Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rossier to La Thuile (and back)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead

Must be the fact that it has started snowing in the Alps and me getting excited about the five-week count down to the Christmas trip to the Paradiski, but for some time I have been thinking about making a trip from the chair lift just above Seez up to La Roz, over to La Thuile for lunch and then back down.

Do not want to shlep all the way up to La Roz, so the lower chair seems a good option. Does anyone have expereince of this trip - is it do'able for a couple of competent skiers as a day trip?

Realise that the descent to the original chair will depend upon snow cover - can you down-shift the chair if not enough cover?

Also, we use a Zen card, does that read straight onto the La Roz systems as it does in Tignes and Val D'Isare or do you have to get to lift pass office as per St. Foy? (guess the suplemental question being is there a lift pass office down at the chair I am suggesting, because otherwise would need to get up to La Roz to get the day ticket Puzzled )

As ever the collected wit and wisdom of Snowheads probabaly has these answers.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately, you will need to go to the Lift Pass Office in La Roz with the zen card as the machines won't read it automatically. However, you do get a good discount, the San Bernadino pass for less than the La Roz only day ticket. However, I don't know whether or not the is an office at the chair.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobMSki wrote:
Unfortunately, you will need to go to the Lift Pass Office in La Roz with the zen card as the machines won't read it automatically. However, you do get a good discount, the San Bernadino pass for less than the La Roz only day ticket. However, I don't know whether or not the is an office at the chair.

there was one in the 08/09 season, not been back since
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to the piste map there is a Caisse at the bottom of the ECUDETS lift.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ian Kenvyn, we did this in April 2013. It's very doable. We were at the base of the Ecudets chair for first lift - it's quite a long ride up, so wrap up warm if it's a cold day. We headed straight over to La Thuile, had a good amount of time playing on the Italian side, long lunch in La Thuile, back to the French side, again for a good amount of time playing there. We didn't feel 'rushed' at all in terms of getting over and getting back. According to the current piste map on this page, http://www.skilarosiere1850.com/plan-des-pistes-station-ski-la-rosiere.html, there is still a pass selling point at the bottom of the chair. I'm afraid I don't know anything about zen cards.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ian Kenvyn, we're also in Paradiski (Les Arcs) for Xmas and I'd been pondering a similar trip - tempted by both he change of scenery and to check out La roz/La Thuile for future trips. Looks like the it's a choice of driving from Les Arcs or ski/funi down to BSM then take the free navette to Les Ecudets (am leaning toward the drive to maximise time in La Roz and avoid the risk of missing the last bus back!). What I've read elsewhere suggest the ecudchair does allow downloading, regardless of snow cover.

I'm a little concerned that a lack of snow on lower pistes by Xmas might mean a lot of lift time (up and down) vs piste time, so will watch this thread with interest for others advice!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ian Kenvyn, Hi hope you are well. You should have asked this over on the Les Arcs Winter thread or on the group page. I just saw your post here.
Loads of us do this trip most winters. It is very easy.

Yes, if the machine is working you can get your ski pass at the lower office by the chair, but it is worth calling in advance to the main office in La Ros to check it is still ok. You do need to bring your paperwork to prove you have paid for this winter pass. Download the receipt from your account page and show it to them with your Ski a la Carte Pass and you get the discount pass for a day. But you have to pay at the time. It is not a pass like up in Espace Killy or Paradiski where you get billed at the end of the month. Hope that is clear enough to follow. If anyone is coming with a season pass from Les Arcs or I think a weekly pass, you basicly do the same thing and get a discount.

For the skiing it is very easy. You go up on the chair, link into the La Ros system. Some new lifts this winter so could be much quicker. Get across to La Thuile side. Head down either right had side or left. I like the left as there is a nice Italian Pizza place near the bottom at the small village before the main lifts for lunch and you get some great views of Mont Blanc. Sorry forgot the name, but I am sure someone will be along to tell you.

After lunch have a nice ski around on the Italian side, worth going down the right hand side as well. Great views of the Glacier on the way down high on your right. Then head back by a few lifts. Have a go at the tunnel lift thing just for fun and then back into La Ros. Finally head over to the Ecudets lift and go down the red or black piste. NOT a good idea to ski down if it is closed. They normally only close it when the snow is very thin.

Biggest problem is that if you want to take the lift down you need to be back quite early as the chair shuts early. You need to check conditions of the pistes on the way up the chair in the morning. The piste is right near the chair most of the time. If it is to rubbish to ski down to Seez I often take the bus from La Ros back down to Bourg (Cost 9 Euros I think). You can get the free shuttle in the morning from the Funi to the Ecudets at around 9am and the bus back in the evening when the lifts in La Ros shut. It does make a nice day out. Hope that all helps.

PM me if you or anyone else from Les Arcs is going to do this. I am always happy to come for a ski over that side.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think it's Le Refuge pizzeria .... very good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd descend into La Thuile via red 6 rather than red 7. They are miles apart on the piste map and require different lifts but red 7 is mainly a boring road. Highligh if you do go red 7 is Lo Reindet (sp) which is a lovely resto half waly down on the LHS. I would get off after the first drag lift in the col and ski some of the nice Col reds.

Avoid the green Escargot path from the top of the Ecudets lift directly to the main Front de Neige. Even the "downhill" direction is a horrid, polling, Schlep. From the top of Ecudets ski the short distance down to the steep drag lift, go up the drag and then get off at the bend which says "DO NOT GET OFF" Embarassed and ski down to the Front de Neige. If visibilty is ok and the wind not howling then it is a fabulous day out. I hope the red Fontaine Froid is open back down to Ecudets base as it is by far the best run in the domain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats everyone - especially Chris for being the Font of Knowledge and Useful Detail Very Happy
Fingers crossed for a good upcoming season - web cams being watched a lot when I should be doing other things - 5 weeks today I'll be skiing Cool
Excited, very excited
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy