Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

who was extolling the virtues of the Stormriders?

Poster: A snowHead
I was yakking to my mate last week about him buying some new skis and I mentioned the Stoekli enormous great stiff things. For the record, my mate is 6' 5'' and weighs just over 15 stone.

From what someone said on here about their stiffness (I think) they sound like just the thing for a big guy like him who skis fairly aggressively.

a) any further comments on these big stiff planks
b) I know S&R stock them, but any other recommendations for a distributor? I like, where possible, to support the smaller business.

Cheers

Zammo
p.p. Beast (that's my mate's name ....)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

my mate is 6' 5'' and weighs just over 15 stone
Is he from the Sudan?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zammo, Stockli make a large range of skis, which model where you thinking of?..On here, confirmed snowHead fans of Stockli Stormriders are, ise and JT. I'm sure either or both will be along soon to help you with some info on some enormous great stiff things for Beast Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbunny, I was thinking of the Stormrider XL - they go to 194 and sounds pretty stiff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, not great on weight .... he's a big lad! Do I mean 18 stone?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo, He maybe one of those lucky. "tall & not fat like me" people Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, I've got some , the stormrider XL's that is, and i love them . Unfortunatley i am not a good enough skier to extol their virues enough. i'm only about 12.5 stone and 5'10" and to me they feel stiff but are very grippy and they love to go fast (or is that just me). i have only used them for one week and am hoping to develop my skills on them alot more this season. They do look nice tho Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mistermouse, How could I have forgotten that you had some...oh! the shame Embarassed Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny, I thought you had forgotten me, i thought you might even offer to carry them for me wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mistermouse,
Quote:

snowbunny, I thought you had forgotten me, i thought you might even offer to carry them for me

Of course not Very Happy . And as for carrying them....what boot sole length are you BTW Toofy Grin Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, 320mm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mistermouse,
Quote:

snowbunny, 320mm

Oh, pity, that's not good news for me. Inconveniently large feet you have Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, Poor water in his boots on a cold day - after a little frostbite it's amazing how people's sole lengths shrink wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa,
Quote:

snowbunny, Poor water in his boots on a cold day - after a little frostbite it's amazing how people's sole lengths shrink

Thats just not nice Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stiff? What does that mean exactly? wink
latest report
David Murdoch,

Not a lot if your are 15 st...!! Laughing

I'm a fan of XL's. And to the point of repeating myself they are an all round ski that will take him anywhere.
I wouldn't know what size he would need ( guessing 184- ish ) but typically the skis have a great edge which really does hold and they float and handle in deeper stuff very well. They lend themselves to an old school technique - well, mine anyway - and are just one stonking ski.
Incidently I tried them against the laser SL and the XL was not too far behind on edge hold as far as I was concerned which I thought was very impressive for a go anywhere on the mountain ski..!! They are Swiss hand made and therefore the flex is variable between pairs. How much you would notice this unless you skied skis back to back I don't know.

I haven't seen too many XL's for hire in the alpes but I know they have test centre in Engelberg where you can demo as many as you can find...!!
snow report
JT wrote:

I haven't seen too many XL's for hire in the alpes but I know they have test centre in Engelberg where you can demo as many as you can find...!!

The stores here still have a stock of last years XL's at sale prices.
snow report
I'm 5'9" and 13stone (yes I'm carrying a few extra pounds but I have chunky legs too!) and I ski XLs in 174cm. I agree with JT - 184 should be good for him. I think the 194's are strictly for the hardcore.

The XL is a genuine do anything ski. They are stiff but if your mate has reasonable technique then he should be good ( I think a good test is does he get his body well inside the arc of the skis in a turn). Most ski shops that sell them will let you demo them so it shouldn't be a problem.

I tested then bought mine in Jean Blanc in Courchevel 1850 FWIW.

Cheers, J
snow conditions
jedster, cheers guys. I'm seeing my mate tonight so will pass on your comments.

All he needs to do now is persuade his wife that new skis are more important than new baby stuff ..... Shocked
ski holidays
zammo, Anyone that buys new baby stuff for their own baby is a fool. It will come flooding through the door as gifts and hand-me-downs.
ski holidays
Trying not to do a Jeremy Clarkson, but think of it like this, Stocklis, whilst Swiss, are built for and skied by Germans (Swiss German if you like). AS we all know the Germans like beer and sausage so tend to be big guys who wear lots of leather. So they prefer big, burly, stiff skis.

This is also very true for Volkls and to a certain extent Fischer.

FWIW I have skied the AT and the DP models. DP will probable be too much for your buddy, they are fat fat. And the ATs will probably not be enough for him. So it *sounds* like the XL is perfect for him.

He might should also consider a Fisher & a Volkl. I'll leave that up to the others to decide which model Wink

nb Yes, my generalisation above sure is a sweeping one. Both in terms of large Germans and the three aforementioned ski manufacturers. However as sweeping generalisations go, it's a pretty handy rule of thumb. Wink NehNeh Twisted Evil
snow report
zammo wrote:
b) I know S&R stock them, but any other recommendations for a distributor? I like, where possible, to support the smaller business.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=2241

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=2229

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=1289

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=2231

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=2232

Best to try before you buy, why not get over to Cuckoo land and try 'em?

Bend 'em in Wengen.

I'd add Head to the list of skis that might suit him.
ski holidays
I can agree with the general comments on the Stormrider XL's, I hired a pair for a week in Obergurgl season before last, when on an off piste holiday, only down side was the terminal judder on icy pistes, they are quite light unlike my Elan 666's which are a much better ski but heavy, but nobody seems to talk about them (Elans that is) rolling eyes
snow report
Dypcdiver,
I had read that Elan 666 might be a ski to try but I couldn't find them. I didn't get the judder on hard snow with a 2005 XL you talk about
and would vouch that they float well enough if the stiffness of the skng is to your liking - they are reagrded as stiff and not light - and they do have a very solid edge hold.
snow conditions
Dypcdiver wrote:
I can agree with the general comments on the Stormrider XL's, I hired a pair for a week in Obergurgl season before last, when on an off piste holiday, only down side was the terminal judder on icy pistes, they are quite light unlike my Elan 666's which are a much better ski but heavy, but nobody seems to talk about them (Elans that is) rolling eyes

We don't mention **** as it starts Easiski off on a rant about them Very Happy
snow report
JT, Not only the judder but the sore hip & elbow which accompanied the judder. However if someone offered me a pair I wouldn't turn them down Smile still rate them as overall a good ski.
snow report
Not had the judder with mine
snow report
Judder can be caused by bad technique ( I've had a problem with it in the past ). Maybe the 666's are more forgiving to pilot error or maybe it was the tune on the XL's.

Anyone ever tried the AT http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=2241. If so how do they compare on the snow to the XL? (stiffness & weight etc)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, I find it's pretty easy to cause the 'judder' on both skis if you flatten the ski at turn finish and attempt to use rotary; to me the 666 has a far softer nose so transitions from soft-edging in fluff to bold edging on scraped surface are not as dramatic.

Only skied the 'old' AT, sorry. On a spring day at WinterPark, that felt a bit of a girlie ski with so-so float and only just reasonable bump manners, I gave them back and went off to play with some Volant Genesis Golds instead.
latest report
Dypcdiver,

I don't understand how you would get "judder" on Stormriders if you were skiing them as they are intended. They are renown for their edge grip and stability - so holding a smooth carve on ice and untroubled chopping through crud would be particular strong points. I imagine if your style is to use skid to bleed off speed then you might find that the the torsional stiffness and vertical side-walls made the edges a bit "snatchy" and I guess this could cause some "judder". I'd say that Stormriders are not designed for that technique and it's part of the reason that they have a reputation as a demanding ski.

I'm also surprised to hear you describe Stormriders as light. Mine feel pretty heavy and that's not surprising given the cores and 3 layers of titanal...

J
ski holidays
jedster,

Gotta agree completely, if this ski isn't holding an edge it isn't likely to be the ski IMV..

DB, Don't know about the AT but to state the obvious it sounds exactly like an XL touring version which is lighter . They also do a Pit light as well which I think is narrower, IIRC.
snow report
JT, The AT and Pit light, are both available in shorter lengths than the Stormrider. Pit Light at 156 with 70mm underfoot, and AT in 158 with 76mm underfoot. Will suit vertically challenged folk...like me Very Happy
latest report
Bit late joining this thread but i had to give up my Volkl G4s at the end of last season and managed to convince Neil Hardie of Telemark Pyrenees to part with the only pair of Stormrider DP Pros in france for the last month of the season. I am 6'1" and weigh 100 kgs, ski almost exclusively off-piste and have the 201 cm version. They are sensational. Super stiff and massively stable at warp speeds, even on corduroy. I would recommend them without reservation. telemark Pyrenees are the best place to get this sort of thing... Good luck!
latest report
Powderhound, I like the DPs. Nice to have someone else confirming that fat & long isn't bad. I also skied an older version of the DPs (the funny brown ones) in 203, superb. It doesn't even feel that big when you're really stamp on them...
ski holidays
Thanks for the feedback on the AT. I'm looking for for an allround ski to do everything (piste, offpiste, touring etc). I'll still keep my alpine boots and skis (inc fat skis) but need the ultimate compromise ski. The Stormrider XL, Apache Recon, Head IM75 (maybe IM88 too) and Dynastar 8000 (maybe 8800 too) are on my demo list but was wondering how the lighter AT compared to the XL. Like the build quality of the Stockli's but at my weight expect them to be too stiff for what I'm looking for (expect the 8000 will float better) hence considering the AT which sounds like it might be too soft.
snow conditions
DB, if you're looking for an AT rig & performance but big enough to ski alpine too how about a carbon ski? www.dpskis.com (used to be drake boinay), but no skis until February. There are other AT set ups if you are interested that are beefier so you can just ski it as the ultimate one ski quiver...

I've got some very pretty new NX21s waiting to be drilled and most likely to be on my Propets... very excited.
latest report
DB,

I wouldn't put the M75 in the same league as the XL but I would say the 8000 is a very good ski and it is just a case of what you prefer, I don't know how the XL would cover you touring but that is the only place you may call it too stiff IMV. And I am going to try the 8800 and maybe the DP if I get good conditions, cheers parlor, .. Smile
snow report
For what it's worth I use my DPs for everything, with a Fritschi Freeride binding for touring. Not the best for short swings or tight bumps though....
snow conditions
parlor,

Just had a set of freerides mounted on some old K2 skis and borrowed somebody else's skins for the time being. Was thinking of getting the new NX21 and it looks good but the reliability record of the Fritschi's and the fact that Intersport offered 20% last weekend swung it.

Thanks for the link. I'm 73kg and 174cm. The Cassiar looks a little long in 178 but it might work (a 170 ski has worked best for me in the past a 186cm Mad Trix Mojo spanked me). I could use a Stockli DP ....... for ski jumping wink . The Waiter 95 is probably too wide for a complete allrounder (for me at least). Prefer to demo before I buy, can DP skis be test ridden? Had similar problems when I considered the Bro Model from PMGear in the past. http://www.pmgearusa.com/bromodel/bromodelf.htm

Always open to suggestions on a downhill orientated AT setup though.
ski holidays
DB,

Stockli have test centres in the alpes

Lookie here

If you can spare a few days come down to Engelberg in Jan, they have a full centre there
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy