Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is this the worst year EVER for snow ?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone remember snow arriving so late ? Can one serious dump change everything ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can remember but only if I cast my mind back all of 2 or 3 years
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I feel sorry for those resorts that had to open early this year due to lack of snow Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes and yes. The main season hasn't even started so asking if it's the worst year ever is premature at best!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alicia, puhlease....

This is normal.

In something like 1954 there was NO. SNOW. AT. ALL.

Which was probably worse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alicia wrote:
Can anyone remember snow arriving so late ?

Yes, 2011.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here you go: http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/1045-review-of-the-2011-2012-snow-and-avalanche-conditions/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Better for a dry november and snowy december than have loads of snow early and it all melt once the resorts are open.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

alicia wrote:

Yes, 2011.

Absolutely... and it was the best season ever here in Austria Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep Dec 2011, nice grass for a ski test !
https://www.facebook.com/150393364177/photos/pb.150393364177.-2207520000.1417082236./10150463497134178/?type=3&theater

whoops no photo whats going on?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not been that bad for November. The resorts that normally open at this time are open and in the sort of shape they normally are. The snow line will gradually work its way down through December.

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/live/livecams--webcams/resort-livecam.550.html

Doesn't look that bad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its this kind of topic, along with the standard "I'm off to *insert resort* 18 weeks on Tuesday, I'm starting to get a bit worried" post that really irritates on this site.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alicia wrote:
is this the worst year EVER for snow ?

No way of telling yet, but unlikely to be

Quote:

Yes - 2011 as above

Quote:
Can one serious dump change everything ?

Yes - easily.

I was skiing great snow last weekend in resort (Val T), and even skiing off-piste in some nice deeper snow. I probably won't ski this weekend, as Cham isn't quite there, but it's only the end of November!! I expect I'll get some decent skiing in next weekend, and more and more every weekend/day after that as the snow builds up during December as per usual.

It's all normal - don't worry!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alicia wrote:
Can anyone remember snow arriving so late ? Can one serious dump change everything ?

Yes and Yes. Laughing

I remember one time I was on a tour operator Xmas week trip to Westendorf in Austria. On the coach from the airport the reps were telling us that they hadn't had any snow in the resort, but not to worry as they were organising other activities like archery, walks etc... rolling eyes

I went to bed quite disheartened, thinking I'd have to make the best of a bad job. The next morning when I pulled back the curtains I could hardly believe it - there had been a big dump of snow overnight and it was still snowing! That meant I was able to ski for all of the week! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this the worst year for people on Snowheads worrying there's not much snow in November?
snow report
Is this thread intended as satire?
snow conditions
Never worry about snow in November OR get excited about it. I have looked at web cams of Tignes with apparently deep snow cover at the end of November and then looked again in early December to see it all gone.
snow conditions
Time to worry was the pre snow cannon days. Early snow cover is always unpredictable. It will come.
snow conditions
Best quotes so far:

HoneyBunny wrote:
Is this the worst year for people on Snowheads worrying there's not much snow in November?

driz wrote:
Is this thread intended as satire?

2nd best thread of the day goes to the person asking about their early ski weekend break options now they've realised they booked an early ski weekend break and there is early ski weekend conditions in the alps:
Best snow from Geneva
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114320#2617297
snow report
Are they talking about it on the SCGB forum?
ski holidays
Forecast for next three days in Geneva is 14c, 14c and 12c. OK if it is Fahrenheit. XMAS will be interesting at this rate.

Neighbours tell me 2007 was a debacle at Cham, PDS, GM etc.
latest report
Does the fact that this year's snow seems to be arriving quite late mean that, due to the lack of a decent base, the end of the season is likely to be less good? Or is that just an old wives' tale?
ski holidays
Is this the stupidest thread title ever seen in November?
ski holidays
I've been keeping an eye on tignes and they seem to have had good November snow. All up high but chill out, I'm sure the weather will too and the snow will come. Still very early for most resorts
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Are they talking about it on the SCGB forum?

the Ski Club of GB should take a leaf out of Snowheads book. Create fake users with a low post count then start controversial or stupid topics (ok ok I know they have Gerry PJSki for that but Gerry having a conversation with himself isn't exactly a forum, more a town cryer).
snow conditions
Only this November Pam Very Happy I think we get at least one of these every November - it's just pre-skiing tension.

Every year my contribution tends to be this:

Don't worry. It'll be fine. The key dump often happens mid-December but I can't remember a Christmas without reasonable cover.
The one season I worked we were skiing mid December then heavy warm rain came through and turned the mountains green to 2000m. Snow arrived again a few days before Christmas week and we ended up with the best snow for a decade.
snow report
I got this email from 'Interactive Resorts' this morning...

With a bumper start to the early ski season across the Alps, at Interactive Resorts HQ we’re looking forward to a winter season to remember. With plenty of snow already; along with some beautiful bluebird days and an almost tangible buzz in the air, it's the ideal time to get a group of friends together and head out to the slopes.
Up to two metres of the white fluffy stuff has already fallen in resorts across Europe since the start of the month, making it a fantastic start to the 2014/2015 season. With pistes open early and a distinct lack of crowds, it’s the perfect time to get up the mountain without having to queue for the lifts!

Perhaps they are exaggerating a tinsy-tiny bit? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Shame some one has not invented something to make snow on the pistes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Does the fact that this year's snow seems to be arriving quite late mean that, due to the lack of a decent base, the end of the season is likely to be less good? Or is that just an old wives' tale?

In 2011 I was working in Les Arcs, when we went out to training week at the start of December there was nothing, 2 days in it snowed continually and the base was excellent through the whole season, one of the guys I worked with hiked up the piste a couple of days after the lifts had closed to do some boarding so I'm going for old wives tale.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Means nothing. Total snowfall is what matters, whether it starts falling in November or late Dec or even Jan is irrelevant. The base is made whenever it happens to snow; it's not an early season phenomenon!
snow report
It will be alright on the night....
snow report
Quote:
Can one serious dump change everything ?

There are so many responses to that questions...
snow conditions
@red 27, had the same email.
latest report
There's MASSES of snow in the Alps. But it's concentrated on the southern side. Austria, Switzerland and NW France received 1 dump which was then erased by weeks of foehn.

I created a thread dedicated to the 2014-2015 season dumps for southern alps
http://www.wintersporters.nl/forum/topic/168454?page=4

There really isn't any shortage of snow in Cervinia

Gressoney is doing pretty well I would say

And the Canalone slope in Madesimo is in good shape

http://youtube.com/v/9FyzNXmQM2c
ski holidays
The beginning of Dec 2012 was a bit sparse too.. Dumped like an elephant with diarrhea for the two weeks I was there, tho, so got some awesome pow days!
snow report
This type of thread has been here every year I expect, especially with December starting on Monday

2011 in La Tania - have a look at Tim (before his "battles" with Gordon Ramsey ) on 4th Dec 2011 and then the 6th Dec

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/videos/2012SnowReportVideos.html

I can guarantee that it will be different this year, because every year is different. Last year it was looking good with the snow in Nov, but the dry Dec was not so good, and although it snowed around Christmas Day, off piste was rocky in New Year
ski holidays
The forecast I'm reading has the freezing level goes down to about 1500 metres next Tuesday night.

I remember arriving in Courchevel in January 2012, so I'm not worried! snowHead
latest report
Nice work @Onnem, I look forward to the English edition
snow report
@Onnem, lovely pics and somewhat reassuring
snow report
@Juddernaut as requested Wink
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wintersporters.nl%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F168454%3Fpage%3D4&edit-text=
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy