Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Query re passport expiry

Poster: A snowHead
My passport is due to expire 17/4/15 and am going to Austria on 10th January and again on 28th feb. From what I understand because I'm flying within EU I should be ok. Or am I wrong and get a new passport ASAP ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boabski, why not get a new one now - you won't lose out, they'll add the unexpired time. Not sure how far in advance you can do it though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
think it's up to 6 months before, and they add the unexpired time.
within EU you can travel on it 1 day before expiry no problems.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd call the passport office (or check their website) rather than rely on snowheads for advice on something like that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You should be OK but why not renew it now? You'll get it back in a couple of weeks (winter is low season for passports) and the new one will last until 17/4/25 because "time left on an existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months." https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Taking 3 weeks for new passport. Factor in Xmas mail etc it's tight for new one. I am tempted to get new one though. Have new role at work and finding it pretty much impossible to get time to call them during the day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boabski, i have travelled within the EU without a passport, and frequently into and out of it without one.

I wouldn't bother renewing it, they are somewhat over-rated.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's on the passport office website somewhere I think but basically within EU and indeed to most countries unexpired means unexpired. The 3 month validity thing tends not to be for UK passports.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, you fly into/out of the EU without a passport? how?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Up to 9 months ahead to get unused time added to your new passport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, hubbie just did his a fortnight or so ago, back in less than a week, btw.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alex99, they are as over rated as random advice from random strangers on the internet.

I live in Switzerland and frequently forget it when I drive to France. I did once fly from the Shengen area to the UK without one but it was a p.i.t.a. So what I said was completely true, but worthles advice Twisted Evil

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 2-12-14 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As mentioned you get up to 9 months credited - SWMBO has just renewed hers - posted Friday returned the following Friday.

Might as well renew as you are going to need it sometime Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, flying from the EU to the UK is not possible, the UK is in the EU? I don't think you can fly into/out of the EU without a passport.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boabski, I would just find the time to call the office, its not worth relying on advice on SH about something as important as that.
snow conditions
@alex99, ah, yes, UK, was not thinking straight. Find administrative boundaries hard to keep track of in my dotage. Fixed it for you. (Ended up with a rather pathetic (allegedly) CIA? TSA? (Hard to tell as every agency I spoke to blamed another one and "weren't allowed" to give details. Flag against my name but only flying one direction, with one airline into one airport. Hey ho, that helped me sleep at night, knowing the muppets were watching over me.)

Note, that at no point did I mention flying until you did.

Pretty sure you can fly in and out, own plane, small airfield, no worries.
ski holidays
@jocrad, thanks. Will just get new one
Thanks all
ski holidays
@boabski, do it right away. Get the Post Office to check the form and send - well worth the extra few quid, it's easy to make a mistake.
ski holidays
Slightly OT -

Last year 3 friends and I travelled to France from the UK in the summer, spent a week there before returning and not once did we have to produce our passports or any other documents. How did we do it?
ski holidays
@boabski, Did my sons using the online system recently, he got a text on the Tuesday saying the forms had been received and his passport arrived on the Friday by courier. Found the form very easy to do online as it only asked for the information needed for the renewal.
latest report
@boabski, i'd only add that if you are concerned about the process and live near enough to a passport office, the staff have, on 3 slightly out of the ordinary occasions (in terms of what I needed) , been unfailingly polite and helpful.
snow conditions
Quote:

How did we do it?

in your own boat?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

How did we do it?

in your own boat?
Very Happy Not mine - one of the others - I thought you might get it . I've taken up yachting rather late in life and that was my first trip across the Channel so I was quite surprised there were no checks at all.
ski holidays
Quote:

I was quite surprised there were no checks at all

there used to be - you had to sit on your boat, coming back into the UK, until Customs visited you, and that could be hours and hours.

And nowadays the Border Agency do a lot of rather intimidating spot checks - not happened to me but friends, sailing with young grandchildren, were boarded by armed men in black giving orders for all crew to be immediately on deck (in the cold and dark) and scaring the kids to death. People who have been boarded by both French and British customs say the former are more polite and wear deck shoes rather than hobnailed boots.
ski holidays
My mate Mustfa says the same, he only sails from Dover to near Calais.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Get the Post Office to check the form and send - well worth the extra few quid, it's easy to make a mistake.

If you follow the instructions it's d*mn hard to make a mistake. If you are incompetent, then yes use the PO. But do note that acceptance by the Post Office does not guarantee that the Passport Office will accept it, and equally rejection by the Post Office does not mean the passport office would reject it.
latest report
You can fill it online I believe. They then send it to you to be signed and posted off. At least you used to be able to.
ski holidays
@boabski, If it doesn't expire until April why worry for January and February! You have a valid passport, unlike when our grown up daughter who came to Livigno with us - at passport control re-entering the UK they noticed that her passport had expired 2 months previously. They just told her off, very mildly and sent us on our way. (We just laughed at her a lot).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I shouldn't worry, just say your from poland or another part of the EU and they will give you a new passport when you land, with whatever name you like on it - at least that seems to be the extent of our boarder control these days Toofy Grin
snow report
If you like to believe in made-up bloody fairy-tales it is... wink

I just applied for my first UK passport (recently naturalised), seems to be taking about 2 weeks for those. Am travelling on the 27th and am confident it will be back by then.
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
You can fill it online I believe. They then send it to you to be signed and posted off. At least you used to be able to.
Fill it in online and then print it yourself, sign it and send it off with your old passport and two new photos.
latest report
When i went to Chamonix, flew in to Geneva, in January of this year I had 2 weeks left on my passport and had no problem. I did call the passport office and spoke to the airline, Jet2, and they all said they'd be no issues. You'll be fine.
ski holidays
agw wrote:
Claude B wrote:
Fill it in online and then print it yourself, sign it and send it off with your old passport and two new photos.
The bit I missed was paying for it - which you do online before you print the form.
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
I shouldn't worry, just say your from poland or another part of the EU and they will give you a new passport when you land, with whatever name you like on it - at least that seems to be the extent of our boarder control these days Toofy Grin

Yep - gotta keep those pesky boarders out Very Happy
ski holidays
You can fill in online but not print yourself, I think, they print and send to you which seems a bit mad?!?!
snow conditions
beware of all the websites which offer to do it for a fee (ie produce the forms). Like the ones who offer to renew your EHIC for a fee, even though it's free online.
ski holidays
I just renewed my passport couple of months ago, it took 4 hours to get a new one. You just have to ring and make an appointment.
ski holidays
jocrad wrote:
You can fill in online but not print yourself, I think, they print and send to you which seems a bit mad?!?!
Nope - just done ours and we printed off the forms at home.

https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/
snow conditions
I try never to leave mine till the last minute in case somebody comes up with a great trip and I don't have time to get it done.
ski holidays
@jocrad, Said above about my son's experience, printed and sent Monday recorded delivery, text to say docs received Tuesday, new passport delivered Friday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy