Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a great Off Piste course in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
I realise that the above question can lead to all sorts of answers so here's what I'm after:

I'm a competent (for a Brit who gets on average 3 weeks on snow a year for the past 8 years) piste skier and am comfortable on pretty much any pisted run. Learned and have done most of my skiing in the Chamonix valley.

I'm happy on ice, on piste powder with a nice base and in changeable conditions or corduroy... less comfy on deep slush I'm big 6'3" and 105 kg.

My daughter who has been skiing just as long is now great everywhere as she's always had coaching and lessons whereas I've not approached my own skills and training with the same rigour!

I'd love to join her on off piste forays but frankly am rubbish and lack confidence outside the poles!

I'm looking to take a cheeky week out for training, early March to at least make a small dent in my technique.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some info here.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2149537#2149537
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should both come on the Off Piste Bash.
We have top level
BASI 4 or Trainers
, highly recommended instructors to advance the technique of those who need/want that.
We have guides to take people further afield and provide critical local knowledge.

We'll be running between 4 and 6 day-groups of 5 or 6 people going at different paces and addressing different challenges to suit.
Then we all get to eat dinner together and swap opinions of kit, conditions, technique etc. and of course, tales of gnarliness.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out snoworks. It's on the link above, but repeating as it sounds like it would be perfect for what you're looking for.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out Steve Angus at TDC, he seems highly recommended!

More importantly you need to arrange some snow before you arrange a course Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, figured I'd do this trip solo outside school hols as we're out in Austria as a family later. Dates are flexible so to some degree I might wait to see what conditions are like in specific areas, but then you run the risk of no places on courses!... But all the above look great... Thinking time now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
www.backcountryadventures.co.uk is worth a look. also tinderboxskischool.com.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Off piste bash ..... C'est Parfait
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in the same position as you - confident but getting bored with pistes - went on an off piste bash (with great trepidation it has to be said, never been on the site before) a couple of years ago and now a complete addict. The tuition and guiding are amazing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off piste bash. It's late Feb so if the week doesn't suit then I'd suggest looking at Mountain Tracks in addition to the other names above.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for www.snoworks.com you won't regret it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, All Mountain Performance. http://www.allmountainperformance.com/meet-mark-gear As a veteran of his course (and others that compare less favourably) his intermediate course is exactly what you are describing. It includes pre-meet brief, transportation, video analysis and avalanche rescue training.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While since you first posted OP but another +1 for Snoworks. I'm a little bit taller than you with a few Kg's heavier, I just let gravity do it's job Toofy Grin

Like their approach more about giving you the tools to enjoy more of the mountain than getting bogged down in demonstrating technique. Going with them again next month for what they call a backcountry course with a mixture of time spent with Mountain guides and instructors. It doesn't sound like you can go far wrong with any of the recommended providers.

Plenty of solo skiers on the SW courses too so for someone who has lost all reliable ski buddies I'm happy just to go on my own.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yann and Dianne are inspirational off piste instructors; you will have a great time too. They have helped me to improve my off piste skiing dramatically
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/holiday.aspx?holidayID=2774#.VK25Q8tybIU
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the rocks wrote:
Yann and Dianne are inspirational off piste instructors; you will have a great time too. They have helped me to improve my off piste skiing dramatically
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/holiday.aspx?holidayID=2774#.VK25Q8tybIU

I can endorse that trip as well. I went to Flaine last season and am repeating it this.

On the trip I was on there were three groups so obviously not everybody got to ski with Yann or Dianne, although I did actually ski with Dianne, who as well as being a great instructor and guide is great fun as well.
snow report
I'll be doing the Flaine SCGB holiday this year too (24 Jan). Just wondering how much off-piste will be possible, given the current snow conditions. Still, much can change in a couple of weeks.
snow report
@Robotdancer, pm-ed you - check your inbox!
ski holidays
J2R wrote:
I'll be doing the Flaine SCGB holiday this year too (24 Jan). Just wondering how much off-piste will be possible, given the current snow conditions. Still, much can change in a couple of weeks.

I am on the PE trip starting 21st March.

All I can say about the conditions is that with a half decent snowfall, the Flaine area has excellent off piste terrain.

Good luck.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy