Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dress code in a chalet?

Poster: A snowHead
I have always tipped whilst staying in chalets,mainly because i felt that the staff deserverd it.I also agree with someother people on here that a tip is earned and not something that is expected just because someone has turned up in the morning and just about done their job
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do people think that if a thread was started on "the tipping policy for chalets users", that the discussion would be all about the dress code Puzzled wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, are long black ones better than lowcut red ones Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mistermouse, a lowcut red one may make you look cheap and easy, (but then again, that may be the effect that you're trying to create. wink )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
On a serious note though. Would you be less inclined to tip a mature couple who have reached a point in their life where an alternative lifestyle is comfortable and realistic? Over a 19 (whatever) lad / lass who is on a gap year?

I know a few boys who on average will miss one breakfast per week, dinner is often late (but good when it arrives) and the chalet isn't the cleanest in the resort and all because their guests think that it's really remarkable that they manage to turn up for breakfast at all they get tipped quite well. Puzzled

Nobody?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor,
Quote:

know a few boys who on average will miss one breakfast per week, dinner is often late (but good when it arrives) and the chalet isn't the cleanest in the resort and all because their guests think that it's really remarkable that they manage to turn up for breakfast at all

These people would not get my money and their bosses may get a letter
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, I'd tip the poor young whipper snappers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mistermouse,
Quote:

These people would not get my money and their bosses may get a letter

Oooh! you snowcows are well hard Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magicrichard, but not the hard working mature couple?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I try not to be ageist. If they missed a breakfast then they would need a very good reason, probably involving a hospital, and they wouldn't do it again and their tip would be under threat. I generally prefer older chalet couples particualry ones that have done a couple of seasons as they have a solid routine, get their chores done with minimum disruption to us and are often able to add value to us in terms of recommendations, understanding of our specific needs and general wider conversational topics. They are also less likley to split up/go home part way through a week which has happened before.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ashton parker, i heart ashton parker so much i wonder if i've got some kind of double alias...

ashton parker for snowhead of the year 2005. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We leave a good tip 1/2 way through the week, just before the chalet staff's night off, they are happy and we get even more attention for the rest of the week. Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris B, OK so whilst ashton parker wins snowHead of the year for being an all round nice fellow. Chris B is nominated for the snowHead best guest award. Any other entries? Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, last year if I had gone I would have tipped £50 each to all the staff, but I was at a hotel instead, so can I be the snowHead of the year for never having been to a chalet?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
parlor, are the mature couple employees or do they own the place ? If the latter why don't they just set their prices at a level that pays for the service they're providing ?
ski holidays
brian, I would imagine that it's because it's a higly competitive industry. Unless they are long standing owners with a very high repeat clientele they'd have to be very brave to pitch their prices much above the local market level unless they had a very 'high value' Unique Selling Point and the ability/resources to market that USP effectively.

parlor, Valid point about the 19 yr olds getting tips because it's considered a miracle that they've managed to drag themselves into work at all. I used to have a barman work for me like that; always late, behind the bar was a tip etc.etc. but his ability to charm the customers was second to none. He always ended the week on twice as much tips as some of our 'more mature' waiting staff who worked their socks off.

As for the tips thing, I think it's a bit of both. Perhaps people assume that people like yourself have made a lifestyle choice and don't need the money as you're unlikely to be telling your guests how appalling the pay is in the way younger hosts might. Also depending on how old the mature couple are and how old your their guests are, possibly they feel that tipping would offend?

Personally I would almost always tip, probably even if the chalet wasn't as clean as it could be/food and service was a bit iffy. The only occasion that I would withold a tip would be if I felt staff were rude. The holiday guests that got the best service from staff at hotels that I've managed in the past have been the ones that bring something - a box of chocs for the staff room - or that buy the barman a drink early on etc. The other thing that goes down well with the Chambermaids (who rarely seem to get tips) and I assume would make a chalet host smile too is leaving the room as clean and tidy as they possibly can. I always strip the bed, rinse the cups, straighten the hangers, seperate clean towels from used towels etc. - give me the Cif and I'd probably clean the bath too!

Almost everyone in the hospitality industry works ridiculously long hours for ridiculously low pay and for the most part deal politely and efficiently with their guests even when quite frankly their guests don't deserve it.

My recipe for hotels is I suspect as valid in a Chalet:

Be a good guest - expect good service but not bloody miracles (though you'll frequently get them anyway) and acknowledge the miracles when they happen.
S**t does happen! Do you always perform at 110% every day in your job?
If you do make a complete ass of yourself at the very least apologise....and please clean up your own vomit (sure that doesn't apply to present company)
Tip except in extreme circumstances
If you've had a really good time, write and tell someone whether it be the host themselves or the company they work for. Don't save all your letter writing skills for the complaints.

Seeparlor, I feel almost as strongly about this as you do!
latest report
Ray Zorro, gets nominated for being the best supporting snowHead (keep trying Ray, maybe one day you'll get lead roll Wink )

Annie, fair point & I agree with almost everything you say. Believe it or not I'm quite charming in the flesh Twisted Evil, on the internet you can express what you really feel... Wink Twisted Evil Very Happy

My wife and I have had more letters of compliments than any other chalet staff team in the 21 years it's been running. (Source: me 2005).

If you are going with an independent please remember to send an e-mail of thanks... it goes a long way!

The first year I did as a chalet boy I was 19 & worked for a big TO at the end of each week guests were encouraged to fill in evaluation forms, I would always get my guests to write whatever they felt. The best was:
Quote:
gavin was great, shame about the pillows

Classic. It went on my end of season T-shirt... Laughing
snow report
parlor, Of course I believe that you're quite charming in the flesh! You wouldn't have survived 21 years in your industry if you weren't! Which bit don't you agree with? .....surely not the bit about vomit and present company Twisted Evil ...or do you just not trust me to clean the bath to your standards?

However, a further point, it's not just chalet staff that deserve a tip. They do in hotels too - please don't forget the receptionist, chambermaid and kitchen porter (would you do that job?) - they frequently get paid the same rate or less than the restaurant staff and work just as hard. (They do in the UK anyway) Also if the food is REALLY good and you can poke your head round the kitchen door and say thanks the Chef will never forget you. (They're generally much better paid but rarely get any direct positive feedback from customers)

You've got me started now parlor, I know b***** all about skiing but in the hospitality field I've served my time (also about 21 years) so definitely have a view.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy