Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc 2014 - Les Contamines / Megeve / St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Well well well

http://www.lescontamines.net/webcam.html?

about a foot of cover above 1800m on the Les Contamines bowls - very skiable given it's not rocky underneath. Lifts not open yet of course.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking forward to 14 Feb with family. Snow already falling elsewhere and I am sure it will be fine by then. Also lucky me is at Chamonix the weekend before on a lads weekend away :blush
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, I thought they might have managed to open a little bit. I suppose the higher skiing is not cannoned and the lower slopes too low.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Information a couple of days late now but FWIW

We left Les C in the rain on Sunday - snow line was somewhere up the mountain but quite where I'm not sure. Web cams suggest they got enough snow to pretty-up the higher pistes.
We had a good week with the Les C pistes only getting worn by Friday/Saturday when they were deteriorating sharply. Saturday skiing a bit effected by some rain and not enough sun to soften. Off-piste is thin. Some fun to be had earlier in the week if you were careful. Overall decent piste skiing to be had but more snow needed.

We spent one day over St Nicholas/St Gervais/Megeve way on the 30th. It was very striking how much worse the conditions were than in Les C (lots of bare / stony patches at a time when Les C slopes were spotless) - just shows the bit of extra altitude and closeness to the head of the valley makes a difference to snow fall and retention.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. The webcams do show the snow thinning rapidly and the nursery slopes where the ski School is are mud. Oh dear it had better improve in the next 5 weeks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, LES C often has the best snow in that area. Glad you found some nice conditions. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@archers,

our place looks straight at those nursery slopes so we got to see them turn partly brown in the rain. boo.

still forecast looks reasonably cold overnight so they should get the cannons on it this week.

I'm back there in early feb and at half term so am in the same boat as you

@pam w,

thanks Pam - we definitely got lucky. We travelled Boxing Day evening and so were in our flat watching the snow come down rather than stuck in a jam!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone out there at the moment? I have a friend heading to Megeve next week and he's wondering about the conditions
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
whatever it's like at the moment (and driving through it looks grotty) it'll be a lot better by next week. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be quite optimistic in his shoes. having surveyed the webcams there is skiing to low levels at the moment (albeit looks like cannons and bare patches as you go lower). They have just had a little fresh and there is more in the forecast. I think he can relax.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woo hoo lots of snow - just got to hope it stays for the next 4 weeks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

just got to hope it stays for the next 4 weeks!

it won't. The snow levels are still too low to be able to keep the non-cannoned areas going for long, especially steeper runs, but this week is cold, and there is some more precipitation in the offing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lovely conditions in Les Contamines yesterday. The Valeray drag opened for the first time this season which opened up that whole side of the mountain with huge acres of untracked powder. Snow still excellent on shadier elevations. Tracked areas on sunny slopes can be a little refrozen and unpleasant.

Weather was interesting - plenty of sun but thick mist boiling up from the valley. Sun to whiteout in seconds.

Pistes are absolute perfection. A few cold days after all that snow and they have been bashed firm but with no hint of ice (even on the home runs both sides).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am in Chamonix this weekend and weather perfect there with great pistes as well. When you get back down there is thick mist in the valley but great sun above with hardly any ice. In St Gervais next week for half term so hoping the snow doesn't get too melted as there is no more snow forecast
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at weather forecast looks like lots of snow the same day everyone else on the continent is travelling down to St Gervais this Saturday 14th. Perfect storm conditions just like 27 December when everyone got stuck. Possibly up to 30cm of snow. Am travelling with the kids from Calais 9am and have snow chains but not winter tyres. Should I book a hotel for Saturday night en route and arrive Sunday? If so where would be best that is close to the journey end? Bonneville?
snow conditions
When heading to st gervais in the past and needing an overnight we have always stayed at at Annemasse. F1 is fine for us, but there are other options.
snow report
@archers, Chatter on the 2014/2015 Weather thread suggests there's not going to be much of a storm this weekend .. hope that's right cause I'm driving in to SG on Sat morning from Nuits Saint Georges .. there is a blip that might bring some snow but it comes and goes from the various forecasting models so most of the comments don't hold out much hope for a big dumping.
snow report
Similar - Driving from Dole to Les Contamines on Saturday. If the weather looks to be closing in for Sat AM we'll just cut and run from Dole early doors and aim to get past GVA by 07:30
latest report
@NoDosh, That is early .. but I've been thinking about an early escape on Sat too if it snows .. shame to miss the continental breakfast at the B&B but it beats spending 20 hours stuck in traffic to go that last 5 miles. The Xmas snowmageddon reports were pretty horrific.
snow conditions
OK. I know the snow report is difficult to predict well this far ahead but it does look like quite a bit. I will keep checking and see how it goes but Annemasse could work. Thanks
ski holidays
@bpirkle, Early, yes, but if the weather dictates it I'd rather sit in Bar Rhodos in Les Contamines having breakfast with the locals Cool
snow report
@archers, Zoom in/out on this view and you will see the number of hotels from St Julien en Genevoiis to Annemasse.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/hotel/@46.1143021,6.108262,12z

Loads to choose from - but they will fill up quickly if weather is bad so worth having half a dozen on speed dial/loaded into your browser for if you decide to stop overnight.
latest report
Ok great thanks
snow conditions
@NoDosh, I'd go for that early start whether it snows or not.
snow report
Just back from Les Contamines - fantastic sunny week with good piste conditions (perfect at start, good at end - more hard patches) and was snowing as we left so should be lovely now.
Off-piste was a real mixed bag depending on elevation - we had fresh tracks most days with a little ingenuity but some were in spring snow, a lot of the mountain was lovely chalk, some crust and some nasty refrozen chop. Did a little touring and will post some pics eventually.
snow report
I take it you weren't on the Roselette lift on Thursday then....... Laughing
snow conditions
Unfortunately my wife fell and broke her pelvis last Thursday while skiing, adding to the many helicopter rescue's each day and is still at Sallanches hospital (in very good care). However we didn't leave on Saturday till after we had said goodbye, by which time there had been an accident on the A40 and we got stuck in the ensuing 5 and a half hour stoppage on the motorway and then 2 and a half hours of driving at 25 miles an hour due to the snowfall and general conditions and sheer weight of traffic Crying or Very sad we are hoping my wife will be flown back on Wednesday. Bit of a disaster holiday as my daughter had flu on the way down and fainted twice in the apartment before we could get her to a doctor. However the weather was good although snow was getting a bit thin towards the end and icy in patches. Unfortunately I crossed over my wife's ski tips and sort of caused the accident although it was on a narrow link section down from the restaurant at La Folie Douce above St Gervais down to what is an easy green run, but the link section was very narrow and busy. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@archers, oh dear, that sounds really miserable, especially feeling partly responsible. Have they had to operate on her pelvis? Has your insurance company been good?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks pam w. Didn't have to operate but she is feeling the bones grinding together. The french doc basically said lots of bed rest and painkillers. Insurance company have been Ok though I had to chase them today and found out the hospital had sent them a Fit to Fly certificate on Friday but they clearly hadn't realised till I rang them today. Anyway they have agreed to a stretcher repatriation probably on Wednesday. They also kept saying they couldn't do ANYTHING till we had the doctors report, and kept hassling
us for it even though the email had been sent. Never mind, all sorted now (well, nearly - no details on the travel arrangements yet)
latest report
@archers, sounds a bit like my pelvic injury - fractured upper and lower pubic rami but not displaced. Prescribed crutches, painkillers and gave myself antithrombosis injections. Encouraged to keep moving, not bed rest - so maybe your wife's situation is more complicated. Doc told me that weight bearing (or a crutch slipping) would be painful but wouldn't do any damage, which was very reassuring.

Getting in and out of bed was painful - and turning over impossible. I'd have hated a stretcher evacuation and the accompanying bed pans etc. I stayed in my apartment for 3.5 weeks till I could get about more easily and was then driven home by my sister and brother in law, in my own car. Sitting in a soft chair, or a car seat, was absolutely fine - just had to be careful moving. My insurers did offer to repatriate me right away but I couldn't easily have coped in a three storey house at home - never got very good with crutches on stairs!

Mine healed up really well and quickly. Injured in early January, skiing again end of March. A much easier recovery than the many skiers who damage their knee ligaments.

The fracture people in the NHS might recommend a bone density scan.
snow conditions
@archers, unfortunately ski accidents do happen and we've had a couple of guests over the years end up in Sallanches - the care there for ski injuries is really excellent. Please don't think any longer about who or what caused the accident - accidents happen all the time. I am actually going to Sallanches on Wednesday so if for any reason she's things don't work out the way you hope, please PM me and I can take her anything she needs and will happily go and say hello.
ski holidays
Thanks very much miranda and pam. She had to have the husband of the person in the bed next to hers buy some extra food today as the pain of the physio got so bad it took lots of energy out of her but they don't bring round food often enough for her to regain her energy! I am afraid we have a 3 storey house too and no downstairs loo so she will probably have to use a commode! I will let miranda know if she needs any help on Wednesday. She is in Chirurgie A, Sarah Archer. Thanks
latest report
Ouch - not a great week for a few of us there. Hope the repatriation journey goes smoothly and fingers crossed for a swift recovery.
snow report
Quote:

the pain of the physio

Shocked I wonder what the purpose of physio is at this stage? Sounds horrid. I did quite enough physio working out how to make myself a cup of tea and get it back to the table beside my chair, whilst on two crutches. The answer was two "mid stations" Laughing

By the way, the reason I was so hopeless on stairs with crutches was that I didn't need to use any. Your wife will probably soon get adept at getting around - especially if the alternative is a commode. Physio IS useful for that. I had some physio once my bones were knitted to work on the soft tissues which weren't great after sitting around so much and which had also been strained in the initial impact.

She is probably dreading the evacuation - except that it will put an end to the physio - but it will be nice to be home and out of hospital and the people who do those things are very good at it. I had several very pleasant and skilful young Frenchmen getting me in and out of ambulances.

I'm waiting to hear what the fracture clinic verdict is on my niece's husband who broke his collar bone and tore several ligaments on Friday - they were staying in my apartment. She had a long and difficult drive back in the "Snowmageddon" on Saturday. He's not going to be able to work for weeks - possibly months - and now the adrenaline has worn off life is rather difficult as he's in a lot of pain and she has to go to work.
ski holidays
I know someone who's brother is a surgeon and he said that bones knit back together more quickly when they move around than when they are completely immobile. I am sure the physio helps with that. I'm more worried about physically looking after her at home as I have to go to work about 20 miles away and as mentioned before we have no downstairs loo. How soon was it before you managed to get up and around?
snow conditions
Quote:

How soon was it before you managed to get up and around?

Immediately. The doctor had me walk across the clinic on crutches, as I'd never used them before, then called the ambulance to take me home to my apartment. No hospital. I was able to get from my comfy chair to the loo, in and out of bed and even (the most difficult) in and out of the shower, which is over the bath.

I could sit with no pain at all on a soft seat (I had sat with no pain on the snow, after the injury - I just couldn't put any weight at all on my left leg). I had to move carefully and getting in and out of bed involved supporting the injured side leg with the good leg. Going to the loo in the night was a mission, but doable. I propped my crutches up beside the bed and said some very rude words when I knocked them over.

I reckon getting around like that is all the "physio" needed for a few weeks.

For a few days it was very nice to have somebody else make me a cup of tea and something to eat (I had friends staying) but after the first week I was on my own in the apartment, with friends in another building who were keeping me well looked after and came down to supper every evening. I could stand at the sink and do something like make a soup, having laboriously assembled the ingredients.

My 80 year old mother did the same injury, falling in my kitchen, years ago. No treatment, just painkillers. She was in hospital for a bit but hated it and discharged herself to my care. Because of her age and lack of strength, especially upper body strength, she was not very mobile for a while but was always able to get to and from the toilet under her own steam using the "Rollator" walking aid she'd had for some years - we had to rent a special gizmo to raise the seat. But it was on the same floor and we moved her bed downstairs to be near it. She couldn't have managed crutches but that was because of lack of upper body strength, not the injury. She'd been bed-panned in hospital but said that had been very painful.

It is FAR less painful to get around on crutches than any other way IME. Really not very painful at all, except when one of the damned thing slipped. Skullie

I hope the hospital is coaching your wife in how to use them.

I would absolutely not have wanted third parties moving me around in bed. Doing it my way it wasn't too painful. The ambulance people put me in a kind of "sedan chair" to get me up and down stairs, letting me take my time getting in and out.
snow report
Ok thanks. I think my wife is having problems learning to use crutches as the injured side is on her stronger leading leg and she just can't remember not to step off with it so she gets excruciating pain when she does. Its a double break one above the other so quite big although I am sure it will be better soon
latest report
Quote:

she just can't remember not to step off with it so she gets excruciating pain when she does. Its a double break one above the other so quite big although I am sure it will be better soon

Oh dear, that does sound sore, and it certainly would be excruciating - but I'm sure she'll soon learn how to move in a way that reduces the pain.

Sounds a similar injury - a break on the upper and lower limb.

Would it be possible for your wife to have a bed, a comfy chair (preferably with a footstool) and a loo all within easy reach on the same floor in your house? The other necessities would be the makings of hot drinks. And obviously telephone, laptop/tablet etc, maybe a TV. You could leave her plenty of nice things to eat.

She'll need to be able to call on somebody nearby if she needs help. A neighbour? A friend who could come to stay?
ski holidays
We have a sofabed and we will just have to make space for a commode. She has some good girlfriends who have all offered help. Thanks
snow conditions
@archers,

Oh that's really tough - I'm sorry. Hope you get her home soon.

@NoDosh,

"I take it you weren't on the Roselette lift on Thursday then....... Laughing "

narrowly avoided actually - if we had been 5 mins earlier we'd have been on it. Never actually seen people being lowered off a lift before. Bit of luck it will accelerate their replacement plans - its the only really dodgy lift in the area now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy