Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lawn sprinkler snow gun. Video proof that it works.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today's clickbait ... delicious!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152848323045761&set=gm.1516663511953749&type=1&theater
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just need the -50 temp I'd guess.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one, CG. For those who don't wish to click through Facebook:

http://youtube.com/v/KTzZBzQg2Rw#t=36
How does the feed work? i'm guessing hot water supply.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@achilles, the point about why the water feed does not freeze is well made, maybe it is the speed of the water, but that will only last for so long. I guess they must use additives in the mountains to stop the lines from freezing. It is a nice scientific demo for educating kids about phase changes though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That naughty achilles person.

Please continue to click through Facebook. Help out a silly scribbler who just wants to poodle about, popping up ski news-nuggets, without all the hassle of 'servers' and 'software' and this and that.

That nice Mr Zuckerberg makes it so easy!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A continuous feed of water is probably enough to stop it freezing. Have a think about how much colder it needs to be for flowing water to freeze compared to still water, and that has lots of extra heat loss through convection on the surface. I suspect if you turned that thing off, waited for a minute and tried to turn it back on it would have frozen up nicely though.

Snow cannons probably don't have anti-freezing additives in the water they use, cos it would make it harder for them to actually generate snow! Some places have additives to make it easier for the water to freeze, like silver iodine or ice-nucleating proteins. I guess they'd have to slurp all the water back out of the cannons to stop them freezing when not in use, though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Serriadh, it was the additives in the water cannon water that had me a bit baffled, I also thought that they were included to lower the freezing temperature, but surely this would make the canons more prone to freezing, I wonder if they add something that only reacts to lower the freezing point when it contacts volumes of oxygen in the open air or something like that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Megamum,

I don't think they are there to lower freezing temp. I think , If any additives are there, its to add seed to make flakes rather than ice.

http://youtube.com/v/Lb0IpZDDqFI&feature=youtu.be
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff, or should I start quizzing and asking boring questions to be a real snow head? will it work in France? if it won't then well its no good, because everyone skis france.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Happily avoided FaceTwat to watch that one. Sorry, CG.

Out of interest, are we sure that was making snow? Strange question I know, but I couldn't see any accumulation, nothing appeared to reach the ground, and the blurb said they were using hot water. I wonder whether, if the air was v dry, all the hot water was just turning to vapour and evaporating. That's sort of what it looked like in the video too.

I tried to make snow using a pressure washer in temps of -13c, but it didn't work.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The only way we're going to find out is to all pack a jet wash and a lawn sprinkler in with our skis and inform various official types that it's "sporting goods" if challenged.

Wonder if we'll see the same person who tries to board a plane wearing ski boots trying to pass off their Karcher* as carry-on luggage?

(*other brands of pressure washer are available)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NoDosh, Very Happy Very Happy

After much thought I'm 99% sure the lane sprinkler method isn't producing snow or anything like it. Pity really.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Megamum, additives are used to raise the freezing point. You want to make it easier to make snow, not harder.

Oh, and generally, you want to make ice, not flakes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy