Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tyrol not looking good for Christmas/NYE - What are my options?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

Seem to be having bad luck last 2 years. I was in St Anton last January and had pretty shocking conditions. Barely got to do any off piste and when I did it was just full of icy moguls, barely any powder and we didn't get a single dump the whole time I was there, just a little dusting.

I'm living in absolute fear at the moment as I'm all booked up me and a buddy 2 weeks 26 Dec - Jan 10 and so far its 6 degrees at the bottom of Galzigbahn, rainy/foggy, not a snowflake in sight!

Snow report for next 2 weeks is abysmal and they've pushed back the opening of the lifts until the 12th, that sounds highly unlikely also.

So question is, lot of money invested in this trip already and unfortunately lack of snow doesn't cut it for insurance so what are my options? Any ideas?

Maybe some other resorts nearby that are seeing some action? Theres always a chance it could dump before we get there but how mild the weather is this year it seems really unlikely.

I was there about 4 year ago and it absolutely dumped on us and I had the greatest time, seems to be a sketchy time of year though based on last year/this year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Wayfarer, Mate, thats 3 weeks away..........chill! I'll be there shortly after you've gone and I need folks like you to create a base for me.....it'll be fine, always is, read Bergfex, its your friend.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 3-12-14 16:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're the kind who takes comfort in forecasts - light accumulation over the weekend, with heavier snow and lower temperatures next week.

or not.

one of those.

Stay calm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Theres always a chance it could dump before we get there but how mild the weather is this year it seems really unlikely.

Past weather is no indication of future weather, certainly not in predicting 3 weeks+ away.

As the others say, its way to early to get worried. One/two days of heavy snow can change everything. Plus the temperature will cool down so even if snow is lacking off-piste they can turn on the machines for the piste. Not the same I know, but not a total disaster.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Chill - on the bright side if no snow comes you will not be alone and the bars will be open.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

seems to be a sketchy time of year

...and has been since Alpine skiing was invented.

On a more optimistic note, it was significantly colder in Geneva this morning than it has been and forecasts are looking positive.

Snow is skewed in that it can get very much better very quickly but (usually) only goes off slowly (once it's accumulated).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey all, thanks for the quick replies and votes of confidence. I guess I'm just freaking out as I always save up all year for my trips. St Anton's not the cheapest resort! I just think world climate in general seems to be all over the place these days, don't you agree? We didn't get any snow in UK at all last winter just rain, it was really mild. This years pretty mild also, I was walking around London in a T Shirt the other day because my coat was too hot!

Then theres Buffalo and New York, I just got back from running the marathon out there. Now its under 4 metres of snow! Does make you think about the whole climate change argument. Weather is all over the place.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Fohn will blow away before the weekend.
Temprrature will be dropping to negative in day time & very cold
at night. The cannons will be on 24/7.
Snow is expected. Some on Saturday. Monday & Tuesday
should bring heavier falls of snow.

Next annoucment from the Lift Company will be Tuesday Dec 9th.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dah!, it'll be fine within a fortnight.

What a doom merchant! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayfarer wrote:
Hey all, thanks for the quick replies and votes of confidence. I guess I'm just freaking out as I always save up all year for my trips. St Anton's not the cheapest resort! I just think world climate in general seems to be all over the place these days, don't you agree? We didn't get any snow in UK at all last winter just rain, it was really mild. This years pretty mild also, I was walking around London in a T Shirt the other day because my coat was too hot!

Then theres Buffalo and New York, I just got back from running the marathon out there. Now its under 4 metres of snow! Does make you think about the whole climate change argument. Weather is all over the place.

1. You have two options: Panic! Or wait - winter is a little late, but that means nothing at this stage. You'd have been thinking the same this time last year if you were going to the Southern Alps, then look what happened from late December.
2. There was plenty of snow in the UK last winter - Scotland got MAD amounts.
3. There's a big difference between weather and climate.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had my moment of panic two weeks ago, we fly into a munich in a little over 3 weeks. After tomorrow things are looking somewhat promising. We will have a hire car so I worst case is having to travel to the higher resorts. The last few days of our holiday are almost 4 weeks away and things can change so much in that time. Fingers crossed the snow gods play ball over the next few days and I dont have to hear the word Fohn for the rest of the season. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahh Scotland's a given, I should have been a bit clearer, I mean down in the wee Midlands where I'm from.

Smile

Difference between climate and weather, not sure what you mean? Surely they go hand in hand? i.e. Climate changes, so does the weather. Don't you think weather is getting more unpredictable and extreme than it has been in the past? Surely that is due to change in world climate? I can't profess to be a geographer I'm just going on the status quo here.

And I feel at ease now seeing as 9 separate people have told me to chill!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayfarer wrote:
Scotland's a given

...I wish...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Wayfarer, but the rate of change and general scales are so wildly and chaotically different that they are somewhat unrelated given human failings and biases.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Quote:

seems to be a sketchy time of year

...and has been since Alpine skiing was invented.

people keep forgetting this and, swayed by "resort opening dates" and very cheap holiday offers seem to be thinking that skiing at the end of November and early December is quite predictably OK. It isn't, except in a few places. Even Christmas/New Year is more of a gamble than later in the season. Then people start talking about the second half of March as "late season", which it isn't. Easter, even when it's fairly late, is generally a better bet for snow than Christmas in many places.
snow conditions
@pam w,

I agree, but I am a Jan/Feb guy. Biting cold and dark by 5pm, that's my kinda skiing. wink
snow conditions
Haha I second that Mollerski, not a fan of the slush.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, if you want to do cold, try arriving into Calgary Airport in early January when its -20!! Skullie Laughing
snow report
@RichardB, ppffftttt amateur - thats warm compared to my wifes heart Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wayfarer wrote:
Ahh Scotland's a given, I should have been a bit clearer, I mean down in the wee Midlands where I'm from.

Smile

Difference between climate and weather, not sure what you mean? Surely they go hand in hand? i.e. Climate changes, so does the weather. Don't you think weather is getting more unpredictable and extreme than it has been in the past? Surely that is due to change in world climate? I can't profess to be a geographer I'm just going on the status quo here.

And I feel at ease now seeing as 9 separate people have told me to chill!

I used to live in Leamington Spa, and don't remember it snowing every year there (more like one in three?)...

A changing climate will certainly affect weather, but you can't call unpredictable/changing weather climate change unless it's been a trend for over 50 years. Weather is short term stuff, climate is looooooong term.

But no, I don't think weather's been getting particularly more extreme recently. Massive floods/snowstorms/droughts (ice ages...) have plaugued humanity/the world for quite a while. I think we just tend to forget them until the next one, then it's 'shock horror' again.
latest report
Wayfarer wrote:
Haha I second that Mollerski, not a fan of the slush.

Or sweat. Laughing
ski holidays
Can't remember who said it but
Quote:

Climate is what you expect and weather is what you get
snow report
I once arrived in Lech to rain but 24 hours later the temp. dropped to -10 and it snowed and snowed. Chill. A day is along time in the mountains.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy