Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest flights from Heathrow and Gatwick

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm trying to find the latest possible flights from either Heathrow or Gatwick on a Friday night. Destination can be anywhere in Europe that I can ski.

Thanks
Andy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I would suggest you take a quick look at either the airport flight departure schedules or skyscanner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
but don't forget you then need to get to resort, so need onward transport of some sort to be available.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latest possible isn't always a good idea. Being on the end of the schedule day means your flight is delayed and too late and you can be then cancelled as you won't hit curfew e.g. for GVA. Last time it happened to me I got trade 3 days in very snowy Tignes for a few laps of earn your turns on Box Hill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's really down to complete inflexibility at work. Realistically the earliest departure I can make is 21.00. I figure that getting there and overnighting in an airport hotel will allow for an early drive and a full day on the slopes. The best I've found is 20.15 heathrow to Munich.

The alternative is to get the earliest flight on Saturday morning but it doesn't really appeal to get up at 4am.

So I'm not looking for the cheapest or easiest, just the latest flights.

I'll check the historic departures next chance I get.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
there aren't any after 9pm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is city any closer, check in is shorter too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you looked at the train?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andybomb1, your main problems are going to be a) onward transport to the resort as others have already said but more importantly b) the night flying bans that operate in most of the areas. You say the earliest you can make it is 21:00 (UK) time - that is already 22:00 in Europe and most airports are already into their night flying ban period. Munich, which is a major air transport node has only transcontinental flights landing after 22:00, and those are usually few and far between. From 23:00 there is a complete night landing ban, the airport is closed. If you check the arrivals schedule in Geneva, Zurich, Salzburg, etc, I think you will find the same thing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andybomb1, i used to regularly (weekly) get the 20:50 LGW-GVA. Do you mean the earliest is 21:00 at the airport? In which case o/night at the dep. airport and get the earliest flight out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have you considered driving?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You might be better off looking for an airport hotel in the UK and catching the first flight in the morning. Easyjet have a 6:15am flight from Gatwick to Geneva, arriving before 9am CET. Say a 90 minute transfer and you could be hitting the slopes by lunch time.

If you have to work Saturdays and are trying to avoid missing a whole days skiing on the Sunday you could always look at it the other way around. Write off the first Sunday as a travel day but book a late transfer/airport hotel for the following Sat and basically get the whole of the final Saturday to ski, flying home on the Sunday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name
which airline was that for Gatwick to Geneva?

Plan is to leave central London (knightsbridge area) at 19.00 on tube to heathrow or express to gatwick. I know a 21.00 departure is cutting it fine.

Ski Saturday & Sunday and come back home last flight on Sunday night. We'd most likely go witha na airport hotel then a 7.30 start on Saturday to some reasonably convenient resort. It doesn't have to be massive as the main point is to help my gf get confidence without eating into precious holiday time.

Heathrow is ideal as we live around 20 minutes away but Gatwick is possible due to the Gatwick express.

The early Saturday morning departure is a possibility but I'm trying to keep Saturday as stress free as possible.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if cost is not really a consideration you could get the 19:00 eurostar to Paris and then the sleeper train to Bourg st Maurice
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I fly GVA from London a fair amount. Your options are all pretty much equal in my experience:
19.25 from City (Swiss)
19.35 from LHR (BA)
19.55 from LGW (EZJ)

Bear in mind that City is by far the quickest airport to get through. LHR and LGW I arrive an hour before takeoff to be safe, City can be done in 30 mins.
ski holidays
andybomb1 wrote:

Plan is to leave central London (knightsbridge area) at 19.00 on tube to heathrow or express to gatwick. I know a 21.00 departure is cutting it fine.

To put it mildly. I'd go so far to say that you might struggle, given check-in etc. The Heathrow Express from Paddington takes 20-30 minutes and the Piccadilly Line around 40 from South Ken. I wouldn't trust a cab at that time of day.
snow report
@snowdave, is that the wintertimetable? LCY a pain to get to from Knightsbridge
snow conditions
I was just about to post a very similar thing when I saw this.
I want to fly out on a Friday night - ski all day Saturday and all day Sunday and return home on a flight late on the Sunday night.
Any flight options?
snow report
@garethjomo, lots per above if you can get to the airport a little earlier! Last flights on Sunday quite busy but getting to airport early on Monday from France a bit of a palaver.
ski holidays
In this instance if you really are nailed to a desk in Knightsbridge until 19.00 sleeper to Aviemore may be your best bet, snow conditions permitting.
latest report
@garethjomo,

20.15 LHR to Munich on BA is the best I can find. Scheduled to land at 23.05.

Going for the early morning method, 06.00 - 08.40, LHR - Zurich on Swiss

I have no idea where to ski near to Zurich but I'm sure there is somewhere close enough.
latest report
andybomb1 wrote:
I have no idea where to ski near to Zurich but I'm sure there is somewhere close enough.

http://bit.ly/1qRZIq4

Taking a couple of hours off work on Friday afternoon gives you far more travel options.

e.g. EZY 1815 LGW-ZRH arrives 2055 then still plenty of trains from the airport to get you directly into or very close to the majority of Germanic Swiss resorts or West Austria (St Anton) by midnight. Worth considering if you don't want the hassle of driving to resort through possible bad weather etc after a day at work and a flight. http://www.sbb.ch/en
Andermatt and Engelberg are prime candidates for this. Also check out SBB snow and rail weekend train+liftpass deals http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/day-trips/snownrail.html

Return ZRH-LGW on Sunday departs 2125 so full day on the slopes and time for a nice dinner before boarding flight. Again back home by midnight.
snow report
@under a new name, yes, that's the winter timetable (at least the early winter one through January).

I reckon LCY is at least as quick as LHR - both could be done in 30-40mins, then LCY wins by miles on security time (LHR fail you at security I think at T-35mins, LCY I've been ok at T-10). To get the 19.25 Swiss flight I'd think leaving at 18.00 was comfortable and 18.15 was a bit tight.

If there's more than one of you, if your buddy gets to the airport a bit earlier with bags etc. then leaving at 18.15 would be fine. Jubilee line from green park to Canning town, DLR to the airport.
snow report
Oslo could also be an option, Norwegian have pretty cheap return flights from 8pm from Gatwick, coming back up to 2215 on Sunday. oslovinterpark / tryvann is only 20 minutes by public transport from the city, allegedly. Probably enough for a weekend for a beginner. It doesn't meet your outgoing flight requirements but I'm not sure much does. It is open until 10pm on weekdays though, so if you could take Friday off work, grab a morning flight, and probably still squeeze in a full 8 hours skiing giving you 3 full days of skiing.

Also maybe Iceland? Flights to Reykjavik at 2035 from LHR. Still probably doesn't meet your requirements, and coming back at 1630 is a bit crap.
ski holidays
@snowdave, hmmm, either my memory is faulty or they've improved the LCY link. Either way, yes, 35-40 mins. Not bad.
snow conditions
andybomb1 wrote:
It's really down to complete inflexibility at work.

Change jobs..

I'd never work for someone that didn't allow the occasional POETS on a friday afternoon - when I used to work in london I was often on the apres come 4..
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@snowdave, hmmm, either my memory is faulty or they've improved the LCY link. Either way, yes, 35-40 mins. Not bad.

TFL have it down as 36-39 minutes (Piccadilly to Green Park, Jubilee to Canning Town, DLR to the airport) so if you could leave Knightsbridge at 18:00 you should be fine for the 19:25 City flight to Geneva.
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:

I'd never work for someone that didn't allow the occasional POETS on a friday afternoon - when I used to work in london I was often on the apres come 4..

So did I and often well before 4; but times have changed...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use the Swiss 6am Heathrow to Zurich flight a lot; means I'm usually in the slopes somewhere (Engelberg, Arosa, even Grindelwald once) by around mid-day. Usually arrives ahead of schedule and plenty of choice of onward travel to Swiss or western Austrian resorts. Cuts out the hassle of getting on the late flight somewhere and not much difference if you're staying at an airport hotel at the other end!
snow report
yeah, @Mjit, that's what I saw.
latest report
It sounds like a hell of a risk leaving so little time between leaving work and getting a flight. I fly every week and always give myself a good bit of leeway as too often something has cropped up and delayed me.

If your aim is to get your gf on to proper snow then consider the suggestion to try Scotland. Fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow (good choice of late departures), pick up a hire car and drive to Aviemore, Glenshee or Glencoe. The Caledonian Sleepers would also be an option but given the availability of late flights I'd be tempted to stick with flying.

However, I'd recommend not booking too far ahead and keeping an eye on the weather and conditions and only booking when both look favourable.
latest report
Risk appetite for flight times is very like risk appetite off piste- there's a big spectrum (I wonder if they are correlated?!). I fly a reasonable amount (not quite every week tho'), and I happily arrive at LCY 30mins before takeoff. I'd consider an hour at LHR T5 to be plenty of time (I arrived at 19.00 for a 20.00 transatlantic the other week and had time for a quick dinner at the airport!). If I'm driving all the way round the M25 to Heathrow its a different matter, but using public transport its possible to cut it fine.

In contrast, with kids in tow, it seems that no matter how much time we leave, we're always running to the gate!
snow conditions
Ah, but now you are getting in to the difference between personal travel and business travel. Rightly or wrongly I’ll take slightly more risk if travelling on business than personal. If I have spent a chunk of cash on flights, transfers and hotels for personal travel I would be gutted if I was left standing at the departure gate watching the aircraft being pushed-back and with it my weekend. On the other hand if it was business I might be pissed off but more likely than not, I’d have a contingency plan and any additional costs would be picked up by the business.

The issue is you can never predict when problems will arise. As a WILLIE (Works In London Lives in Edinburgh) Toofy Grin I commute each week to/from Edinburgh and Stansted. I’ve had a few close calls and that is me allowing a good amount of time to get from the office to that airport. I allow this extra time as when I’m away all week, getting home to my family is very important. A couple of months ago the M11 was shut due to an accident with gridlock on all the surrounding diversionary routes. I made it on to the flight by the skin of my teeth. Last week I had a similar problem with car fire closing the M11. Thankfully I had my TomTom on in the hire car and it told me of a 48 minute delay and proposed an alternative route. Thankfully I made it in time. I haven’t missed a return flight (yet) but that is because I’ve allowed for issues.
snow report
Final solution is a 6.10 flight from Gatwick to Grenoble and a return from Geneva landing at Heathrow at 8.15. Let's hope it all works.

Thanks all
snow report
That's Saturday morning btw
snow conditions
Interesting @andybomb1 you never responded to comments from @bertie bassett et al about your absolute ban on leaving work a bit earlier on a Friday.
Does seem a bit draconian.
ski holidays
@Jonpim,

It's actually my girlfriends job and as working arrangements go it's generally good but the busiest times tend to be late on Friday.

If I ever meet anyone and they really care why I'll happily explain but it's not something I can say much more on in public. She's happy with it and we can still ski but it takes a little more effort and some compromise.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, there was no reason to respond, I don't see what business that is of anyone else's. The OP merely asked for advice on ski flights, the reasons why @andybomb1 can't leave work earlier are not really relevant. I think we can credit him with enough intelligence to have thought of leaving work earlier if it was at all possible don't you think?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy