Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter treatment for car hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm hiring a car from grenoble airport for 14 March - 21st March and we'll be staying in meribel.

I'm new to taking hire cars to ski resorts - should I take snow chains and shovel? Any other tips? Will it have winter tyres as standard?

Thanks,

Mnbv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. You will need to have chains. You might not need to use them. You can either hire them from the car hire co, or buy at a supermarket - there will likely be little difference in price. Your hire car is *UN*likely to come with winter tyres as standard - you need to ask and probably pay extra. Buy your own shovel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Will it have winter tyres as standard?

No, not in Grenoble, though it might be an option extra. You should definitely hire chains either way - the hire car company should be able to supply them. If you've not used them before, practise putting them on before you leave the car park. That will enable you to identify if they're the wrong size before it's too late (though if they're new and in a proper container you can check the size against the tyres on the car).

Keep an eye on the weather forecast just before you go - if it looks likely you'll need chains take an empty black poly bag (they never go back in the box). A shovel is not convenient on a plane but if you have one a kid's beach shovel is good for clearing snow from round the wheels. Otherwise you do it whatever you have to hand!

Most of the time you won't need chains, especially if you have winter tyres. But when you need them, you really do need them - and sometimes the police will make you put them on, even on winter tyres, if the roads are busy and they need to keep traffic moving.

Look at some youtube videos about chains. The ones with dolly birds dressed in shorts are a good laugh.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We got winter tyres as standard from Sixt at Grenoble last year. I'm currently researching for this year's rental from/to Lyon, so came across this thread. Research o far shows that this is now a standard from Sixt but I'd always phone to check with any company. It seems to vary from location to location.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winter tyres are well worth the extra cost, if they're not standard on the vehicle that you're hiring. The odds of additionally needing chains are low, but you will still want them in the boot, even in good weather (last year we saw 2-3 vehicles stuck at the bottom of steep drives on Saturday change-over, even 'though the roads themselves were no problem). If possible, get the hire car company to include them and then you can concentrate on getting to your destination, rather than hunting 'round local supermarkets and car accessory shops.

One thing to be aware of is that hire 4x4s often can't take chains and the hire company won't provide them (the chains). The excuse is that if a 4x4 with Winter Tyres can't negotiate the conditions then you're stuffed anyway. Probably the real reason is that many 4x4 manufacturers don't fit wheels that can take chains and so the hire company is stuck with that. What this means in hire terms is that you may be better off with a conventional 2WD car with winter tyres and chains, than a 4x4 with no chains. And as mentioned, you may find the police insist on them if it's bad, and then your 4x4 isn't going anywhere ....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe (and don't quote me on it) but it is law in France to have winter tyres, Chains, Snow socks or other approved items for the winter months

I would recommend Snow Socks instead of chains. The only problem with chains is that if fitted incorrectly they can do some serious damage to your car.
Snow Socks are also more universal regarding tyre / wheel sizes than chains, cheaper and can be used multiple times.
If you are flying too, Snowsocks weigh next to nothing and fold up nice and easily, so you could just fit them in your hold luggage.

Worth a look anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I believe (and don't quote me on it) but it is law in France to have winter tyres,

It is not the law in France to have winter tyres.
Quote:

I would recommend Snow Socks instead of chains.

Seems to have been quite a bit of debate on how good snow snocks are in another thread. The impression I got was that the originals, and presumably the most expensive, are good. But other imitations are not. But whatever, there seemed to be some big divergence of opinion.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, My mistake.

To be honest its taken me a google search to realise how many varieties there are and I can only imagine much like anything that the cheaper ones would be rubbish.
I have to say I have never driven on them myself but when I worked in the industry we sold the original ones (nice discount to staff) and they all thought they were great when we went skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that SnowSocks do work particularly well when fitted to summer tyres - in effect, transforming them into winter tyres, plus a bit extra traciton on top. But I don't think that they add anything like as much traction as chains do. And both chains and socks are problematic in mixed tarmac/snow conditions, as you'd rather not have to take them off and put them on every time you transition. However, I appreciate the dilemma if you can't have the ideal of winter tyres on your wheels, and chains to hand.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy