Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confused About Jackets- Please HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been searching to buy a good boarding jacket for a while (i've been using my regular winter coat since i started riding and its not really cutting it) but there are so many sites and options and lingo and hardshell or softshell or insulated or i dont even know, I'm finding it all rather confusing.
I'm really just looking for something more on the light weight side, but still warm (and I get cold really easy) and something REALLY windproof. Those are my two main concerns. Also I'd rather not spend more then about $250...
Any Suggestions?
I greatly appreciate it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a proper hard shell, with good quality fleece and under layers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welcome to Snowheads, @elledalessandro. Many experts use hard shells, as recommended by @blahblahblah but the majority of holiday skiers and boarders seem to wear insulated jackets. I do - with suitable layers underneath. On the odd spring day, with very warm temperatures, an insulated jacket is too much but that's rare for me. If you are a very cold person skiing in a cold area and not exerting yourself by skinning or boot packing off piste the same sort of jacket as most people wear should be fine for you and can often be found with big discounts - last year's colours etc. High levels of waterproofing and breathability are important.

You are presumably not in the UK or we could give you specific recommendations of shops selling good gear cheap.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Baggyish hardshell - no insulation and a primaloft or small baffle down for underneath. If you're in US Sierra Trading Post, Cabela's and REI are good places. to start looking without the premium of s branded ski shop.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@elledalessandro,

The 3 company's @Dave of the Marmottes, has recommended are probably your best option with $250 to spend and would recommend a shell jacket and layering. If on a budget don't rule out some longer length walking jackets, you may get some good sale prices on them now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you get cold very easily I'd go for a down jacket (lightweight options normally available). Much warmer (and probably cheaper and lighter) than shell+layers. You may get too warm in spring time but if you feel the cold in winter it's the best option.

But as with all these things its personal preference so you will probably get the full spectrum of opinions on here!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alex99, +1 to down or synthetic down if you suffer cold. I find my Arcteryx Nano extremely capable in a wider range of temperatures than any fleece.

If you're in Europe Decathlon/Quechua is very technical kit these days at very good prices (if it fits).

Any hard shell should be more or less completely windproof. However, thinner fabrics, even of shell, will feel colder.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always gone hard shell with little insulation.
You can always add layers if you get cold, but for those springs trips a full insulated jacket can be over kill.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex99 wrote:
If you get cold very easily I'd go for a down jacket (lightweight options normally available). Much warmer (and probably cheaper and lighter) than shell+layers. You may get too warm in spring time but if you feel the cold in winter it's the best option.

But as with all these things its personal preference so you will probably get the full spectrum of opinions on here!

You can use down as a mid-layer under a hard shell - the 2 are not mutually exclusive. That is exactly what my wife does on the colder days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ulmerhutte, of course you can do that, I didn't say the two weren't mutually exclusive. However you'll struggle to buy a shell and a down mid layer for under $250 (£160) which was the OP's budget.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If budget is an issue, I can't recommend eBay enough.
You can get some new gear which is a season old, with over 50% off, and if you don't mind pre worn gear with little wear even more. Worth a look anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Worth noting that cheap down (eg. under 600 fill power) isn't any better than modern microfibre insulation but suffers an awful lot more when it gets wet. Also, down or fancy microfibre insulation mids (eg. primaloft) work best as mids when the shell is quite light and loose fitting, or you'll just squish all the air out of them and you may as well have gone for cheaper, less squashable insulation or high loft fleece.

Normally I'd recommend layers, but if you're a really cold person you probably won't benefit from them as you'll use your cold weather gear even in what I'd consider moderate conditions, so instead I'll just recommend a decent primaloft jacket... everyone makes them, and they needn't break the bank.

Here's a cheap one (sorry, probably UK only but you'll have similar US brands) : http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2377/s/ladies-belay-pro/category/3/

It has a lot more insulation than most of the normal insulated winter jackets on sale (which tend to be ~50-100gsm cheap insulation, this has 133gsm high quality insulation), and probably just as warm as a cheap down jacket. If you stick a cheap fluffy fleece underneath it you'll probably be fine even in very cold weather. It'll keep damp out just fine, and you could stuff a cheap, thin waterproof in your pockets or bag if the weather looked like it was going to be wet. How often do you ski in persistent heavy rain, though?

Here's a more expensive one (but still under your budget): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-The-North-Face-Plasmatic-Jacket-M-Hooded-Insulated-Turquoise-Blue-/400808817729?pt=US_CSA_WC_Outerwear&hash=item5d52113441

It'll be plenty warm, and it has a properly waterproof outer. It'll might even be a little bit lighter than a comparable layered outfit, and cost about the same, too.

alex99 wrote:
If you get cold very easily I'd go for a down jacket (lightweight options normally available). Much warmer (and probably cheaper and lighter) than shell+layers.

This is a sign that you're probably spending far more than you need to on your shell. Or possibly that you're buying a stitch-through down jacket with cheap down, which probably isn't worth it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In terms of terminology used on various sites the following might be useful (although please bear in mind that there is no one definition and the latest fabrics can blur the lines)

Hard shell - this is usually a thin waterproof outer layer, no insulation, but will keep water and wind out, although most will also keep sweat in (if you work up a sweat this is worth considering). Usual suspects are Gore-Tex, eVent, Neoshell, and various proprietary fabrics.

Soft shell - this is usually a breathable outer layer. It usually has a microfleece or flocked inner layer to provide a wicking layer and a small amount of insulation, the outer layer is usually smooth and breathable. It usually offers some level of windproof-iness (from 50%-99%), but isn't waterproof. The exception to this appears to be Neoshell, which is effectively a softshell whose waterproofness has been taken to 100%. I have a couple of these jackets and I love them, they are completely waterproof, but they breath much better than any other hardshell I own, for some reason manufacturers sell them as both hardshell and softshell, the softshell is the same fabric but with a flocked inner to wick away sweat.

Insulation - manufacturers will usually take one of the above and combine it with an insulation layer to provide warmth. Down is the best for warmth, unless it gets wet then its not so good. Primaloft is almost as good, and wont turn into porridge when it gets wet, however this is usually only an issue if you are caught in a rainstorm. Out of the two down is much lighter, and warmer - go with it if you can.

So which is best for you? Its all depends on your body; I wear a thin softshell over a very thin base layer, cos I get hot when I'm skiing, so just need something to keep the wind off and will wick the sweat out when I'm throwing myself down the hill (I even use uninsulated softshell trousers), the wife gets cold so she skis in a down insulated hardshell, she does get hot when she wears it, and sometimes she has to open it up when she stops (if there is no wind) so she can cool down, but given the choice she would rather be too hot than too cold, and I'm the opposite.

Her current jacket is a Patagonia Primo Down jacket that she picked up on sale for approx. £150 (in their Dublin store), and she loves it. Its completely waterproof (and therefore windproof), its very warm but it has pitzips so she can cool down a bit if she needs to. Trouble is that this jacket is usually a hell of a lot more expensive than most jackets, so check the sales. Also being Patagonia, it will last a lifetime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My various £50 from tkmaxx jackets seem to have held up fine for over 30 trips - just buy a cheap all in one jacket with a pattern you like, that's what 80% of those on the slopes do (10% have a hand-me-down, 10% are posting above)

I have no desire for my jacket to last a lifetime, after a few season I want a change of style!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy