Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski holidays for non-skiers - Suggestions please?

Poster: A snowHead
Everything I see on this topic goes with either
a) expensive spa hotels where I'm going to pay a fortune for facilities that I won't use because I want to ski, or
b) energetic activities like snow-mobiling and bobsleigh which are less likely to appeal to someone who doesn't want to be as active as skiing.
Can anyone suggest somewhere (resorts / hotels) that also have decent facilities for the non-skier that won't break the bank...?
Thanks in advance! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trouble is with these questions, that nobody ever says what their non-skiers actually want to do. Evil or Very Mad

Sit with their feet up and read some good books? Walk?(and if so, how energetic), shop? eat? swim?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The good places for non skiers are the proper towns like zell and see, kitzbuhel etc as they have a proper town to walk around and have good transport connections. Unfortunately these also happen to be the more expensive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wengen/Jungfrau region Switzerland, has a walking pass for non skiers, the connecting trains and cablecars mean that a mixed group of skiers and non skiers can arrange to meet for lunch at almost any of the mountain restaurants, local more relaxed things to do are pleasant alpine walks, trips to the highest mountain railway in europe or the James Bond experience at Piz Gloria just across the valley above Murren, oh and several sledge runs, that the sort of thing you had in mind @meribel ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
why would ya?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@madlondoner, see what I mean? You've assumed that the non skiers want a "proper town to walk around" but with absolutely zero information, how can we possibly know? Some people would prefer a beautiful, peaceful spot with lots of nice gentle walks and the occasional delicious cake.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the bigger places have more organised walks into the mountains and usually a wider range of cafes and bars as they get more people who aren't skiing. It's generally assumed that a non skier will want something to do, (otherwise any ski village would do and there is little point asking), and that even if they aren't doing that much, they will be spending much more time in the hotel so a good hotel is a priority. A lot of the nicer hotels are in the bigger resorts where people are usually more prepared to spend money. Equally the decent facilities will be in the bigger more town like places which have the money to splurge.

I agree with you to an extent Pam, in that people give out limited information and don't say what the person wants to do. The crucial thing people often fail to mention is budget. One person's definition of not breaking the bank differ wildly from another. Are they happy with a basic dinner or will they want something more elaborate?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@madlondoner, my own experience of non skiers is that their priority was to be able to do some safe (but not necessarily unstrenuous) walks in beautiful surroundings, have a few places to visit for drinks or coffee and cake and, above all, able to sit somewhere comfortable and read and fix themselves drinks and snacks without it costing them a bomb. So for them, being in a nice rented apartment or chalet with fabulous views was the priority - the last thing they'd have wanted was to be in a hotel paying €€€ for every cup of tea, glass of beer, gin and tonic or sandwich. They would absolutely not have wanted to go "shopping" or get "pampering" treatments, or sit in a bug-infested hot tub, though for some these would be priorities.

The needs of non skiers are as varied as those of skiers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf wrote:
Wengen/Jungfrau region Switzerland, has a walking pass for non skiers, the connecting trains and cablecars mean that a mixed group of skiers and non skiers can arrange to meet for lunch at almost any of the mountain restaurants, local more relaxed things to do are pleasant alpine walks, trips to the highest mountain railway in europe or the James Bond experience at Piz Gloria just across the valley above Murren, oh and several sledge runs, that the sort of thing you had in mind @meribel ?

This... and it's a half-hour train ride into Interlaken if you fancy somewhere less ski-resorty. I think the lift pass even covers you as far as Zweilütschinen where the line splits, as that's one of the routes linking up Murren/Wengen with Grindelwald
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for the suggestions re Wengen/Jungfrau & Zell am See for all the sound reasons given.
I'd also add Alpe d'Huez: plenty of cleared paths out into the mountains, plus a good network of pedestrian-accessible gondolas & cable cars to high-altitude scenic viewpoints and mountain restaurants; together with a good leisure centre, ice rink & swimming pool; it's also well served by many UK tour operators, so generally ticks the box for affordability as far as overall holiday package prices go.
Likewise Serre Chevalier: the beautiful historic town of Briancon is easily accessible from any of the valley's resort villages; plenty of off-slopes facilities and attractions; plus non-skiers can meet up with skiing friends at various lift-base points along the valley.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

b) energetic activities like snow-mobiling and bobsleigh which are less likely to appeal to someone who doesn't want to be as active as skiing.

Just how active is sitting and steering (or in the case of the bob raft just sitting). Personally I do not see why anyone would want to go on a skiing holiday and not ski. I would rather save up my meagre holiday allowance and do something I would want to do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, I have neighbours - French wife, Belgian husband, who own an apartment in a ski resort and don't ski. I also see lots of people round the resort who don't look they are remotely likely to go skiing. My non-skiing mother came with us on two holidays and loved it. She liked being in the mountains, the sociable evenings, the coffee and cake, watching the skiers (especially her grandchildren).

To me it would be strange to go on a beach holiday in a warm tropical spot and not want to take out a sailing dinghy and/or a windsurfer. But it takes all sorts. wink Some people don't even go in the sea. Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You are so right about the different needs of people. We went to Oz with a non-skier this year... he hired a bike in Bourg d'Oisans and rode up Alpe D'Huez twice, in between lots of walking on the trails in AdH!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just remembered my sister's comments, after going to Kitzbuhel. She said the place was full of women in loads of make up and Gucci moonboots who didn't look too likely to be going skiing any minute. She said most of them sat round in expensive cafés waiting for the chaps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And loads of the fur-coat wearers in Cortina and Megeve don't look like they just got off the slopes, either.
snow report
@feef, the winter walking pass covers you down to Interlaken ost, also covers you to Murren, Almendhubel but not the cablecar to Birg/Pizgloria, covers cablecar or gondola to Mannlichen, the railway up to Eigergletscher, the bus up to Bussalp (theres a sledge run down from there) and the gondola to First, a surprising number of non skiers go and sunbathe on the Mannlichen by the restaurant there a lesser number at Kleine Scheidegg, plenty of things non skiers can do in many ski resorts, for that matter in Switzerland take a swiss pass and go pretty much anywhere with public transport for day trips, but better to do that in summer and enjoy lake steamers etc.
ski holidays
In response to the actual question of "Can anyone suggest somewhere (resorts / hotels) that also have decent facilities for the non-skier that won't break the bank...? " and not making any other assumptions, I would suggest somewhere like Seefeld in Austria or Castelrotto in the Dolomites. But only because these two resorts offer good quality hotels with Swimming pools/spas for reasonable prices when comparing with similar hotels in other resorts throughout the alps during winter. I know of one 4* hotel in Seefeld that does 7 nights for price of 6 in March and includes drinks at dinner. From mid march in the dolomites many hotels offer the 7 nights for price of 6 offer also. If staying in Castelrotto which I think has some of the best value accomodation in the Dolomites, you can easily access the Seiser alm plateau for walks or chilling out in one of the lovely bars/restaurants up there (assuming thats what the original poster wants to do).
ski holidays
We went to Chamonix as one of our party is a non-skier, and we are returning this year as it seemed to offer something for everyone. However, we also had kids with us so the bowling, ice skating, swimming pool in town were used in the afternoons. We also did a couple of the tourist trips from Chamonix, the ice caves and Aguille du Midi. There was also sledging and we even tried cross country skiing for a change. Seemed to work quite well for us. Eating out in town was expensive, but actually cheaper than we expected as there is lots of choice.
As everyone else has said it all depends on what you are looking for! But hope this helps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy