Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tree wells, equal or greater danger than avalanche, be aware

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Plenty of evidence here already. I'll rely a similar experience on one of my earlier trips in my skiing life at whistler. Not me, but news was rampant at resort. Last run for a family, meet u at condo. Was dumping all day. Young adult did not show up. Heli with heat seekers all week, finally a body in a tree well. Not the person, so possibly 2 died in tree well that week. First thing I taught my daughter is about tree wells when going through glades. Very informative and good thread. Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One thing I was just reminded of is that after a while you can predict who is going to fall into wells. I'm not sure if people who ride like that are self aware or not, but it suggests that it's at least mostly a controllable risk.

A second point is that indescicion.is a very bad thing in tree riding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:
after a while you can predict who is going to fall into wells
Can you give us some clues? The main idea I got from this thread was to turn "against" the tree so that if you're taken by a well the the board goes in first. Or are you mainly talking about attitude?

Quote:
A second point is that indescicion.is a very bad thing in tree riding.
Yup, it's a lesson that gets learnt early on!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I very much like your suggests Dave of the Marmottes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just reviving this thread for a recent incident here in the USA. Always be mindful when tree skiing. And best to ski with a partner when skiing trees.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/2016/02/17/father-son-describe-near-death-crash-into-tree-well/80496572/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sad but bear in mond much more a north American issue than European. (In cas any of our nervous readers think it's yet another danger they need to have nightmares about).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/skier-dies-after-falling-in-tree-well-near-snoqualmie-pass/

That time of the year. Maybe not so much for folks in Europe at the moment. But with the recent large snow falls in the USA, this is that time to be careful out there. I myself was skiing at Mt. Bachelor on Thursday in which two day snow fall total was in the 40cm-50cm range. Hit a wind drift on the trail edge, single ejected and thrown forward and facing down hill, and was partially buried while sliding toward a small tree. Luckily I stopped before going in. Was skiing solo, and no one else was on the trail at that time. My first thought was, "oh poo-poo!" I knew enough to keep my mouth closed and tried to get my hand over my face. Fortunately I was able to get my other ski off with my free hand, as well as clear the snow off my face so I could breath and make sure I didn't ingest any snow. (Left hand was pinned underneath me.)

In any event it's not a pleasant experience. I rarely ski trees when I'm alone. But Thursday was just one of those days when you see powder lines, and make a decision to ski a line. Most of the trees at Bachelor have been trimmed/limbed down lower to prevent tree wells from developing. This was a smaller tree on the edge of the groomer that caught me off guard. As they say, it happens in a split second, and there would have been nothing I could have done had I gone in upside down, other than try and get at my whistle at my right front pocket and blow for help. I also have one built into my avy pack, which I always wear when I ski in or out of bounds.

FWIW - I was wearing my beacon and it was beeping. But all it would have done is allowed them to conduct a search and find me after the fact...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy