Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cascades run down from Flaine?

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of my skier mates are looking forward to doing this run. After some research I gather that there are some flat bits. How bad they? I'm pretty good at carrying speed when nesesscary, but as I snowboard it can get pretty annoying when I have to unstrap. Do any skiers or boarders think it's possible to do with minimal poling/scooching?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a long flat and a bit of uphill at the start. You will have to un-strap. I'm a skier and pretty good at skating (even up slight hills) and I couldn't do it. Once you're past that first bit though the rest is fine. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Leave a lot of time to do this run
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's also often closed, so may be best not to get your heart set on going down it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My mate who was on his board jumped on the back of my skis and held is board for lots of the flat sections. You will definitely need to unstrap. It is not a particularly interesting run skiing/boarding wise - but it is quite scenic and peaceful. I certainly wouldn't give up a morning in the powder to do it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Likewise, done it on a board, had to bootpack a couple of sections mainly because not knowing the route I didn't carry enough speed or had to scrub it for some reason, but probably only the really long bit at the beginning is the bit that you can't avoid. as @cham08 says, nice enough but probably only a do it once to tick it off...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wouldn't do it unless you're staying in Sixt/Morillon, and then do it only at the end of the day. Thought the only nearby lift coming back is from Morrillon, a bus ride away?
All I remember was a load of poling near the top (may have been where we ended up at the top of the last lift of the day?), and then a narrow icy descent (that'll probably be weather dependent).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a pleasant day out especially if you stop at the restaurant half way down, we used to do it most weeks with clients, back in the days when guiding was allowed rolling eyes

If you don't want to skate (on skis) or walk (on Boards) you have to be totally committed and at every slight descent choose your moment and tuck and straight line it, you will/should be able to/ just roll out the other end of the flat.

Once you're there you can take your Board/Skis off and you'll be waiting about 10 minutes for everyone to walk to you.

IIRC you need to do this twice only, the rest is a pleasant run.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First part very flat, second part scenic, final bit narrow with some sharp turns but fun especially without crowds as you can throw yourself round the bends. One to tick off the list but not one to go out of your way to do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do it as soon as it opens in the morning to avoid ice and bus queue.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did it in 2012 after 5 previous years in Flaine, was very unimpressed in it, for the amount of interesting skiing done in the time it takes I felt is was a waste of time, and would have preferred to do some of the other more challenging and varied runs in the GM, after the first 1 km or so it's a blue road through tress without any really worthwhile views. ( just my option of course as I wait to be shot down Very Happy )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The best thing about The Cascades is to get the snow-cat drag back up to the restaurant, if that doesn't float your boat, the bit from the Gers down to the restaurant is ace.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do it if interested in the fantastic scenery only, oh and if you love the cross trainer in the gym
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Echoing above, it's usually closed. Top section very very flat (bit that is open) so useless for boarders and frankly not worth the effort by skiers although it does link in with the top of a couple of decent runs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes it's icy and the poling is a bit annoying. But its a good route to avoid the end of day carnage on the liaison fromFlaine to Samoens on busy days. There a cafe at the bottom for a vin chaud while waiting for the ski bus.
snow report
@Minnie, good point I'd do it again on that basis if staying in Samoen or Morrilon
snow report
Dont the buses from the bottom of cascades stop quite early and then switch to the main round samoens buses?
ski holidays
Done it a few times. Yes the top is a bit flat, and the bottom zig-zags can be slushy/muddy, but apart from that my kids like it. Youngest says is give him a sense of adventure being so long and away from the lifts, while his big brother insists on doing it non-stop top to bottom - which I find a real challenge as my legs are usually screaming by the time I get to the zig-zags.
latest report
@marcellus, The last cascades bus is a paying one (i.e not free!) and 3.30pm as far as i remember, but memory may be a bit faded as we did it 2 years ago when gers drag broke and we had to race down cascades to catch it, so was not really looking at the time, just go as fast as possible. Timing may be a bit more friendly now??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy