Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine Avoriaz Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

With Eater weekend falling early this year we are looking at the options for a long weekend, couple of days either site of Easter, and maybe a change from my usual venue of Argentiere. Venue needs to be close to Geneva airport to fly out after work and get full day's skiing before night time flight home. It's been a while since I've been to Morzine Avoriaz; so 3 questions:

I'm worried Morzine may be a bit low for first week in April, high reliable has it been at this time of year?
How quick is the trek from Morzine to Avoriaz these days - I remember a tortuous link of lifts and traverses?
What is the off piste like; I'm thinking of maybe a mix of guided and unguided days - any recommended guides/groups?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@On the rocks, there have been at least three threads on this recently, try the search function. But the short answer is yes, it will be a good option and so book it. Avoriaz will be reliable. Base yourself conveniently for the Prodains or Ardent lifts is my advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Sarah some useful info. Would love to stay in Avoriaz but not (m)any options for short break accommodation, may still gravitate back to Argentiere as I know the off piste much better if options are limited.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you just want to ski hard, then being based in Prodains is a good move. There's a newish gondola that whisks you up to Avoriaz much faster than the old one. Another option is to be based near the Super Morzine gondola and connect in that way involving a few gentle runs. That would give you the option of some night life as Prodains is pretty quiet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you do not mind being on edge of resort you will find loads of accommodation not to far from Ardent bubble. Most chalet hosts will give you a lift to the bubble each day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a new super fast lift at the bottom of the top of avoriaz where all the good black runs are to a bus connection to morzine. If you're staying near the bottom of the hill in morzine you 'll be about 15mins from the lift, 25mins from the slope. Just over an hour transfer from Geneva but don't forget the 3 mile walk through the airport to the pick up point.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Prodains is pretty quiet

???? Pretty quiet??? Silent running comes to mind. Mind you, http://www.chillypowder.com/ run a very slick and lovely operation up there, if they have space. Ardent is no wilder, socially. Although it's remote enough that I am sure the chalet staff have to be reasonably tolerant to a share and share alike "scene". Car keys anyone?

Easter moderately early this year. Avoriaz and high Linga/Crosets should be reasonably snow sure and there's lots of nice spring skiing to be done off piste. If you're comfortable and avalanche skilled navigating around the G Montets, you shouldn't need a guide, it's none of it glaciated. That said, having someone who knows it like the back of their hand is always a good thing. Try for "Pom" at ESF (Avoriaz?). (He may be more of a lunch guide these days, don't tell him I said that). If you want to brush up on technique, you will do no better than Thierry Copreau at ESF Morzine.

Myself I'd have a hire care to drive round to Ardent for best access. Although I have not yet sampled the new Prodains lift, which my local chums assure me is excellent. Other than the parking rolling eyes Allows for accommodation in central Morzine - being the most entertaining of places to stay. Tortuous link of of lifts and traverses is ameliorated this year with new, better placed lifts apparently. And is either a nice warm up or not, your view.

TBH, I know PDS much better than I do Argentiere (bit shocking all told, really, after 9 not full time seasons) and while it doesn't have the true high mountain descents (col du Fornet an exception), I reckon on a snowy day, there's more to do, safely and accessible with less effort. And at Easter, with massively fewer sacrificial Swedes testing the more interesting lines for avalanche danger.

And if you really know what you're up to avvy and all else wise, there's quite a few interesting lines on here - particular link pointing to a route that a few of us have had our eye on for a while and dedicated to an old and very dear friend who lost his life securing the slopes for us mere mortals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Although I have not yet sampled the new Prodains lift, which my local chums assure me is excellent.

Never used the old one but used the new one a few time back at the start of April last year as the run down to it was skiing well given the temps but empty. Gondolas are the bigger, walk in carrying your skis type and have actual seats, not the Ardent not-quite-big-enough-to-purch-your-bum-on bar.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Chillypowder do run a great chalet - I stayed there a while ago and the food and wine was so good we never felt the need to leave the chalet in the evenings. Just as well, as there's almost nothing else to do there...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy