Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Season is DOOMED! (Says the Daily Mail....)

Poster: A snowHead
Just surprised that they're not blaming it all on an influx of Eastern European migrants or benefits cheats.... rolling eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2853160/Lack-snow-threatens-disrupt-start-Austrian-ski-season-unseasonally-warm-weather-leaves-slopes-covered-grass.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how dare there not be a full pack of snow to open the season.... I'm sure the daily-mail will be able to link this back to migrants just give it a day.. Favorite is this statement "Tourism bosses in Seefeld, Austria have blamed the lack of snow on unusually warm winter weather" well played bosses well played
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Daily Mail report blames migrants - it says: "The news comes after it was revealed that family skiing holidays to Austria could soar in price by up to £140 after a new law was passed guaranteeing foreign workers minimum wage."
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I loved the chair lifts being taken out of operation. The Daily Fail does to again.

Anderoo
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At least it is only Austria with poor snow. Love the way other countries are using green snow so it looks like grass.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I drove out to Austria on 9th Dec 2011 and arrived to find NO SNOW. We spent three days driving to places where they have managed to make some artificial snow in unseasonable warm conditions.

On the fourth day we woke up to two feet of fresh snow and it then snowed heavily everyday Toofy Grin (just about) until I had to leave towards the end of January.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"A bearer of a T-bar lift is displayed on a snowless slope on Gschwandtkopf mountain in Seefeld".

That's the funniest looking T-bar that I have ever seen......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Tourism bosses in Seefeld, Austria have blamed the lack of snow on unusually warm winter weather"

Jeez, that's some really amazing analysis to come up with that one. Tomorrow, in another shock, they reveal that night follows day
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They are only reporting that its green in Austria
I think that is fairly accurate.
They could of mentioned the green mountain of France
Switzerland as well!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/11270467/Lack-of-snow-delays-ski-resort-openings.html
nothing that anyone didnt already know but theres the telegraph version for France
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SFieldes, hasn't delayed Chamonix yet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fair, just though that might be of interest anyway.. **some areas of France, not its entirety..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have no issue with any Daily Mailens wanting to cancel their holidays or indeed quit skiing (none snowboard, it's a Killer Craze after all) because of this.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If snow fails to materialise for the holiday period in the big ski regions (let alone the smallers areas) the resorts which have snow will have no way to absorb mass migration of wintersporters.

People will be queuing in line for lifts for 1-2 hours rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, you said a few days ago that if there was no decent snow cover people won't bother to go.
snow report
Patience is a virtue old boy.
latest report
Photo below was 16th December last year in Serre Chevalier walking up to Monetier.

As you can see not a lot of the white stuff, lifts were due to open on the 13th but they put it back a week.

Two days after this photo it started snowing and didn't really seem to stop that much till the end of Feb, but by all accounts that was was a vintage season for Serre.

ski holidays
@pam w,

Germans,Danish & Dutch yes but there are millions of others who take
Alps vacations
snow conditions
Big Dave wrote:
The Daily Mail report blames migrants - it says: "The news comes after it was revealed that family skiing holidays to Austria could soar in price by up to £140 after a new law was passed guaranteeing foreign workers minimum wage."

I love the Fail - I'm sure they would take the same view if it was the UK government taking a hard line on people coming to the UK and working for less than the minimum wage...
snow report
I'm surprised Vantage Weather, Johnathan Powell or James Madden weren't quoted.. I'm sure they'd have some sensationalist nonsense to add
ski holidays
@weathercam.....thank you Smile. The alps are so hit and miss for me, unfortunately more miss in the 5 trips I have made there, and since it's such a long expensive trip, it's a bit upsetting. But the alps are magical, if not temperamental. Hoping your story repeats itself this year. 2 months till st anton for the family.
snow report
stanton wrote:
@pam w,

Germans,Danish & Dutch yes but there are millions of others who take
Alps vacations

Don' t worry - we danes will be there, with rolerskis (we have lots of them here) - however we wait for february, only Brits go from 13nd of december.

(and we will of course wear our viking huts, just like 1200 years ago).

snow report
Except that it's snowing today and the forecast for the next two weeks is looking like a lot more of the same.

Thanks Daily Mail, it seems the snow gods were listening to you... snowHead
snow conditions
Gotta love the DM. I'm sure it would have snowed by now if Princess Diana was still alive.
snow report
@HoneyBunny Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Redwine, how come you have had such poor luck in your five trips to the Alps? Have you been growing very low or very early/late? I've always worked on the principle that if you go during the season 'proper' and at a halfway decent height it's pretty much inconceivable you won't have good snow.
snow conditions
I've skied various times and countries from November right through to the end of April and never had really poor snow. And that is a hell of a lot of weeks over 10 years.
snow conditions
@FTZ, maybe a little exaggeration, at least nothing like what the current pictures show. First time in alps was in the 90s, and zermatt was truly horrible. Remember a ribbon of snow down to a lift but we had the glacier, but stuff got skied off really fast and it was pretty much a wreck on resort runs. Another time was late in season at wengen, so that was kinda expected. Chamonix 3 years ago in Feb was also iffy, although the valle blanche was awesome. Last time was 2 years ago in tigne, good season, but bad timing, got warm just before we went and then things iced up overnight. no real snow week I was there. So there has definitely been snow, but not alot of pow during my trips to alps. I'm so greedy for Pow, I always pray for storms. Definitely hit or miss here in states, also, so maybe just more pow days I go out west more often. Its always hard when u get a week that one picks out months in advance and hope for the best. This year things will align for me this year, I am trying so hard to get biz trips that allow stopovers near some resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
God, I loathe the word 'pow' Very Happy

OK, so as I understand it you are concerned about lack of fresh snow as opposed to just snow? I gather N. America is far better for powder than Europe. [Are you based across the pond?] The number of times I've skied in nice light fluffy powder in Europe is very limited. When you do get fresh snow, all too often it can be wet, heavy stuff. I tend to ski in March, so that might explain why!

As far as a general lack of snow then that really shouldn't be an issue. Skiing holidays are expensive so I refuse to take much of a risk on snow cover. Personally, I won't go before mid-January (yes, yes, I know it's usually fine by New Year) and if I'm going after mid-March then I'll go high or choose my resort at the last minute. That said, in recent years the snow cover has often been at it's peak in late March. Two years ago we had nearly a metre of fresh snow during the last week of March.

BTW, if you go in March there's a pretty good chance you will get a bit of icy stuff first thing, but that's a small price to pay for the warmth, blue skies and sunshine IMO.
snow report
Quote:

God, I loathe the word 'pow'

+1
ski holidays
snow report
Hate the term pow? What are we supposed to call it? Freshies? I love skiing powder. I pick places that have better odds of getting powder. Short of heli, which I can't afford, off piste in alps or through the gates in the U.S. is only chance I can find powder. Europe certainly gets it share, I just have not had those instances be the one week i am there very often. I dont find hoping for powder an unrealistic hope when I do my research and pick places that have a better chance for good off piste.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

...and 'greedy'. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

+1

+2
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

+1

+2

+3
snow conditions
@Redwine,
Quote:

Hate the term pow? What are we supposed to call it?

Well we could always try 'powder' Very Happy

Europe gets its share, but it's a much smaller share than you might get in the Rockies. Hoping for powder certainly isn't unrealistic but it still requires a dollop of luck (that you seem to be lacking so far!)
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Redwine,
Quote:

Hate the term pow? What are we supposed to call it?

Well we could always try 'powder' Very Happy

Europe gets its share, but it's a much smaller share than you might get in the Rockies. Hoping for powder certainly isn't unrealistic but it still requires a dollop of luck (that you seem to be lacking so far!)

If you look at the numbers you might be surprised by how little difference there is.
ski holidays
I hate the term "pow" too, though it's even more irritating when applied to any freshly fallen snow, no matter how claggy it is. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
@clarky999,
Quote:

If you look at the numbers you might be surprised by how little difference there is.

Interesting. Maybe I'm confusing the amount of snowfall which is similar with the amount of powder (which I've always been lead to believe is greater in N. America. Colder drier snow as opposed to much of the heavy stuff we get in Europe?

Quote:

I hate the term "pow" too, though it's even more irritating when applied to any freshly fallen snow, no matter how claggy it is.

+1

I've skied in plenty of fresh snow but very, very rarely powder.
snow report
Anyway, pow or poo, right now there aint none. Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy