Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free weekend ski holiday in exchange for part time instruction anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
After looking at the cost of private tuition and having read Nixmap's offer I thought I might explore a different approach.

Would there be any interest from a ski instructor for a totally free long weekend - Fri eve to Monday evening one weekend in January? Either 16-19 or 23-26. Flying out with us from Luton on the 18.30 to Geneva and back on the 21.45 Monday, so 3 full days on the slopes. We would cover all costs, flights, transfers, ski pass, food, drinks, etc in exchange for 3 half days tuition. The rest of the time you could do as you wish, ski with us or not. We're reasonable intermediates who ski quite a bit and can ski black runs, but prefer reds or even blues, who've never had lessons other the introductory stuff at a snowzone a few years ago but feel we would benefit from some instruction to improve our technique. We don't expect you to do anything other than be a part-time instructor (say 4 hours either morning or afternoon) and would welcome you as part of our group. Accommodation would be shared with us in our chalet in Morillon. Own bedroom but shared bathroom.

About us.
We're from Derbyshire, early - late 40's self-made professionals, out for much of the season, reasonably fit, non-smokers, we like a drink whilst on a skiing holiday but don't tend to go out partying at night. Usually a few on the mountain throughout the day*, apres drinks at the bottom of the piste at the end of the day and then back to the Chalet for dinner and more drinks/chat/cards/etc. We're usually first on the mountain when the lift opens and stay until the lifts start to close. There would be no more than 4 of us although could only be two of us.

So, anyone up for it?

*although we don't get drunk on the mountain we do believe in supporting many of local hostelries, so if you're one of those anti-drinking-whilst-skiing-types from the other thread then we probably aren't your sort of people. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not a ski instructor, but count me in.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@897sma, you can't tell me that that's a cheaper idea than 3 half day's private lessons?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blahblahblah, Me too, alas who would do the work while im gone Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PaulC1984, how are your new pants? Whats work got to do with it, its only Monday off, just call in sick.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, about the same I suppose, €240 per 4 hour session + 25pppd so 720-870 Euro depending whether there's 2 or 4 of us. Flights including sport equip't £180, I'll have a car there so no transfer costs, accommodation paid for already, 3-day GM lift pass €130, food & drink £200ish. Anyway, I'm not trying to do it on the cheap, just looking at alternative options.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-12-14 15:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@blahblahblah, Pants not arrived yet. I run my own business and have already got 7 holidays booked this year, yet another will see the wife castrating me!! It was bad enough when i told her I was going te lemans for the week watching car racing, only a week after booking 2 ski hols Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PaulC1984 wrote:
@blahblahblah, Pants not arrived yet. I run my own business and have already got 7 holidays booked this year, yet another will see the wife castrating me!! It was bad enough when i told her I was going te lemans for the week watching car racing, only a week after booking 2 ski hols Happy

I know the feeling. Lucky you 7 trips and Le Mans, nice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@blahblahblah, Not 7 ski trips sadly, some are with the wife..... but still 2 ski trips and lemans makes me a happy bunny Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, a dark cloud to every silver lining.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@897sma, your instructor would have to be ISTD qualified or ISIA and employed by a school and sent with you for this to be a legal option on the slopes.
Of course I'm sure you could create a case that the instructor is a mate of yours and just along for the weekend helping you out.... after all we're all mates here aren't we?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@blahblahblah, Very true:-)

@flangesax, I see your point but Nixmap employs/doesnt employ freinds/employees/slaves to get around their legalities Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:
@897sma, your instructor would have to be ISTD qualified or ISIA and employed by a school and sent with you for this to be a legal option on the slopes.
Of course I'm sure you could create a case that the instructor is a mate of yours and just along for the weekend helping you out.... after all we're all mates here aren't we?

I did wonder how long it would be before this kind of post appeared? Surprised it got to 10 posts before it did! Very Happy

If we're sharing flights, transfers, accommodation etc, it would be fairly easy to "prove" we were there as friends. Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@blahblahblah, Very true:-)

@flangesax, I see your point but Nixmap employs/doesnt employ freinds/employees/slaves to get around their legalities Happy

But he isn't advertising for jobs that legally require a qualification (and insurance).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
But he isn't advertising for jobs that legally require a qualification (and insurance).

Exactly, I don't need anyone to teach me how to ski. However if someone would like to come as my guest and in exchange critique my skiing technique and perhaps offer some pointers whilst we ski together for a few hours a day. Wink

The big difference with what I proposed compared to say Nixmap (for the record, I think their offer is a great opportunity for someone), is that we intend to be the ones doing the driving/cooking/cleaning/etc.
snow report
@897sma, OK, that makes economic sense. And you might actually become mates.

Would suggest that 4 hours of full bore private lesson would be just a little tiring and also 3 consecutive days of it could lead to analysis paralysis (I note that this is not your stated intent)..

Myself, I'd just take a 2 hour lesson on day one and work on things myself.
ski holidays
@clarky999, True
ski holidays
This doesn't seem like an attractive deal. Your tame instructor will not actually earning anything, just getting the opportunity to do three short afternoons (if you insist on a 4 hour lesson each morning) of free skiing. I'd have thought any decently useful instructor would want paying in addition to getting his home to work travel and on-site expenses met. There is also the potential hassle of having to pretend to be a mate while really providing a service.
snow report
Spud9 wrote:
This doesn't seem like an attractive deal. Your tame instructor will not actually earning anything, just getting the opportunity to do three short afternoons (if you insist on a 4 hour lesson each morning) of free skiing. I'd have thought any decently useful instructor would want paying in addition to getting his home to work travel and on-site expenses met. There is also the potential hassle of having to pretend to be a mate while really providing a service.

rolling eyes Really? an extra weekend away for someone who loves skiing Laughing
We aren't babies snowploughing down the nursery slopes, the skiing would be all day. Anyway it obviously isn't something for you so move along there's nothing to see here. Very Happy
latest report
@897sma, I think it's quite an attractive proposition. Someone (serious) might bite.
snow conditions
@Spud9, get over it, or better like the OP says, move on. I think its a fair proposal, and he's not asking for your judgement on it, merely asking if anyone is interested.
snow report
Regarding the legality bit - it's illegal to work without the right qualifications, but is it illegal to teach? If you are not being paid, you aren't working, so would the teaching still be illegal?
latest report
People are teaching people to ski all over the mountain. Most of them are mates, parents, etc rather than somebody "working".
snow conditions
@karin, it's all about the 'reciprocal' bits...

But it seems like a sweet possibility.... I'd expect most decent teachers are teaching somewhere snowy all season though... so it may be harder to find someone than you expect.
ski holidays
@flangesax, I'm surprised there hasn't been any interest yet, I thought there would be loads of people who'd trained as L2/L3 instructor but were forced to endure the 9-5 grind in the UK to pay the bills/raise a family, or hadn't done the TT so couldn't find work in the mountains.
snow conditions
@897sma, I suspect from how you've described your skiing that you really need a L3, or a 2 with lots of experience.
snow report
I would have seriously considered this as the description of what you do in resort matches mine. Not doing L2 till March but if I was already qualified then for sure it would have been a great proposition. (That of course is if I pass). Very Happy
snow conditions
If this was in Switzerland I think it could be quite fun. But with all the hassle going on in France right now. If you are not qualified to work in France and they think you are teaching especially round the Grand Massif area you might find yourself having problems. Plus if you are qualified then you would surely want to be paid.

@scottief, L1, L2 and L3 cannot work in France independently without Euro test so you could end up getting arrested if they caught you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowcrazy thanks, I know that but like the point made above, what difference would this be to me posting a request as a 'single traveller' looking to find a similarly minded group to travel with on the thread here on SH? If as a consequence you are qualified at L1 or 2 and skiing with them recreationally giving some help where required? I took my daughter to Val D last year and taught her for the whole week and interestingly, shared a chair with an Army reserve who had a group (admittedly, I don't know what level he was). Yes the part about not paying for the trip would be the part carrying the risk but again as mentioned above, it would be very hard to prove. Overall the way France is right now, you could be playing with fire taking the risk so it's probably best not taking it (I wasn't / can't) anyway but the thread poses a very intersting question and replies.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy