Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Aztec Pros

Poster: A snowHead
Am curious to see if anyone has skied these skis, and what are your opinions ? Apparently they were released in Europe before the States
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edit
forgot the welcome....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 15-12-05 11:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads

Didn't actually get to ski this but here is a bit from review from Fall-line for the Pro 2006.

Classed for intermediate to advanced.
lenghts are 165/175/185 with 78mm at the waist for 175.

"good all mountain ski, punchy and responsive whilst fun and easy to use.
Sat well with all testers across all terrian and especially lively and stable".

They don't say this is a ski for higher that advanced maybe because they say it can be a bit flappy
on piste..!!

The mag gave it the Fall-line recommendation in its class and call it a free-rideski.

So if that fits your ski profile it sounds like one to demo..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kris kenzel, Welcome. What JT said about the review really. I skied these at the start of last winter and have forgotten what I thought of them compared to other skis, they do not suit my skiing so I filed my thoughts away. They are quite popular skis which I always take as good sign, my local hire shop has quite a few pairs too so I presume they found it cost efficient and suited to quite a variety of skiers (and of course being treated badly Wink).

I know my wife skied them and really liked them. It is therefore likely that they had quite easy turn initiation and offer some forgiveness. I'd ask her only she'd punch me for spending time on the internet when I should be working on the house. Evil or Very Mad

My favourite thing about Scott skis is how they sound when they ski (most of them anyway). They have this wonderful ceramic sound when they are starting to flap or you knock them together. It's hard to describe but it's quite a 'zingy' or 'pingy' noise. (I probably sound weirder than before now.) The first time I heard it (on some Octane BM) I found it a little unnerving but now I miss the noise in skis that don't have it... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kris kenzel, I've used them and think they're the only real all round ski I've ever found. They carve well on piste (big-ish sidecut), are quite easy to handle off piste, turn quickly (tree skiiing), and float nicely in heavy snow. A lot of instructors I know ski them as they're such a good compromise ski. For us we need a ski that performs when we ski alone, goes everywhere at any speed, does any radius of turn, and will slide in a turn to boot!!! Not much to ask really!! I actually think this ski does it all, but is more or less an expert ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys for the feedback. I have already bought a pair, based on reviews that I have read. I don't really ski on piste much(or try not to), I suppose I was after a ski away from major manufacturers.I am heading off to Gulmarg in Jan and can't wait to get them into some of that Himalayan powder.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, what size did you ski it in?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm so pleased I didn't suggest try some Scott Santiago Mission, in the name of peace I bit my tongue NehNeh Wink Twisted Evil

After reading his second post I would have suggested Santiago Pure... mmmMMmmmmMMmm real pruuudy ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
I'm so pleased I didn't suggest try some Scott Santiago Mission, in the name of peace I bit my tongue NehNeh Wink Twisted Evil

You should ALWAYS suggest some other ski than the one they're asking about, as being heaps better. Twisted Evil

Sometimes I swear the Equipment section is a buyer's remorse therapy centre. Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, There is a guy from La Grave that is heading to Gulmarg for the season,his name is Jorgen Karstrom, you may know of him?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just bought a pair of Pros with Alpine bindings and a pair of "Aztec lites" (the non-pro version) with touring bindings for the coming season - hope they're as good as easiski says they are wink

I find it odd that no-one who mentions these skis (including Scott themselves on their website) points out that they are asymmetric Confused Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Left ski/Right ski or are you writing of the Pre-Track Dual-Radius feature, similar to Zag, Liberty, etc. so not true twintip?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, Around 170/175 as I recall - had a really fab day on them - good skiers in lessons - heavy and very deep snow and did the little gullies on the face so plenty of variety to test them on. We did buy my friend some Aztecs last year for Xmas. She's a 12 week skier and very keen, but last year she was struggling - out here last week though and it clicked. Alan Craggs, having seen you ski I'm sure you'll love them! I didn't know they were asymmetric??!! Wonder which foot I had them on???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, yes dual- radius - I don't have them here at work wink but from memory it's something like 14m on one side and 15.5m on the other. Be interesting to see if I can tell the difference Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alan Craggs, I don't think the shop even knows about that.. Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Have just checked - on the 175's it's 15m on one side and 13m on the other. Should be noticeable - can't wait to get out there and see snowHead

as for being a "bit flappy" on piste - well I used 1080's last year so that shouldn't be a problem wink
snow report
Asymmetric skis make sense when you think about it - the outside edge of the inside ski does carve a smaller radius turn than the inside edge of the outside ski (hope that's not too confusing!). Wonder why they're not more common?
latest report
hmm a bit of egg on face here Embarassed looks like I had misinterpreted the "dual radius sidecut" to mean that it was different on each edge, a la the Fischer concept. However a bit more digging reveals that it seems to be a description of having a deeper sidecut on one part of the ski to the other - ie in front of or behind the foot. So these skis are not asymmetric (like the Fischers) but have a "dual radius". Sorry for confusing myself and everyone Embarassed Sad
ski holidays
ponder because then the ski companies have to have twice as many moulds.
ski holidays
kris kenzel, Don't know him - probably do by sight though.

Alan Craggs, Glad you cleared that up. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

Asymmetric skis make sense when you think about it - the outside edge of the inside ski does carve a smaller radius turn than the inside edge of the outside ski

I don't think you meant to say that!!!

I think perhaps you meant to say that the inside ski prescribes the same radius arc as the outside ski in a "pure" carve, but on a different theoretical circle centre....

*opens can of worms*
Shocked
snow report
veeeight, do you define skiers' centre to travel in
a pure circular arc or
a section of a hypotrochoid?

I think he meant to say exactly what he said.
snow report
Well I guess that the general consensus is that these are pretty good skis , can't wait to get on them.
ski holidays
Yes.

I would be interested in someone showing me that they are not two concentric circles of the same radius for much of the turn.

Show your working in the margins and use diagrams to aid your solution........ wink
ski holidays
I've got to the bottom of the dual sidecut thing. Chatting to my pal Manu in Ski Extreme, we were discussing this; apparently it's because all the freestyle/freeride skis have different binding mounting points according to whether you want to do more piste and freestyle (mount the binding further forward for shorter turn radius) or freeride (mount further back for the reverse). They showed me lots of the new skis that have various mounting points marked on the ski instead of just one centre ski mark. The Aztec Pros have two marks for the dual radius.
Whew - that was complicated..... rolling eyes Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
hmm oh dear I do seem to have opened a can here Toofy Grin

my Aztec pros only seem to have one mark... Puzzled

quote from filarinskis.co.uk -

Dual Radius- (Jargon Rating= 7) Two combined radiuses create the sidecut or “shape” of the ski. Depending on whether the short and/or big radius is at the front of, or behind the effective edge, the ski becomes more aggressive or more manageable at the turn entry or turn exit. The Dual Radius concept makes our skis more versatile, and less confined to one type of skiing or terrain.

maybe time to stop being confused and just get out there and ski.... snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
Alan Craggs, The marks are where the two radii are written. At least they were on the ones I looked at last night. At any rate I don't suppose it makes one iota of difference. Interesting though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy