Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria at Xmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone...

We always seem to be leaving things to the last minute, and having tried skiing for the first time in our 50s last year, we are ready to give it another go at Christmas/New Year Smile

We went to the wonderful Chalet La Giettaz last year ...who introduced themselves on the forum.. Thank you Chris and Miranda! However, we are currently in Palma, so ideally would like to find somewhere we can get direct flights to...(Munich, Basel, or Zurich). So, I was thinking maybe Seefeld may fit the bill? I am a nervous skier, my OH is more confident, and our son, aged 7, has no fear! Will definitely need to book lessons, for me at least.

We won't be able to be too picky about accommodation, as we are restricted to school holidays, but plenty of cheap ish flights which is good.

Many thanks Smile

[/list]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think I have posted this in the wrong forum..just noticed the title! Will see if I can try again Smile Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be in Seefeld at Christmas - see you there Smile

Innsbruck is the best place to fly to. A taxi to Seefeld is about £45, or a short train ride for a few Euro (you need to get the bus/taxi from the airport to the station).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@musher,
Just looking at accommodation....is it ok for beginners there? We can't fly to Innsbruck directly from here, so will have to fly to Munich Sad
Have you been before?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Seefeld is ideal for beginners. We've been several times both summer and winter, my kids love it there.

What sort of accommodation were you after? Seefled is great for 4 & 5 star hotels Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it ok for beginners but probably for Xmas you will not find anything right now...as Musher said is full of 4 and 5* hotels....a little bit expensive and glamour but lovely...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@turms,
It's been quite there at Christmas the last few years. Like most places it goes mad the week after.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well...we have booked a fabulous looking hotel in Obergurgl for the Xmas week...now need to get NY week sorted.

We're not sure about Seefled NY week, as we've read quite a few comments about it being a small ski area, and with it being the busiest week of the year, it may be too crowded?

Can anyone recommend anywhere else? We will have a car....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@justbeginners, Zell am See has a nice lakeside location, and the town square hosts a traditional Xmas Market in the days up to Xmas . On Xmas Eve the local town brass band plays music from a balcony in the square and the local choir sings, so quite festive. There are some nice blue runs on the Schmittenhohe above the town.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was going to say Zell as well. Stunning resort, really worth going just for the views.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OH wants to go to Solden! help!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why, is she a party animal?

Beginners area can be very busy too (or so I've heard anyway).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am so worried...manically trying to find an alternative !! Have found an apt in Kaprun with availability
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HoneyBunny, we have a 7 year old, so not sure it is very suitable?!?!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's like anywhere, you can avoid the party places in Solden. Just do some research and make sure it has what you want.

Kaprun is OK but I'd rather stay in Zell - hopefully some other people can advise you.
latest report
justbeginners wrote:
I am so worried...manically trying to find an alternative !! Have found an apt in Kaprun with availability

Well if you've got a car then staying in Kaprun lets you ski on both the local Kaprun glacier and the nearby Zell am See slopes. Madeye-Smiley

Have you checked the Zell am See/Kaprun tourist office for accommodation? http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en

Another useful resource for accommodation throughout Austria is tiscover.

Hope this helps. snowHead
snow report
justbeginners wrote:
@HoneyBunny, we have a 7 year old, so not sure it is very suitable?!?!

Have a look at http://www.austrian-adventures.com/ - run by a Brit couple and their young family (absolutely fabulous kids which may be a boon for your daughter).

As you have a car, the location is ideal with several Ski Amade resorts practically on your doorstep - Radstadt (of course), Zauchensee, Flachau for example.
ski holidays
Thank you so much everyone! We are staying in Zell Am See...and it looks fabulous Very Happy Very Happy
I cannot tell you how relieved I am that I managed to persuade OH not to go for Solden!
Did have a peep at Austrian Adventures website, but think they are fully booked...maybe next time!
Very Happy
snow conditions
@justbeginners, I'm sure you'll like Zell am See. By the way, apart from the Xmas market I mentioned there's usually an early evening event on a day during the Xmas/New Year period (best to check with the tourist office exactly when) when the local sub-aqua club do some show by the lakeside where they move around with lights held above the surface. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
It sounds perfect thank you Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@justbeginners, Actually the lake event I was talking about is shown on the tourist office webpage here, as you see it's actually called "Christmas Tree Diving"! and is held on Christmas Eve. I'm sure your 7 year old will like it. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
You will love Zell, it's one of the most stunning resorts I've been to with a very nice town. The view from the mountains over the frozen lake is absolutely spectacular.

Hope you have a great time. When we were there they piled up snow through the village streets and did a ski race, very entertaining! They also did a freestyle evening at the bottom of the black into town so we could all watch the pros doing crazy stuff.

Our hotel was above the gin bar (handily enough), there were nice fur seats outside.
ski holidays
Best bet for the diving event (on Christmas Eve) is to have a drink in the bar at The Grand Hotel (if you are not already staying there) and then go out onto their balcony. It is a very popular event and the banks of the lake are packed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy