Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Train question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok guys as you can tell I really like the idea of using the train to get to the French Alps. But how would one go about doing this early/late season when the Eurostar doesn't run the direct service to resorts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Put your dates in here:

http://www.bahn.de/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Change in Paris? That often works out cheaper than the direct train anyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Change in Paris
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chrisrawles, www.loco2.com is good and in English, uses multiple fare engines to get best prices.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@chrisrawles, all the advice you need about different routes to get to the Alps (not just French) is on http://snowcarbon.com/ and http://seat61.com/

bahn.de, from altis's post above, is good for timetables.

loco2.com is one of the better English booking sites. I find it's usually cheaper to pay in Euro direct with one of the French booking sites, so use http://capitainetrain.com (and I can give you a code to get 10 euro off I think) but your credit card fees may vary.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...in Paris, don't get the Metro, get the RER line, which is similar to the tube but can be quicker. it was only 4 stops and €1.50 to get from Gare Du Nord to Gare de Lyon. Pretty easy really
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To see all the resorts you can get to by train and connecting bus, prepare to be gob smacked by the choice using the ALTIBUS map, which is the bus service that connects transport hubs to resorts. Book well in advance on line or on arrival at the final train station.

See: http://www.altibus.com/plan-des-lignes-rp84.aspx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All the sites mentioned are great for finding extra info. The order I would use them to hone my choice would be:
ALTIBUS for resorts and their local stations
Seat 61 and snow carbon for train route research
Ski club gb for resort info
Bahn for train times
Train ticket websites for booking
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you get Eurostar to Paris (for best fares book 120 days in advance) in the afternoon/eve, then sleeper from Paris booking a couchette (best fares released midnight French time 90 days in advance or try for mid week travel) you will arrive at the resort station fresh and early in the morning ready to catch the connecting bus and ski. We do this with kids. French ppl are quiet and respectful on sleeper trains in my experience. Cross your fingers that you aren't next to a gang of alcoholic Brits.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pablito wrote:
...in Paris, don't get the Metro, get the RER line, which is similar to the tube but can be quicker.
This does depend, of course, where you're going.

Most night trains leave from Gare d'Austerlitz which is 9 stops on metro line 5 from Gare du Nord.
Most daytime trains depart from Gare de Lyon which is 2 stops away on the RER line 2 iirc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's now a direct TGV from Lille to Geneva (from 14th December) so you can do Eurostar/TGV without having to get across Paris, just changing in Lille. Then you just need to organise getting up to your resort...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chrisrawles, lots of good advice here. Now you just need to sort out timing.
You can get across Paris in an hour, but if this is your first time then go for 2 hours.
The metro/RER is a fun adventure - do a bit or reading before, know which line you need and in which direction, its a flat rate for whatever journey you need, and tickets can be got with cash or card at variety of places on your way down from the overground station. Fare €1.70.
If bit daunted by underground then take a taxi. Fare about 15 Euros, and you get to see a bit of Paris. Worth booking your seat at the front of the train (you can change your seat when booking Eurostar) to make sure you get near the front of the taxi queue. Also worth checking out the Gare du Nord plan to know wnere the taxi rank is - essentially, turn right as soon as you get to the main concourse after walking down the platform.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The RER train from Nord to Lyon takes 8 minutes. RER frequency is approx every ten minutes.

I usually do the whole transfer from leaving Eurostar to getting TGV in under 30 minutes, but I have done it many times. Most people should be able to manage it in under an hour if not done the transfer before.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndrewsPeppers is of course right: you can get across Paris from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon in under 30 minutes, if you know exactly where you are going.
But the area below Gare du Nord can be quite confusing the first time. And out of peak hours the RER intervals can be nearer 20 minutes.
Then when you get to Gare de Lyon, the layout is also confusing, with 2 separate above ground sections (Halls 1 and 2) and a large underground section (Hall 3)
(see http://www.garedelyon.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/plan-gare-de-lyon.png).
Finding your train can be daunting the first time.

And then, why rush and miss the chance of a meal in the Train Blue . . . .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy