Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after back surgery?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following years of agony with the last 12 months being the worse had a disectomy and bone spur removed two months ago. Overall recovery has been good with plenty of walking etc. I still have foot pain and think I'll just have to live with that. Question is .... Is it to early to ski? Anything I should double check? Any others who have had similar? Ski'd for years including last winter. Thanks Oxy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to be sure you have enough strength in the muscles supporting the spine. ( otherwise known as core muscles)

The physio who did you rehab should be able to assess that but you will have had to do a great deal of exercises if you had surgery as the muscles will have been very weak.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Question is .... Is it to early to ski?"

That's really a question for your doctor and/or physio surely?! A back injury is pretty serious ("years of agony" as you put it) and I would be reluctant to take advice on your ability to continue skiing from anyone not medically qualified and familiar with your exact injury.

Also bear in mind your travel insurance policy - would have thought there could be potential issues in the unlikely event of an injury relating to your existing condition if you don't have doctors approval to ski etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Oxymoronracing, I had a similar issue several years ago. Years of back pain, culminating in a discectomy - but in my case I was left with considerable permanent nerve damage and still have limited feeling in my right leg and foot. I had surgery late August, by October could walk a reasonable distance. I had lots of physio - 12 weeks of twice a week, then four weeks of once per week. I went skiing in February, and got on quite well, though more core was MUCH weaker than I would have liked - caused considerable entertainment trying to stand up off low chairlifts in Serre Chevalier! Since then I did Pilates for several years, lots of gym training for years, running, and lots and lots of skiing. My skiing is now only slightly affected by the nerve damage and lack of feeling.
I know things can be different for different people, but from my perspective lots of physio, and a certain amount of bloody-minded determination was the key. (My consultant told me I would never cope with distance running again - it took 7 years but I ran the Edinburgh Marathon in 2013!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

That's really a question for your doctor and/or physio surely?!

Absolutely! Can't imagine having a serious back problem needing surgery then trying to get medical advice on a forum!
Hope the Doc gives you the all clear and you can be back on skis this season
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy