Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Although I see that there is already a thread on Austrian glacier snow, I thought I would create a new one for the Zell/Kaprun corner, as in previous years. Yesterday was actually my third day on the Kitzsteinhorn this season but it turned out to be the best day for skiing. Both the previous days had been largely overcast but yesterday was beautiful, blue skies and sun. Here's the view as it was as I arrived at the slopes...

Even though the weather was fine, it was chillier than the earlier days and for the first time the cannons were belting snow out all around, here on the run going down to the Sonnenkar lifts...

As in past weeks, the pistes were moderately busy but the lift queues weren't bad. Although the Kristallbahn had been working the first day I was there with John Barr, it hasn't been running the last couple of days. However, to compensate the T-bar on the Schmiedinger glacier was running yesterday, opening up an interesting area. Yesterday, indeed, I saw fresh snow on the pistes for the first tine this year, 3-6 cm. Some were skiing off-piste over from the Schmiedinger lift but I didn't try that. The snow cover is less than I have seen in previous years (on the 2nd December last year I enjoyed skiing on the Schmittenhöhe at Zell am See, with skiing possible to the foot of the trassXpress gondola; there is virtually no snow there presently).

There are already signs of the big lift developments which are taking place on the Kitzsteinhorn. A new 2-section gondola (the lower section will be a combi-lift, combining cabins with chairs) is being built over the upper glacier section. More details are given here. The construction started in the past summer and there is already plenty to be seen, lift stations and impressive pylons. Here is view looking over to the Kitzsteinhorn from the top of the Kitz T-bar; you can see the top station of the Gletscherjet 4 (linked to the bottom of the Gletscher Shuttle by a tunnel), with a close up view below...

And here's the current state of the middle station of the new lifts (taken on 21st November)...

Yesterday was a fine skiing day. Now we are waiting for the real snow to arrive. Hopefully that will be in the next few days!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-12-14 22:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Kaprun on the 13th December - can't wait. Here's hoping the snow comes soon to other nearby resorts otherwise Kitzsteinhorn is going to be busy!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzsteinhorn is our plan B if the snow doesnt arrive in Lofer/Waidring, will probably give it a twirl anyway this year, as one of our sons is out of skiing action this year and would like to see the highest point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
espri

Out for the week 03/01 so will give you a call if you are around then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading to Zell/Kaprun on 17th of Jan, hoping for lots of the fresh stuff before then...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading to Zell for the first time on the 27th December for NY week. Smile

What length of time does the weather need to be below zero for the lake to freeze? With the forecast cold snap and with temperatures expecting to be below zero for at least a week would this be enough? I have seen a few forecast stating lows as low as -18 on a night or two.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AthersT, The lake in Zell might have a thin coating of ice after a week of frosts so visually it will look beautiful. When it seriously freezes over (long periods of very low temperatures) you can walk across it to Thumersbach.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Horribly busy up the Kitzsteinhorn yesterday (9500 people or so) and again today and expecting the same tomorrow. Snowed overnight and during the day, snow line is almost down to Kaprun and you can hear the hum of the cannons running.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sitter wrote:
Horribly busy up the Kitzsteinhorn yesterday (9500 people or so) and again today and expecting the same tomorrow. Snowed overnight and during the day, snow line is almost down to Kaprun and you can hear the hum of the cannons running.

That's an alternative to where I'm heading a week Friday. Off to the Wildkogel, hoping and praying for lots of the white stuff between now and then, although they've had a sprinkle today and the cannons and lances are operational. Outlook seems good. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
10.800 people today in Kitzsteinhorn
skiing was impossible...this was a war...not enjoyed at all
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
turms wrote:
10.800 people today in Kitzsteinhorn
skiing was impossible...this was a war...not enjoyed at all

Oh no, heading to Kitzsteinhorn is our plan B after Christmas, looks like we may need a plan C, fingers crossed Plan A will still come together. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was snowing yesterday as I left Flachau at 16:00 and the temperature was about 2.5*C and heading south. The cannons were working on the hill but not in the valley due to the very high humidity. I'm sure they switched them on as soon as the temperature/humidity profile was OK though.

Anyone who has attempted to get on a glacier in a snow deprived area only does it once unless they are extremely masochistic. Everyone is doing the same and most of them have the same attitude: "I've paid for my season/week pass and I'm damn well going to get use out of it come he'll or high water". It ain't pretty and it ain't pleasant, I usually go walking or to the sauna area of the nearest Therme (no screaming kids).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
same today
well we are trying to be some of the first at morning...we managed to do 4-5 descents and the back to appartment...
until 10.30 is a little bit acceptable...but from 11.00 is impossible...mostly you have to be carefull of other folks heading to you, ice, little stones et than skiing...

another one problem is that today is Feiertag in Austria (holiday)..many big companies are closed (super markets also)...thats why i noticed so many cars from Austria in parking...maybe tomorrow will be more pleasant with less people..if not, Tauern Spa...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, are you still in Kaprun? Just wondering what conditions are looking like now, heading there next Sat ourselves. I see there is some snow forecast in the long range on SF this morning? I am guessing it will be incredibly busy up on the glacier if the cover in the surrounding areas is poor?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still here until the end of next week. Conditions starting to look better, the snow line is almost down to resort but they have the cannons on down to the bottom of the Maiskogel, and I imagine it's the same in Zell which should relieve the pressure by time you get here.

Was quieter up there today and lovely conditions first thing, clear blue sky and nice pistes.
snow report
That is great to hear. Snow-forecast keeps teasing me, in the morning it says 30cm next Thursday, then in the afternoon it says nothing!
latest report
They have opened up more runs in zell, mostly the blue runs. Kitz was very windy on Friday but great conditions up there. Still very busy though!
snow conditions
nigels wrote:
That is great to hear. Snow-forecast keeps teasing me, in the morning it says 30cm next Thursday, then in the afternoon it says nothing!

Snow forecast seems to overpredict...

The best thing it is showing is a freeze, and that seems to be fairly fixed in the forecasts - from Xmas day - until then it is pretty warm
latest report
Anybody in Zell already? We are going there tomorrow and was wondering what the conditions are like. Looking at the webcams etc it appears there has been a touch more snow but you don't get a true impression.

Was also wondering if it will be possible to ski down to the bottom of the trassXpress anytime soon as we are staying about 100m from there

Beyond excited. First proper ski holiday for 10 years and first time with my ball and chain and the kids.
latest report
i was yesterday....first in Kaprun. The glacier has PLENTY of snow, but the wind was too strong and many places on the slopes was only ice because of the wind....(the wind blow away the snow from slopes)
The slopes at the lower levels were ok but FULL....
At 12.00 we changed to Zell...the situation was also the same...many people, too many...and the slopes with little snow. Many spots with ice, because of the lack of snow or the wind
However yesterday during the whole night we had a snowfall...
Today we went to Saalbach , so i dont know how the things goes on in Zell....

i really dont know if you could ski down to the valley...maybe with the last snowfall...
ski holidays
@KennyEverett, it has gone very cold and has been snowing on and off all day. The forecast is for snow showers for the rest of the week on and off and very cold temperatures. Most resorts are concentrating on getting the runs to the valleys open now. The pistes all around here are covered with snow making cannons and lances and they are blowing snow as much as possible. I skied from Wagrain to Alpendorf and back again today which is a little bit to the north of the Schmittenhöhe area and we had more than enough snow to ski on and they are still making more.

Unlike @turms, I'm more of a glass half full rather than half empty person. I am skiing, there are a lot of people but fewer than most years at this time. Anything has to be better than vegging in the UK watching endless repeats on TV, arguing over the remote control and stuffing your face. wink
ski holidays
Great info and terrific news guys. As long as we can find a few steady blues for the family to develop on, I'll be a happy man. If all goes to plan the kids will be knackered by an hour after lunch and we can send them back to the hotel with the ladies. Then find whatever else there is that they're not up to yet.

Really hope the resort runs fill in. It's soul destroying being on a lift going in the wrong direction. Regardless we will have a blast.

No chance I will sleep tonight. I haven't been this giddy since I was about to pop my cherry Very Happy Shocked
ski holidays
@ Samerberg Sue....of course you have right. But i can not write : everything is perfet, 2m of fresh snow etc etc etc
However a bad day on the mountain is better from a good day in office or in front of TV
snow report
Snowed overnight again in my corner of Salzburgerland, and probably a few more places around too. Also extremely cold and getting colder, so the snow making facilities are working all the time. As I drove between Wagrain and Altenmarket last night it seemed that every mountain had fairy lights draped from top to bottom, those were the cannons going at it like the blazes.

@turms, I don't give unrealistic reports I will say it as it is. The pistes are crowded but I've experienced far, far worse. The snow was thin, patchy and the pistes narrower BUT we could easily ski from one resort to another. Always balance the not so good news with the good stuff. Time in the mountains is precious when you only have one week a year so leaving the UK expecting the worse is a pretty good damper to put on the holiday spirit. wink
ski holidays
Nobody can dampen my spirits today. We even had a couple of inches of the white stuff last night just to whet the appetite. Hopefully it won't bring the country to a grinding halt as usual. As long as the M62 is clearish we'll be fine.

To anybody going anywhere in the world to ski (and even the boarders), have a superb time. I know we will snowHead snowHead
snow report
@ Samerberg Sue....i didnt said you give unrealistic reports...sorry if i made you understand so...
latest report
Looks like the lake has frozen over at Zell am See! I wonder how long until it is thick enough for skating.
ski holidays
Not frozen over. Or at least it hadn't two days ago - just had tiny bits at the edges. Their Facebook people pointed this out to me when I asked.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

This is view of Zell lake today. Loads of vapour coming off. Not frozen.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy