Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home Ski Waxing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Saves me some money over the years and I find it quite fun. Love tinkering in the garage and if it's skiing based all the better.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
In regard of cleaning and brushing and hot wax scraping.... I've never done that Embarassed

What does it give you exactly? Is it so important?

For the recreational skier/boarder the biggest advantage to well waxed equipment is the ability to glide over flat pistes. It will also make turns easier to execute and use less effort, allowing you to ride/ski longer. The speed element is only relevant if the guys you ride with like caning it at mach 3 or if you race in any sort of discipline.

It's not essential but having well maintained equipment defo has its advantages!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not spent a fortune by any means. Only purchased a waxing iron, Toko Wax, Toko combo brass and nylon brush, cork block, gummi stone and an Holmenkol edging tool with variable edge angle settings. This was the most expensive item as important to be able to edge skis to the correct edge angle. Shop around on line and you can amass what you need easily. Figure the initial outlay will pay for itsef within one season as no ski shop near where I live and I also have the wife's skis to service ! having owned skis for 25 years or so thought it would be interesting to learn more about them and how to maintain them properly.

Griggs
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same here Griggs .. I'm off for 12 weeks this season and have my three boys skis to do too...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
limegreen1 wrote:
Pan scourers ?
They are " fine structure pads" .. rolling eyes

Look like pan scourers to me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry my question appears to have not been clear.

What does pre-wax cleaning and brushing and hot wax scraping give you? Is it hugely beneficial to a non-racer servicing their skis.

I don't mind doing it but don't want to go overkill on my home servicing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It will also make turns easier to execute and use less effort

haha that gave me a good laugh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geeo wrote:
Quote:

It will also make turns easier to execute and use less effort

haha that gave me a good laugh

Straight out of the BASI Teaching Handbook...I kid you not!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne,
Quote:

What does pre-wax cleaning and brushing and hot wax scraping give you? Is it hugely beneficial to a non-racer servicing their skis.

Cleaning -- when you are doing a repair (Filling a hole) cleaning the base will make your repair material stick better.

Brushing gives a structure to your base -- which makes you skis run faster !

Hot scrape -- after applying your wax --- scraping straight away will clean the base for you -- so you can then wax again and get a faster ski. -- Dryslope racers do this to heat their skis so thay can apply the stupidly hard wax they use to avoid the base of the ski melting.

For a recreational use I am in the camp that says I wax my skis to prevent damage --- I'm not overly bothered about them running very fast . So I'll clean them only when repairs are needed, I do brush them (becuase I have the brushes and it does not take long). I always use universal wax for snow so not need to hot scrape.... and that's about it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Straight out of the BASI Teaching Handbook...I kid you not!

Must be true then Smile

Quote:

For a recreational use I am in the camp that says I wax my skis to prevent damage

haha that also gave me a good laugh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@geeo, A waxed ski will have less friction that a non-waxed one -- therefore less damage from stone etc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski, cheers bud. Sounds like I'm doing all that's necessary for the family kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy