Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow - Where Is It?

Poster: A snowHead
All looks a bit bare - even at Tignes/Val d'espair??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks as though it might be ok above 2000m in Montgenevre if you look at the webcams there. Looks green at 1800 though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no snow this year, get a refund, go to the arctic circle. its the only possible way your going to be able to use a your skis this year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is up in the sky somewhere waiting for winter to come. It will then fall on to the mountains as it always does.

Anything you get you can ski on this early is a bonus. If you cannot ski at Christmas, then it is a bad start to the season.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@colinstone, I can tell you where its not wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@colinstone,

Well it is def not at Sierra Nevada. Unless it comes down with a vengeance this weekend looks like no chance to get a cheeky two days in Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Anything you get you can ski on this early is a bonus. If you cannot ski at Christmas, then it is a bad start to the season.

Absolutely.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I go to Val D in 3 weeks and I ain't worrying about it........yet
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UK outlook is looking a little bleak untill at least Christmas. Anything that moves us away from this fog and 99% humidity is welcome right now however.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, we had a rather lovely afternoon down here on the south coast with more forecast for tomorrow. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is in Saas Fee.....loads and loads of it, top to bottom
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
God told me, because the English are watching the French resorts like a hawk, he is sending all the snow elsewhere, and will decide to send the snow just after Christmas,. You can take that to the bank,...........
they will tell you it's cowdoo, but it's as good as most weather forcasts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love that they too the word bull, and changed the sex to cow, in my post, and then took another word and put it to poo............ what is the matter with bull? sexist I say,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
here. Canada. Swimming in it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gryphea, I hope your bits freeze off Toofy Grin
snow report
Well it is minus 20C and then quite a wind chill on top
snow conditions
@gryphea, Please crawl back into your snow hole and stop making me jealous Twisted Evil
ski holidays
The Swiss bribed the snow gods and it's all gone there.............
ski holidays
@Chris Bish, +1.... wink I'm not too fussed yet.... I've back season loaded my skiing this year, don't go until end January but then going again end Feb and early March, will maybe also think about a sneaky trip at Easter too. It's going to cool down big time next week, it's going to be a great season......now's training time!
latest report
Valtournenche, Aosta valley, picture from this morning
ski holidays
@Onnem, nice!
snow report
@Onnem, what height is this Puzzled
ski holidays
@snowcrazy

I took the picture from the live update thread on the italian skiforum. It's not me on that photo (unfortunately).
Here's the update thread http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=77214&page=492

There is also a subforum with discussion and updates per ski area http://www.skiforum.it/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
And a subforum with travel reports http://www.skiforum.it/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Paste the url into translate.google.com if you can't read Italian (like me).

The picture was taken near Salette (I recognize the location because I've been there before) which is about 2250m above sea level.
latest report
Salette above Valtournenche

Webcam (refreshed permanently)
http://www.regione.vda.it/gestione/webcamgallery/showimage.aspx?nomefile=valtour.jpg
snow report
Thanks for the links, just took a look. This is the bottom of the Zermatt area on the Italian side. The snow limit seems to be around 2100m on most of the webcams and this photo is just above the lift I think. Seems like the snow line everywhere is between 2100m and 2500m depending on which side of the alps you are. But the weather there also looks like it is getting worse so MAYBE the snow is on it's way. I hope so.
snow report
On the bottom left you see Cervinia, bottom right Valtournenche, both are resort in Valle d'Aosta, the Italian side.
ski holidays
What you see here, just like almost all of 2013-2014 season, is called a "retour d'est".

The W, NW and N slopes of the alps have a gradual slope.
Not so on the South slope - here you see an extreme steep slope. Height increases from 200-300m to 3000-4000m in just 10-20 km.

The net result of this is a strong temperature decrease during precipition due to this extreme height increase. So with SE winds, snowfall line in the Italian alps can be 300-800 (!!!) metres lower than on the northern slopes. In such a constellation the Italian alps get 2 bonuses:
1) Massive precipitation - the clouds cannot go anywhere but agains the mountains and then upwards
2) Low snowlevel due to intensive precipitation.

This effect is called "retour d'est" and is caused by a "Genua depression" - a low pressure are that originates in the gulf of Genua.
With a "retour d'est" you can see 1-2 metres of snow in 2-3 days, and with a low snowline too. At the same moment, on the northern slopes of the alps there's nothing but foehn wind, little if any precepitation which falls in the form of rain up to 2500-3000 metres.
ski holidays
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

I'm their in 2 weeks and starting to get a little concerned Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
goozy wrote:
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

I'm their in 2 weeks and starting to get a little concerned Confused

I'm not they're this season and yet I'm bricking it Shocked
snow report
@ALQ, We're worried about being bullied by Bogner Bovver Boys with Dolph Lundgren flat-top's in Courchevel in January. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@thecramps, I thought they were only on the south coast, near Portsmouth way?
Anyway, just lie forwards and think of England Laughing
latest report
Temps are dropping here. More snow will come.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy