Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do we watch the FIS World Cup this year on TV?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone,

How do we best watch the World Cup on TV this year, assuming that we don't have satellite but access to broadband and Freeview?

I don't mind if it is in German or French.

What has the venerable Ski Sunday got planned?

thanks,

BillS
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BillS, A pity you don't have satellite, if you have a dish pointing to the Astra 1 position at 19 deg E you can get German language Eurosport for free.
Failing that you can get the FIS World Cup races on Eurosport Player on the internet for a fee: http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/learn-more.shtml
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A BTSport subscription includes Eurosport. (But does require BT broadband.)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use Eurosport Player online (connected to my TV - about to attempt using Chromecast so that I can actually use my computer for other stuff at the same time). It works pretty well, and as I don't want the other satellite channels, is a lot cheaper paying monthly in the ski season than having a TV subscription.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My brother did mention to me a couple of weeks ago that Ski Sunday is not starting until January this winter.
Not sure if they are starting with Zagreb or Adelboden.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Bell, the trouble with Ski Sunday is that it is old news before it even starts. With so many options for watching the racing live, it needs to re-think its niche. I thought last year's format was hopeless despite Graham's best efforts. As the Beeb has lost so many sports to the big bucks offered by Sky, perhaps they could start sending out teams to the WC races to cover them or do what Eurosport do, which is commentate locally on a feed from the slopes provided by the local TV provider.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Samerberg Sue, much as I would like that very much it's not going to happen. The uk tv audience just wouldn't merit it on their calculations.

The biggest error they have made in recent years was dropping the "high altitude" element of the programme, that was generally, even for only the mildly snow interested, a good watch.

The bbc aren't actually interested in the financials in some respects, they gave up f1 rights on the basis of cost cutting but still spend about the same.

Bring back high altitude and they will drag in more people who like the top gear esque format, though not massive numbers like top gear.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ansta1, yep either drop the racing side as the main attraction and concentrate on the High Altitude side of things with a short summary of results for those vaguely interested. Those really interested have turned to alternative live sources any way. Currently it is basically a waste of 30 minutes or whatever unless there's nothing else on and you are desperate for a "snow" fix. I think Graham is a good presenter, but they can drop Ed Leigh as far as I'm concerned, not because he's a snowboarder, he's just hugely irritating in a Russell Brand type of "look at me I'm radical" way. I'd love to see Emma Carrick-Anderson fronting it but that's highly unlikely as she is busy teaching through the season. Much as I like and admire Chemmy, a good presenter/commentator she ain't!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobW, I have BT broadband with BT sport and there's no Eurosport on it. I don't get to see any of the ski racing apart from Ski Sunday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BillS, a basic Sky subscription includes Eurosport HD and Eurosport 1&2 you don't have to have Sky Sports.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell wrote:
My brother did mention to me a couple of weeks ago that Ski Sunday is not starting until January this winter.
Not sure if they are starting with Zagreb or Adelboden.

Glad to hear Ski Sunday will be on again soon, certainly been missed in our house.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia wrote:
@RobW, I have BT broadband with BT sport and there's no Eurosport on it. I don't get to see any of the ski racing apart from Ski Sunday.

Probably depends which package you've signed up for. On our BT TV, Eurosport 1 is on channel 513 and Eurosport 2 is on channel 514 - spent most of last weekend watching the racing from Levi on it. We would not have moved from Sky to BT if Eurosport was not available.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46017/~/what-extra-channels-are-availble-on-bt-tv%3F
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On Eurosport yesterday, on my middle of the road Virgin package.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobW, that explains it. I don't have Infinity BT, so I can't get all the extra channels. In theory I could subscribe to Eurosport online but it's a bit too stuttery to be worth the expense.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you don't mind a few dodgy pop ups and your anti-virus is up to date, try Wiziwig or Front Row Sports (put either in Google) for live streams of any sport. Quality can be a bit pants, but it gets the job done for me at work, where the sporting TV choice is football, football, football and The Lingerie League wink on "Extreme Puzzled Sports" channel 419. http://uk.extreme.com/blog/outdoor/961/lingerie-football-you-have-to-see-it-to-believe-it
ski holidays
Oh you are a naughty boy @Sarge, wink

Hope the mrs doesn't look at my browsing history Blush
latest report
http://m.liveonlinetv247.net/eurosport.php

lots of other sports channels there too Blush
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
The biggest error they have made in recent years was dropping the "high altitude" element of the programme, that was generally, even for only the mildly snow interested, a good watch.

Yep, thought that it was a really good programme that showed something you don't generally get on terrestrial telly. It was on before I really got into skiing and I still found it a really good watch and far more interesting than the racing that was out of date.

For any sporting TV my first port of call is always livetv.sx/en not so good on football but never lets me down in getting a stream for NHL games or motorsport...although as with all 'streaming' sites it's worth having an adblocker switched on.

Not sure about BT coming with Eurosport though, it's available as a channel but IIRC you need a subscription. If you have BT Broadband then you do have access to BT Sport channels and ESPN, but not Eurosport as far as I'm aware.
ski holidays
I watch it on the Norweigan TV.
snow conditions
Eurosport 1.
Today Sunday 13/12/2015
12:30
ALPINE SKIING
Live Alpine Skiing World Cup - Are, Sweden: Women's SL 2nd Run (60min)

13:30
SKI JUMPING
Live Ski Jumping World Cup - Nizhny Tagil - Men's Individual HS134 (135min)

Buy a dish at least 80 cms would be good for UK, buy a box, line it up and away you go.
If you are motorised even better. Lots of stuff on RTL too like Formula 1. That would be my recomendation. Very Happy Gerry
ski holidays
If you can cope with German commentary then ZDF also show live coverage of ski races (via satellite), though they have yet to get in on this season, but they will follow through to the finals in March. They also have commentators and pundits at the race and they have covered live the Blue Riband events at Adelboden, Kitzbuehel and Wengen that Eurosport 1 hasn't in the past.
RTL as @gerrysom, covers the F1 season live, every race, though you do have to cope the very extensive advertising breaks that frequently interrupt the coverage, ITV's coverage was seamless by comparison! Oh and there's the small matter of the RTL anchorman's dress sense, his shirts are louder than an F1 car, Eddie Jordan you're forgiven!!
ski holidays
davidthornton, The Eurosport 1 broadcasts that are free will also have German commentary.

One thing to watch out for, some satellite decoders on sale in the UK will only lock on to the Freesat signal, not to the signal for any other satellite. I have one of these that is easy to set up to find any signal and will also record to an external USB disk.
snow report
For those of us who don't have satellite or fast broadband the FIS website offers live timing. It's a poor substitute for actually watching the racing, but it's all I've got.
snow report
@davidthornton, ZDF share the broadcasts with ARD ( that's like BBC 1 & 2) so sometimes the skiing is on one channel, then the next its on the other one. There's a lot of moaning here to both ZDF and ARD about the absence of coverage in the early part of the season. This has only occurred since they took on Maria Höfl-Riesch as the expert commentator (she is a real airhead and useless by the way). She has other media commitments so cannot do the early races. They showed some of last weekend's racing as I saw her interviewing someone in the background during a Eurosport interview, I presume it was on the Sportsschau on ARD. I watched a couple of races with her commentating and then rapidly switched to Eurosport where even Nick Fellowes blathering was preferable to Maria talking about her friends and not analysing the racers impartially. Bring back Markus Wasmeier and proper coverage please!

Emma Carrick-Anderson and Matt Chilton made an excellent team on Eurosport UK's coverage of the races in Val d'Isere. Really good analysis and useful background information. The reporting on the ladies races at Are started well with Chemmy on Saturday because Fellowes let her lead. Yesterday however, he was back to his normal verbal diarrhea mode, rudely talking over Chemmy's analysis and spoiling the enjoyment of having a really knowledgeable person there. How he manages to keep his job when he is such an annoyingly bad commentator defies reason. Total waste of space!

I'll watch ES UK again if ECA &/or Chemmy commentate, otherwise I'm sticking to Frank Wörndl on ES Germany!
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, ZDF, in recent seasons have had comprehensive coverage each week. Not sure Frank Woerndl's flat tones are preferable.
ski holidays
@davidthornton, He's a damned sight more knowledgeable than Maria. I used to watch the ARD/ZDF coverage in preference to the ES Germany one because there were no commercial breaks, so it meant more interviews. Plus we had a really entertaining commentator in Markus Wasmeier Since Markus was kicked out to make room for the airhead Höfl-Riesch, they have lost viewers hand-over-fist to ES. As it is free here and included in our normal Free-to-view channel bundle, it is obvious that people who really want intelligent commentary listen to Wörndl. I don't find his commentary "flat toned" at all, but then I understand the many nuances of Bavarian German which perhaps a non-dom would not. wink
snow conditions
Not convinced that Eurosport commentators are not in resort given the comments about being at the top of the hill interviewing that were made on Saturday's Val Gardena downhill.

That said they will be watching a feed unless they have an ability to follow skiers down the course. Feed in UK is clearly slightly delayed as Nick F was commenting on Mayer's crash before it appeared on screen.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy