Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BIG WHITE -CANADA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, having only ever skied in Europe we have just booked some flights to Vancouver with the intention of spending 10 days at Whistler, but was wondering if anybody has expericence of other resorts such as Big White, that are reachable from Vancouver?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi MJH, not much of a reply yet I'm afraid! I'm off to Big White & Sun Peaks in Feb for the first time so can't really comment. Okanagan is a good person to ask on this being a regular frequenter of resorts round there. Hopefully she'll see this thread & respond or send her a PM. There has been a bit written recently about Big White/Silver Star & Sun Peaks so you could also try doing a search (drop down menu on User Facilities at the top of the page if you don't know).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MJH, got their promo DVD in the post last week as we were thinking of heading off there ourselves in Feb.
Looks interesting and good for mixed group ability
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cathy Coins, rob and sharon,

Guys, thank you for your responses, and I hope that you have had a great Christmas. We are edging closer to staying in Big White, having discovered that a colleague has been there and could not speak highly enough of the place. I'm sure that the large resorts have everything to offer, but from what I've read about Whistler it seems to be suffering from over-crowding, lift queues etc. Coincidently, we will also be out there in February!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MJH, thanks for the Xmas wishes - eating & drinking too much & my gym visits seem to have gone out of the window but 2 1/2 weeks to the skiing so not complaining!

Snow seems to be quite good at the mo at Big White & is better than the average for the resort for this time of year. The web cams are looking good snowHead Glad your colleague speaks highly of the place Very Happy When in Feb will you be out there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HiCathy Coins, we will be there 1st to 11th Feb, and it can't come soon enough Hopeing to be able to make that step from confident piste skiing to playing in the fluffy stuff-am also giving snowboarding a go this year before my knees totally give out! When in Feb will you be there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MJH, I hope you enjoy your first time in Canada, it was my first time last January when I went to Fernie, I loved it so much I postponed my plans to go to the Jungfrau region for a year, so that I could go to Banff! snowHead

You probably know all this but if not - It can get very cold in Canada Jan/Feb so layers are very important whilst skiing, buy some toe-warmers, a face mask and a good quality pair of goggles (If you haven't already got them!).

Fortunately western Canada is not as cold as it usually is at this time of year but that can and probably will change.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichardB, Thanks for the advice, hopefully the milder temperatures will continue, but will still be prepared regardless. Thanks again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MJH, we'll be there from 18th, so looks like we won't meet up. But if you do go to Big White you can post what it was like in time for my trip out!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cathy Coins, Will do!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off to Big White on the 28th for a week, then to Silver Star for another week Very Happy . Me and the missus were there last year with friends and it was excellent. As for the weather, it was unusually mild last year, up around +2 to +6. I anticipate it being a lot colder this time Shocked . If you get the chance to visit Silver Star you should take it, especially if you like steep blacks/double blacks.......smashing.
29 days to go snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How did I miss this thread????

excitableboy, snap - same dates we'll be out there. Sounds like there'll be several of us in Big White on 2nd/3rd Feb.

MJH, don't worry too much about the temperatures - The Big White area is much more temperate than Banff et al, and we've never needed toe warmers or face masks. It'll usually be below freezing, but not dramatically so during the day. You will probably find that goggles rather than sunglasses are the order of the day though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Okanagan, i'll just have to make sure i'm wearing a red carnation and carrying a copy of the Times whilst dropping off The Cliff! wink .....see you in Sam's for a few beers snowHead snowHead
24 days to go rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
excitableboy, sadly, downstairs at Sam's is strictly a lunchtime venue for us these days, as having a 4 year old in tow keeps us out (or upstairs) in the evenings. They do let him in to Long John's though.... Smile Had an email from friends at the Star yesterday to say they had 19 cms of new snow, so it looks like the base is building up nicely for us! Looks great on the webcams today. They also say that "Silver Woods is fantastic and much more challenging than we thought it would be" so that's something to look forwards to as well. Who knows maybe we'll even get to ski those new Westridge runs at BW this year after they didn't open at all last season.

Where are you staying?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
excitableboy, Okanagan, Hi guys, am just back from a few days in France, and pleased to see that others will also be in Big White. We were lucky enough to enjoy the fresh snow that fell over the weekend, so you can imagine that our appetite has really been whetted for the "hero snow" of Big White. It sounds as though the pair of you know the resort well, so hopefully you will be able to give me a few tips on what to do, and where to go- It already seems that Sam's requires a visit!
ski holidays
MJH wrote:
It already seems that Sam's requires a visit!

Yep - and it's compulsory to try the Gunbarell coffee upstairs there the first time you vist. Won't tell you more as it'd spoil the surprise.
ski holidays
Okanagan, Right then, the Gunbarell coffee is on the list - what other gems can you advise!?! As a matter of interest we are staying at Trapper's Crossing, do you know it? Where will you be staying?
ski holidays
Trappers Crossing is right next to Sam's, at the main village level, so you're well located. We're at the Inn, for the main reason that it has a pool which is a popular post-ski activity for our 4 year old
latest report
I must confess that although 'upstairs' at Sam's is excellent, 'downstairs can get loud ( definately a younger crowd rolling eyes ) so me and the missus prefer our 'apres ski' at The Snow Ghost Lounge, which is handy as we stay at The White Crystal Inn snowHead Okanagan.......We will probably check out the new bar at Carvers at the Inn, but does that mean that 'Powder keg' has gone Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
excitableboy, we're staying at the White Crystal Inn - presumably as you've been there before the hotel is alright?
snow report
excitableboy wrote:
I must confess that although 'upstairs' at Sam's is excellent, 'downstairs can get loud ( definately a younger crowd :roll: ) so me and the missus prefer our 'apres ski' at The Snow Ghost Lounge, which is handy as we stay at The White Crystal Inn :sH: Okanagan.......We will probably check out the new bar at Carvers at the Inn, but does that mean that 'Powder keg' has gone :~/ :~/

As far as I know, what's happened is that The Powder Keg has been sold by the former leasees and BW has bought them out. Not sure exactly how much will have changed. But probably off limits to us, like the Snow Ghost, with a 4 year old in tow, anyway.
latest report
Big White has had 19cm's and Silver Star 25cm's in the 24 hours snowHead snowHead snowHead , not Utah or Mammoth-like dumps i know but.....keep it coming Cool
MJH....the White Crystal is excellent, ski in- ski out at the end of 'Main street', so just 'rack' the ski's outside and straight into the Snow Ghost Lounge wink The Copper Kettle Grill is the on site eatery and is very good too.
snow report
And 33cm in 24 hours at Silver Star too. For early January the snow levels are better than they've been for several years - and plenty more in the forecast, so hopefully it's building up well for us in a couple of weeks!

Are we going to fix up a Snowheads meetup somewhere as there are several of us there at the same time?
snow report
excitableboy wrote:

MJH....the White Crystal is excellent, ski in- ski out at the end of 'Main street', so just 'rack' the ski's outside and straight into the Snow Ghost Lounge wink The Copper Kettle Grill is the on site eatery and is very good too.

Sorry, that should have been......'CATHY', the White Crystal is excellent Embarassed Embarassed
Counting down the day's has frazzled my brain Shocked ......" i see white stuff, all the time" snowHead
snow report
excitableboy, Thanks for tips (added to list kindly started by Okanagan)- keep them coming.

Okanagan, Would love to meet up with all Snowheads that will be there at the same time. I have to admit that I'm probably even more excited about the trip than your 4 year old must have been about Father Christmas! The conditions seem fantastic at the moment, and I guess that they can only get better.

Three weeks until take-off, and counting down every second!

One of the reasons we decided to go to Big White was the impression that we got that it could be a good place to step off the piste, and try some real powder - is this just a fantasy that I have, or will it become reality. To get off to a flying start, we have booked an instructor for our first day for a bit of off piste tuition and a bit of guiding. Do you guys think that it's a good idea or a waste of money (don't be scared to be harsh if I've got it wrong!)?
latest report
MJH wrote:
The conditions seem fantastic at the moment, and I guess that they can only get better.!

It's looking good. Another 40cm in the last 24 hours at Silver Star, and 14cm at BW. Weather patterns look like they're setting up well for a good season too.

MJH wrote:
One of the reasons we decided to go to Big White was the impression that we got that it could be a good place to step off the piste, and try some real powder - is this just a fantasy that I have, or will it become reality. To get off to a flying start, we have booked an instructor for our first day for a bit of off piste tuition and a bit of guiding. Do you guys think that it's a good idea or a waste of money (don't be scared to be harsh if I've got it wrong!)?

It's a good place for that - plenty of opportunites where off-piste doesn't have to mean extreme. Obviously can't actually guarantee powder though. Having said that if there is a big dump you'll probably find that you can ski powder on what are nominally pisted runs, because they usually piste early so if a there's a dump overnight you'll get powder on a smooth base - perfect for getting used to it. (Or just perfect, full stop!). There aren't usually that many people around - especially midweek - so the runs don't got cut up too much. Try the enchanted forest (above the T-bar) - just pick your own way across from the top - there are runs down either side, so you'll eventually get back to one. Once you get a bit more confidence SunRype Bowl is fabulous in good conditions.

From what you say I'd think having some instruction would help give you confidence in your ability to handle the conditions - but don't rule out also joining in with one of the free Snow Host tours. Thry're run by local people who all know the mountain very well, and they'll be happy to point out good places for you to try if you ask them.
ski holidays
excitableboy, I'm still going to try the Snow Ghost Lounge and the Copper Kettle Grill, even if your tip wasn't meant for me!

Okanagan, excitableboy, So how about that beer on the 2nd/3rd?
ski holidays
excitableboy, thanks, good to have it confirmed that the White Crystal is good, although I had sought advice from Okanagan before booking (and Ski Independence were very helpful as well).

Save some of the snow for me! We're going out on the 18th Feb, first day skiing 19th. I know this is President's Weekend but I am a bit limited by work as to when I can take time off this time of year. Does anyone know if it will that make much difference in Big White, apart from price, do they get many skiers up from the States? And is it just a weekend or do Americans make a week of it? It's also the second week of the UK half-term but I'm guessing that won't make too much difference to the numbers out there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, you don't get enough Brits there for half term to make a difference. President's Week will - moreso over the weekend than during the week, but the rest of the week will still be busier than normal. It depends a little bit on the conditions - as the Pacific Northwest resorts seems to be getting a fair bit of snow this year then you won't get the effect of going where the snow is, as per last year, but as it's such a popular weekend then trips tend to be prebooked because of the need to secure accomodation. If you're going out on the Saturday, then you'll miss one of the busy days at least. By Monday afternoon you should find it's getting noticeably quieter.
latest report
Thanks Okanagan, didn't think the half-term would pose too much over-crowding wink (must be one easy place to be a SCGB rep) but was unsure about President's Weekend. Sounds as if we might get a few busy days but I expect crowded there isn't like crowded in Europe Very Happy
ski holidays
Cathy Coins wrote:
I expect crowded there isn't like crowded in Europe

No - expect some lift queues, albeit orderly/organised ones, during the weekend itself (might be a good time to book lessons if you're going to, to get priority in the queue), but you'll probably still find it quiet on the mountain compared to Europe. The ratio of runs (or rather skiable area as there is much easily accessible stuff off the runs) is to lifts is higher than you get here.

Do they have an SCGB rep there? No that's a job I wouldn't mind having.
snow conditions
Indeed, they have a rep out there for a few weeks when we're there. As we're members we may well meet up with him for a ski (it'll probably be just us!).
ski holidays
Okanagan, Does this mean that I should be looking forward to very short lift queues and fairly empty runs when we are there? If so it looks as though our decision not to got to Whistler really is the right one. Very Happy
ski holidays
MJH wrote:
Okanagan, Does this mean that I should be looking forward to very short lift queues and fairly empty runs when we are there? If so it looks as though our decision not to got to Whistler really is the right one. :D
Not so much short lift queues as non-existant most of the time midweek. Only exception is usually on the Ridge at ski school start time, or sometimes on the Black Forest if the visibility is bad. And hardly any of my photos there show anyone in the picture at all!

We've done the Whistler thing - and after queing at least 40 minutes to get up the mountain every day (perhaps we were just unlucky) wouldn't bother again.
snow report
Only 3cm of new snow today - 12cm at Silver Star though. Snow in the forecast every day for the forseeable future though Very Happy
snow report
Wow, I didn't think that I could, but I think that I have just become even more excited - three weeks and will be there, can't wait.
snow report
MJH wrote:
Wow, I didn't think that I could, but I think that I have just become even more excited - three weeks and will be there, can't wait.

Shouldn't that be....." even more excitable!" wink
I'm off for a week from tomorrow ( Greece snowHead ......business/work Sad ) so if any of you chaps arrange any meet ups i'll pick up this thread when i get back.............oh by the way, the Silver Star webcam at this very minute shows the conditions as.......BUCKETING DOWN snowHead snowHead snowHead
Later all.
latest report
Just heard that the new runs over at Westridge are open now. What a contrast to last year, when they didn't open at all.
snow report
Another 17cm at BW (and still snowing) and 14cm at the Star in the last 24 hrs. Snow in the village at Silver Star is just about up to the Board Walk looking at the webcam - in which case snow levels are definately higher at this stage of the season than they've been in the last 5+ years at least.
snow report
I see BW has had 80 cms of fresh snow in the last 7 days - whooppee!! Everything is crossed that its still good mid-Feb Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy