday it felt like the early season weekend it was. Not busy, practically no waiting. Sunday however the meteo had been announcing great weather and there were a huge amount of people on the slopes, waits at the lifts with pistes in the sun up untill 15 minutes or so. Especially the Cervinia side seemed busy that day. Cars were parked everywhere. The open area was iirc about 200km pistes, so a really nice amount. If I were you and that would be the week that suited me best, I would definitely go.
snow conditions
@JulioAimeLeSki -

thanks for the on the scene report, that's very helpful.

@omas brumm - pm sent
snow report
@omas brumm,

I've been looking at accommodations myself, as I me and my two girls 12 and 13 have school holidays. Doing a quick check on Trip Advisor and airbnb, there seems to be several apartments with 2 and 3 bedrooms slope side. Not having ever been, and I'm not able to offer an opinion.

I'm searching the usual sites for hotels, looking for half board. All suggestions are welcome!
snow report
Just about ready to book at Hotel Miravidi in Cervinia. Anyone been there?

Where are you at with booking? @omas brumm,
latest report
a big thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts/

Booked now in Cervinia at the htoe Miravidi...

will be back with a trip report, and will post on the "Is this the worst year for snow" thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like lots of snow heads in Cervinia this weekend @HeidiAmsterdam!

Keep an eye out for 4 Brit blokes late 30s/early 40s with a penchant for peroni and pizza Very Happy
ski holidays
Just back from Cervinia. Had to head Valtournenche for a day because it was blowing a gale at Cervinia. Amazing how still Valtournenche was. Valtournenche is in good shape but run back down to base gondola not open because it is grass. Everything up top in great shape. Cervinia has good cover and you can ski back to village no prob. Nice and sunny but quite windy up top.
snow report
@Juddernaut, Thank you very much for the info. Great to hear from somebody who has already been there.
@HeidiAmsterdam,Hotel Miravidi looks good but wont cover all the dates we will be there. If all else fails we may have a soccer match.
Looks like we have big decisions tommorow but we will probably go to cervinia, just need to find a suitable hotel/apartment that covers our dates.
snow report
Roger C wrote:

Keep an eye out for 4 Brit blokes late 30s/early 40s with a penchant for peroni and pizza Very Happy

Probably about 4000 of those in resort at any given time Smile
latest report
@omas brumm, The other place I saw and like was the B&B Le Samovar Guest house, was not half pension, but looked really spacious, and good trip advisor reviews. I could get into Hotel Fosson, which also looked good. And the third, I nearly booked, because it also had an indoor swimming pool was Hotel Europa, you could add on the half pension, but based on the reviews I don't that I would have done that. Miravadi also has their guest house, were they booked as well?

On AirBnB there were several apartments 3 bedroom, and a couple with some really smart prices.
latest report
KenX wrote:
Roger C wrote:

Probably about 4000 of those in resort at any given time Smile

Lots of Russian there nowadays....
ski holidays
FWIW, we stayed in Hotel Gorret. Fantastic value. Super location. Food and drink in town crazy cheap compared to Geneva
ski holidays
Had a week last year at the Hotel Miravidi we had a great time a very nice small quiet hotel and only 5 min walk to slopes (and bars!). Have a great time.
snow conditions
@omas brumm, I think Hotel Gorret had room as well.
ski holidays
@wishy, thanks - hard to know what to book, reading reviews and all
snow conditions
Quote:

Looks like lots of snow heads in Cervinia this weekend

Yup, we're another party driving from Geneva to Cervinia. If you spot a group of 3 skiers and 2 boarders then feel free to say hi to the skier in the blue salopettes and green jacket. That's not me or anything, just might be funny (nah, I'm kidding...that's me).
ski holidays
@ChrisWo, Where are you staying? Send me a PM with your phone number, I can SMS you after we've gotten ourselves sorted. Will be spending the morning in the ski shop getting a pair ski's waxed, binding adjusted and that sort of thing. Don't think I'll manage that romorrow, and frankly I trust the mountaineers more than the local yocals.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy