Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Val d'isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok first trip to Val on Monday. Taking the car through the tunnel on Sunday and staying overnight in Calais, then an early start to get to Val in one day. Hope to arrive around 4.00. Questions are:

what are the roads like once you get off the Autoroute? Are they likely to be deep in snow? Will I need my Snow Chains?, how 'easy' is it to find Val and what's the parking like in the centre? (staying at the hotel Mercure).

Any help from anyone with local knowledge would be much appreciated. I do have maps and a Sat Nav so not too worried about directions, more road conditions and anything I might not have thought of.

Thanx in advance snowHead

SimonT
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan wrote:

what are the roads like once you get off the Autoroute? Are they likely to be deep in snow?

SimonT

Oooooo I do hope so wink ( Travelling to Tignes on 23rd )

I drove to BSM area this time last year when it was snowing - roads were okay until I got the other side of BSM and started the climb - chains were required to get up to Villaroger which is 1200m.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By Monday I guess that any snow which falls on Friday/Saturday will be pretty much cleared all the way up to Val. Depending on where you are staying in Val, you might need chains for the very final part of your journey when you leave the main road through Val and join the local road to your hotel. Just to be safe, pack an old jacket/sweatshirt and a pair of gloves in case you do need to fit chains.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk,

Thanks for that, will bring the necessarys. I'm staying at the hotel Mercure which I believe is right in the centre?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan, Absolutely no probs with the journey. Take your chains, but should be fine unless it's actually snowing at the time. The road to Val is pretty good all the way, well signposted from BSM - absolutely no sweat. Very Happy Use map and town names, not satnav - they seem to send you all over the place!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would have a small worry about parking in Val. I think it is a big issue there. Maybe not too bad right now, but there are times in the season when they make you park in the big underground car park at La Daille and won't let you drive into the town. Has the hotel got parking?

snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish, There's a huge underground car park right in the centre of town.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with all other snowHead advice. I have driven that route a few times and roads are generally kept very clear, it is a busy route for much of the season! Definately take snow chains. We drove a Lincoln Town Car (60 inch stretched Limo!) up there in January last year in probably the worst conditions I have seen on that road. It would have been ok but the rear air suspension suddenly got a leak in it after we put the chains on so the back bumper was scraping on the floor as we entered Val! It took an inspired piece of driving to get it in the underground car park at La Daille as well. Survived to tell the tale though. All in the name of roadtrips.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, good advice gratefully received!

(Just trying out the smiley site)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow chains are probably legally obligatory anyway.

Last time I was there, there was also a big open air car park at La Daille which will be cheaper than the underground although you may have to dig out when you leave. If you do not need your car for the week you can dump your luggage at the hotel, park and then come back up on the free bus.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richjp wrote:
Last time I was there, there was also a big open air car park at La Daille which will be cheaper than the underground

It's a free car park.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The resort will be busier next week, but it was absolutely deserted today. There's some 'weather' expected over the weekend, so there could be snowy roads, but at least you're driving down on a quiet day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richjp,

I believe you are right about them being obligatory (to carry), it was whether I would actually need to use them that I was wondering Puzzled

(test fitted one at the weekend, just to be sure I could!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
The resort will be busier next week, but it was absolutely deserted today. There's some 'weather' expected over the weekend, so there could be snowy roads, but at least you're driving down on a quiet day.

Don't be coy, there is going to be a big dump isn't there snowHead

Do you think the roads will be very busy/horrid from GVA to BSM/Val/Tignes on Friday 23rd or will Christmas Eve be worse?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP, Worse on Sat I should think - check with PG though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy