Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra's 5-resort area - the 'Grand Valira' - reviewed

Poster: A snowHead
Saturday's ski report for The Times is this review, by Martin Symington, of the family skiing on offer in Andorra. He was based in Soldeu and skied the linked 'Grand Valira' area, which takes in Pas de la Casa, Serrat Pinos, Canillo and Llac dels Pessons.

Here's the article.

The review suggests that this area is not all lift-linked. Can anyone elaborate on this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The review suggests that this area is not all lift-linked.

Where did you read that? My eyesight can't be what it once was!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This bit ...
Quote:
. A couple of times a party of them catches the bus down the valley to Canillo, where there is an Olympic-size skating rink and cool café.

... not that this necessarily means that Canillo isn't connected by lift.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I read that as in the evening - after all the lifts had shut .....

Quote:

After-dinner craic seems to take the form of gatherings in one Soldeu hotel or another, organised by multiple text messaging. A couple of times a party of them catches the bus down the valley to Canillo, where there is an Olympic-size skating rink and cool café.

I've just had a look at the piste map http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/main.aspx?lang=4§ion=98&subsection=108 and indeed Soldeu and Canillo are linked by pistes and lifts!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, it is all linked ski-wise. Infact it just got bigger as Pas has grown into France with a couple of new runs for this season. I am not a good skier and I reckon it only took about three hours to ski from Pas across to - Grau Roig - Soldeu - El Tarter - Canillo.

Andorra is rubbish anyway - stick to France thats my advice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul Mason wrote:
David Goldsmith, Andorra is rubbish anyway - stick to France thats my advice.

we haven't been to other resort, yet, but found Andorra to be ok.
A group of us learnt there last year (2004) and enjoyed ourselves in soldeu.
we've been twice and are going again next year. the groups increased in size and is of mixed ability and we all find it fun with plenty to do.
Soldeu is very friendly and unpretentious, though Pas does have a rep as a party resort.

some of the group have gone to other resorts and had mixed experiences from those resorts.
ok those are our views, feel free to agree or disagree. snowHead Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob and sharon, I go to Soldeu every year (I also think its a fab place) we just dont want everyone else there. We are in the Sport Hotel this year - have stayed there before and its excellent.

Previously stayed in Arinsal and Pas but Soldeu is better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul Mason wrote:
rob and sharon, I go to Soldeu every year (I also think its a fab place) we just dont want everyone else there. We are in the Sport Hotel this year - have stayed there before and its excellent.

Previously stayed in Arinsal and Pas but Soldeu is better.

sorry Paul the message was directed at david but the quotes got turned round, but thats technology for you.

when are you there next year ?
there are a group of us there in the Sport Village on the 29/1 for a week
fancy a drink?
Rob
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob and sharon, I would have except we get there on 5th Feb - I take it you'll be on the way to Toulouse then !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, As a journalist, I thought one of the basics was to research your subject before publishing rolling eyes especially as you supplied the link.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Mason wrote:
rob and sharon, I would have except we get there on 5th Feb - I take it you'll be on the way to Toulouse then !

yeah afraid so Sad
fingers crossed it will be good again this year
all the best
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob and sharon, try and get across to Grau Roig and Pas. Its a good trip over and should fill in a day if you stop for lunch.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul Mason wrote:
rob and sharon, try and get across to Grau Roig and Pas. Its a good trip over and should fill in a day if you stop for lunch.

already on the list to try and do. where are you staying this year?
We (the group) has booked back in the Sport Village and Sport. Kind of wondering what the hermitage is like, besides expencive
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dypcdiver,

Who's the journo - you or DG? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob and sharon, haven't tried the Hermitage, but really enjoyed the Sport Village 2 years ago. At breakfast they have a chef grilling and frying to order - my teenage boys loved it.
The SCGB rep meets in the Sport Hotel Bar (if that is of any interest to you!)
snow report
rob and sharon, we have stayed in the Village twice and the Sport once. We are back in the Sport again this year (it was £100 cheaper than the Village) and really looking forward to it.

We are only early intermediates and got from Pas across to El Tarter and back to Pas with no real trouble last season. We planned our route carefully and only had to do a couple of reds - it was excellent.

I dont think people really appreciate the quality of "the package" grandvalira has to offer. For experienced skiers I guess there's not that much to challenge them but for us early learners / intermediates its an excellent base and value for money is fantastic.
snow report
Paul Mason, think you are right about the area being great for early intermediates, though one or two of our group have skied quite a bit and they've said, as soon as you get away from teh ski school areas there is some really good skiing.
I know both of them, like the rest of us are going for the full pass again this year.
I think there is a cyber cafe set up in Soldeu and i'll send an update if i get the chance (though I may be side tracked to the bar, once or twice wink
snow report
rob and sharon, I reckon Fat Alberts is the best bar in Soldeu.
latest report
Paul Mason, we like the aspen, that might have something to do with the bar/table football game, though
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy