Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester Chill Factor-e some Q's

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to be this neck of the woods early next week and fancied going for my first ski of the season.

I've checked their event calendar and there's no events on either next Monday or Tuesday-can I therefore safely assume the full slope will be open?

I made the mistake last time I went of not doing some research and found after buying my pass that only half of the slope was available as that zorbing thing, although never seen it used once was occupying half the slope! Can't see any mention of it now-has it gone?

Any snowHead in the area that fancy popping along and joining me drop me a PM. Can do Monday night and maybe some time Tuesday.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bene, The race club meets on Tuesday evenings.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bene,

Think the zorbing has ended at least for now.

I will probably be at Ski Rossendale on Tuesday ( not open Monday ). But it is £5 an hour between 3pm and 6pm so a lot cheaper than CFe.
Not sure after the Ski test on the 22nd when or even if I will be back at CFe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best times are during the day. The slope opens at 7.30 a.m. on a Monday and Wednesday and is usually fairly quiet then although last Monday was quite busy. Tuesday 9 a.m. is again usually a quiet session for the first 1 1/2 hours.

It is much busier now of course than a few weeks ago and I would imagine the evenings are very busy. As ris says Tuesday evening is race training so only half a slope effectively. The whole slope will be available on Monday and Tuesday otherwise but will be cut to half by Wednesday.

If you're there in for an early session people are very friendly
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@speed098, Despite skiing for approaching 10 years I've yet to ski on a dry slope!

@Ade57, I was going to book into the premier inn so could either nip in after work Monday evening or pop in the morning. Will see what time I get finished on Monday night. In theory-or at least AA maps tells me I'm working 20 mins away but guess that might change somewhat if the traffic is bad.

Thanks for the responses.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They're working on the M60 to make it a 'Smart Motorway' and traffic is much worse than usual recently so 20 minutes could end up a lot longer. My journey has gone from 30 minutes to more like an hour. I'll probably be there Tuesday morning; red jacket, grey pants, white helmet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bene,

As @Ade57, has said the motorway is really bad I live about 15-20 min from CFe and getting there before about 10am is pointless as I would be in traffic jams for well over an hour. Even mid morning or mid afternoon you will need to add double the time you would normally take and sometimes is just as bad as rush hour.
The only time I made a straight run with no slowing down in the morning was a good few weeks ago when there had been a bad accident on the M61 southbound the Manchester side of Bolton so almost no traffic was joining the M62.

Ski Rossendale will not be an option as I said it is closed Monday and opens around 1pm on the other weekdays.

Dry slopes seem to be marmite but as I spent around 30 hrs a week on Rossendale for best part of 12-15 years I like them, and they allow you to practice certain things better than in a fridge. Rossendale is a lot quieter than CFe as well so at this time of year more room to practice.

EDIT.

One last point avoiding the motorway may not be the best idea either, I finished early one day and as it was almost rush hour and the motorway traffic on Barton bridge was at a complete standstill for the time it took me to make two trips to the car loading my gear, I went through Manchester and from United's ground it took me just over 2 hrs to travel just over half a mile.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
worth mentioning that Ski Rossendale is just 13 miles from the m62/m66 north manchester junction, the journey is nearly all motorway and usually takes a reliable 15 minutes, just avoid 4.30pm to 6.30pm when the commuters head out to the hills.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got away from work a little earlier than expected so got to the fridge earlier than expected missing the traffic. Was pretty much like any first time back on skis for the first time since the last season, after 10 minutes I thought 'you're pretty crap you aren't this bad are you?!' Then warmed up a bit and things re clicked.

I did see a first though. 3 youths (old enough to know better!) Came in and there was something going on up the top. Turns out they basically couldn't ski at all and I do mean at all! And we're asked to leave. I guess it takes some guts (stupidity) to just go to the top and see what happens. They had so me spectacular wipeouts on the way down, what got me was how they managed to negotiate the button lift? Anyhow they were ejected quickly. Danger to themselves and others.

I'll maybe check out the dry slope next time, although kendal assuming there is still one there is closer for me. I'm hoping to get some skiing on rel snow done in the lakes this winter close to home too. Main gripe about CF is there's surely a better system than scanning that flimsy bit of card 3 every time you're at the bottom? Laminate it even? By the end it was like trying to push mushed up paper in. For comparison I've been to the fridge in Glasgow.

Edited to fix crappie spelling as a result of posting on phone....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know this is a bit spammy but I have no connection and it may interest some:

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ade57, I was planning a visit on Friday. On Google maps the roadworks appear to be north of CF, but online,
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m60-junction-8-to-m62-junction-20/
they are from Junction 8.

I would be coming from M56 direction, any idea if this route would be OK ?

ta
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sarge wrote:
@Ade57, I was planning a visit on Friday. On Google maps the roadworks appear to be north of CF, but online,
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m60-junction-8-to-m62-junction-20/
they are from Junction 8. I would be coming from M56 direction, any idea if this route would be OK ?
ta
The road works start at junction 8 and go through to Junction 20 on the M62. There are also multiple average speed cameras (50 mph) in both directions. Although you have only 2 junctions of road works to contend with it can be tailed back all the way to the M56 and even a distance on to the M56 during peak times

It all depends when you are travelling to CFe.

From recent experience , the M602 via Warrington will not be an better if the M60 is jammed!

I travel on the M60 J2 via J15 and the M61 to Horwich, clockwise in the mornings and anti-clockwise in the evenings. My journey times have increased (for 24 miles) 3 fold, from 30 minutes to 90 minutes or even longer.

Just allow at least 20-30 minutes from the end of the M56 (M60 J4).

Good luck!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if it helps today on the m60 from J8to10 there were lllooonnnggggg delays!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It took 1 3/4hrs from Leeds this morning (left at 7.15) - but that was anti-clockwise over the top. Most of the time spent stationary was between J14 and just after J11 (M60). I've had worse. It won't put me off...

I hope you have a reasonable journey...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The whole area is very busy at the moment. All the roads are affected and it's almost doubled my journey time from M6, M62 while friends who come from other directions report similar problems.

I don't want to appear too negative but alternate weeks they put the freestyle stuff out and it takes up half the slope. This is the alternate week so on Friday there'll be half a slope and probably a lot of skiers. I don't bother on these days. Even at 7.30 this morning it was busy. Maybe I've just been spoiled! By the way the freestyle area is fenced off. Major bone of contention but that's another story.
ski holidays
@Bene, They are supposed to be bringing in a card system instead of the paper tickets but not upto my last visit end of October.

I am spending my time at Ski Rossendale as way cheaper and even at tea time pretty quiet so plenty of runs with no over crowding.

It was running pretty quick today as well snowHead and nice empty motorway there and back snowHead
snow report
I do the 7.30 'BREAKFAST CLUB' on a wednesday morning, £15 for two hours including coffee and a bacon sarnie..!!! feels like you have the piste to yourself...
I set off from Halifax at 6.15am and get there at 7.15..plenty of time to get changed, if i leave home earlier traffic is marginally lighter !!
To find the breakfast club online you will have to type it into the 'search box' then follow your nose .. freindly lot that turn up, after 8.30 it gets even quieter !!! ie 10 people on the slope last time !! Smile
ski holidays
@Ade57, Cheers for all that good info folks.
Can we access the freestyle side during the day, or are they building it then ? I was planning to board for 2hrs and then ski for 2 and am quite happy having a play in the park if there's access.
snow conditions
Only just seen your last post Sarge, so this response is probably too late. They don't allow access to the freestyle during the day. It's reserved for Thursday and Friday evenings. I don't know why it needs to be there on a Wednesday by the way unless I missed something.
snow report
Got there in less than an hour from Wirral, leaving at 8:30 ! Freestyle features were accessible for a while but half a slope did get a bit crowded at times. Scratched the ski/board itch for now Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy