Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can we avoid traffic jams at half term travelling to the Alps by car!

Poster: A snowHead
I have already booked a Eurotunnel crossing for the Feb half term Saturday morning arriving Calais at about 9am. I have heard that there can be snarl ups at Reims where the motorway ends and also where the motorway starts to head towards the Alps near Bourg En Bresse. Anyone got any good ides on routes other than doing a different time as its too late!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@archers, where are you going?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
archers, Bad news I'm afraid, unless you can go on Friday or much later on Saturday you will be stuck in traffic. Half term Feb 2015 is a perfect storm for traffic to the Alps as most European and especially UK and French holidays are that week.
Which resort are you going to? If it involves going through Moutier expect 4 or 5 hour journeys from Moutier to the resorts.

PS. Reims now has a motorway bypass. It is possible to stay on Peage motorways all the way from Calais to the Alps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ouch! Difficult to see how you'll miss some pain, I'm afraid.

Even going on Friday night is no guarantee that you'd miss the traffic - 18 hours from Calais to Serre Chevalier one year with the last 80km taking 6 hours Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@archers, Change your booking and travel through the night Friday/ Saturday, or queue is my advice (if your going to Tarentaise), I'd rather arrive at 2pm than 11pm having queued for 3-4 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cacciatore, ouch, never had it that bad, even when the Col was closed on Christmas Eve, and we had to go via Gap it only took us three and a half from Grenoble. Spag carbonara was the most we managed for dinner that evening, but boy was the Christmas Day skiing worth it. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Reims now has a motorway bypass. It is possible to stay on Peage motorways all the way from Calais to the Alps

Yep - and that makes it a lot easier past Reims. Don't forget there is now a new route around Lyon as well, which makes life easier. But otherwise moving times either lot earlier or lot later is the only way to miss the traffic
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I expect this half term to be 'epic', as BE holidays is on that week too - the whole country will be traveling - last time BE had holidays it as one big traffic jam from Luxembourgh to Trois Vallees ....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
archers wrote:
Anyone got any good ides on routes other than doing a different time as its too late!

That's your problem.

It would be worth changing your booking.

Overnight all the way if the most traffic free, although last year we had to do half term and the traffic was just starting to build up from Albertville at 7.00 am. God knows what it would be like if you hit Albertville at midday.

The alternative, if you don't like overnight driving, would be to drive down to say Lyon on Friday, then set off really early, say 5.00 am from Lyon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drive to Gatwick. Park car. Get flight for £137/person return all inc.

Like most answers on the internet, that isn't actually an answer to your question at all, but vs 20+hrs on motorways, fuel, tolls etc. I know what I'd do!

If you decide to stick with driving, consider getting an electronic toll unit - doesn't solve the 5-mile tailback problem at the tolls, but might save 30 mins once you get near them. I think there's a British company that sells/rents them out nowadays.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, £137 at half-term including transfers?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
£137 return at half term using the easyjet flexi option. £70 out, £67 back are the fares available at present.

Transfers would be extra (the destination resort is unclear, so couldn't price that!). However, Alamo will rent you a car for £160 at Geneva for half term.

If there are 4 people, then total cost £548 + 160 + fuel. I'd be very surprised if the true cost of driving were cheaper once you allow for wear and tear, European breakdown cover, snowchains, luminous vests, coffee on the autoroute, a hotel stoppover etc..

Not sure this is any help to the OP unless not-driving is an option!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
archers wrote:
I have already booked a Eurotunnel crossing for the Feb half term Saturday morning arriving Calais at about 9am. I have heard that there can be snarl ups at Reims where the motorway ends and also where the motorway starts to head towards the Alps near Bourg En Bresse. Anyone got any good ides on routes other than doing a different time as its too late!

We're going on Friday straight after school then staying in Reims overnight. Plan to leave Reims early to be in front of the traffic
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trainee snowboard jedi, Good plan to Leave early around 6am or earlier! Reims is only 2.5 hours into the journey in France so you need to get going to get ahead, Moutier slows from noon on a normal peak Saturday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Plan to leave Reims early to be in front of the traffic

you'll be lucky. I agree with @boredsurfin. You'll be in the thick of it.
snow report
I don't think you will miss it if you arrive so late in the morning. I have done the trip at NYE and arrived Calais at 0800. We got to Arc 1950 after 11 that night, was plain sailing until just after the toll south of Lyon. Never again, if it can be helped. These days we go the day before and stay in Archamps, which leaves a load of time in the morning to go to the supermarket, then go for a ski before checking in.
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, Beaune if you can stretch it that far, will give you a better start. 2 Ibis within 10 mins from motorway and prices are good/desks open 24h for late check ins.
snow report
Need 2 drivers, with one who can sleep in a car,(I cant), Stay on motorways, throw children in car at School, and go , with them in uniform and don't stop except for toilets. No hotel - go through the night. I did it half term 10 years ago, - to Samoens. Didn't enjoy it though, but 12 hours it took. You need rested drivers though, otherwise its plain stupid.
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, a couple of years ago I was driving north from the alps to Calais, starting on the Thursday before half term. I left late and stopped for the night south of Reims. Heading north, quite early on Friday morning, I was struck by the huge numbers of big fat UK 4 x 4s heading south. Big, big, queues at the péage gates - miles. I was surprised, in my innocence, but was told by more knowledgeable snowheads that many private schools were shut on that Friday. Leaving London after school time on Friday there is no way you will be ahead of the game.

However, as @twoodwar says it's daft to drive all night with a tired driver. (I've done it more than once, driving alone, but not at half term with the road full of tired people trying to beat the traffic and am always ready to stop if I start yawning....). You really will struggle to get ahead of the traffic but the alternative is to get behind it. Have a good stop, good supper, share a bottle of wine, get a good night's sleep, leisurely start, stop for lunch, aim to get to resort during the evening. Just make sure you know how to get hold of the key for your accommodation, if you're renting.
ski holidays
We always travel down on the Friday evening this year we're gonna stop just outside Lyon, on the tag front I signed up for one today as I noticed they are doing a deal with a valid eurotunnel booking reference. Saves waking the wife up at toll booths.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@trainee snowboard jedi, a couple of years ago I was driving north from the alps to Calais, starting on the Thursday before half term. I left late and stopped for the night south of Reims. Heading north, quite early on Friday morning, I was struck by the huge numbers of big fat UK 4 x 4s heading south. Big, big, queues at the péage gates - miles. I was surprised, in my innocence, but was told by more knowledgeable snowheads that many private schools were shut on that Friday. Leaving London after school time on Friday there is no way you will be ahead of the game.

However, as @twoodwar says it's daft to drive all night with a tired driver. (I've done it more than once, driving alone, but not at half term with the road full of tired people trying to beat the traffic and am always ready to stop if I start yawning....). You really will struggle to get ahead of the traffic but the alternative is to get behind it. Have a good stop, good supper, share a bottle of wine, get a good night's sleep, leisurely start, stop for lunch, aim to get to resort during the evening. Just make sure you know how to get hold of the key for your accommodation, if you're renting.

Looks like my master plan is a complete failure then! Doh

The is the first time I've driven and by the sounds of it, it maybe the last!
snow report
Quote:

Saves waking the wife up at toll booths.

rolling eyes It's very good for the driver to get out into the fresh air and walk round. wink
snow report
trainee snowboard jedi, Driving at Half term is perfectly doable, however I believe these days your children need to contract a sickness bug and thus can't go to school on the Friday book an early 07:00, no later ferry or tunnel, book a room around Beaune, on a good drive you may get there by 5pm. Saturday mooring up and on the road at 07:00 then it should be a 4/5 hour drive to your resort.

For the return you need to be on the valley floor BEFORE 07:00 then you will be ahead of the jams on the way back. Moutier slows up from around 08:00.
snow report
@archers, changing the time of your Eurotunnel crossing is pretty easy, so I would change it, leave earlier, and stop worrying. If you can't leave before 7am on the return trip, stay until 3pm or so, get an extra days skiing, then overnight in Dijon/Beaune area.
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, don't forget that if you had flown, chances are your coach transfer from the airport will also be stuck in a similar traffic jam.
ski holidays
Quote:

If you can't leave before 7am on the return trip, stay until 3pm or so, get an extra days skiing, then overnight in Dijon/Beaune area.

That's what we do. Takes the stress out of the trip and we get an extra day's skiing/some lovely food in Beaune after a week of fartiflette
ski holidays
We drove through the night last year to the swiss alps and met absolutely zero traffic at all once we'd boarded the eurotunnel. thre worst section by far was the M25 in some abysmal weather. we had 3 drivers, all used to working strange hours so it was no real bother. Though the more people who get tempted the more traffic we might meet...

This year its less of a problem as OH had to work a couple of days in october half term and is now owed them back so we are travelling the wednesday before and the monday after half term this year.
latest report
Quote:

If you can't leave before 7am on the return trip, stay until 3pm or so, get an extra days skiing, then overnight in Dijon/Beaune area.

this is ideal - probably the quietest the slopes will have been all week. In fact, I can't think why anyone would fight their way out of resorts at 9 - 10 am and spend hours in jams. Worst of all worlds.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, we do as it happens, as we have a long trip on Sunday once we get back to the UK, so like to get a good way through France before we stop for the night. We will however, not be travelling on peak weekends and will have been there for at least 2 weeks. So apart from an occasional problem with weather (snow fell door-to-door for 2 days) it has been relatively plain sailing, but then we aren't going through the Tarentaise.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
@archers, where are you going?

Going to St Gervais close to Chamonix
ski holidays
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
pam w wrote:

Looks like my master plan is a complete failure then! Doh

The is the first time I've driven and by the sounds of it, it maybe the last!

OK I get the message. I think I will have to get to Calais the night before and start really really early on the Saturday!
ski holidays
St Gervais is a slightly different proposition to most of the horror stories. You won't have to deal with Albertville, Moutiers or anywhere similar. In fact, once you get close to Geneva you are home and dry (in my experience). I drive Geneva -> Chamonix between 6 & 12 times a year, nearly always on peak weekends, and its NEVER been a problem. Motorway pretty much all the way, snow chains never required etc.

On clear roads in summer, with a disrespect for fuel economy, it is possible to do Calais-St Gervais in 7hrs. If you're dead set on driving I would consider sticking with your original plan, having a leisurely lunch en-route, and planning to arrive St Gervais at 9/10pm. That stand you a good chance of being behind the traffic wave. Families heading for the central Alps will still have 3-5hrs drive from the Geneva area, whereas you'll have about 45 mins, so by 10pm there won't be many of them left on the road.

That said, since its St Gervais and you can probably get a transfer there for <E30 per person from Geneva, I reiterate my suggestion that you skip the driving and get on a plane! At <150 per person, unless there are more than 4 of you in the car, flying will probably be cheaper. If you started early on a plane from Gatwick, you'd be in St Gervais for a leisurely lunch, time to buy ski passes, sort out equipment etc. Let me know if you want details of how to get the £137 return flight price.
snow conditions
@archers, as above that's not as far and not as bad as the more central resorts the other posters have been describing. Still bad driving that day but not as bad! If you go to Calais the night before then consider actually crossing the night before, we often do this and get just as far as Arras (about an hour) so that we are on the right side for an early start the next morning.

Doh! Wake up before posting! Embarassed of course if you are in Calais you have already crossed! I was reading it as Folkestone Embarassed

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 13-11-14 8:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

I think I will have to get to Calais the night before and start really really early on the Saturday!

That would work. You wouldn't have to start particularly early - get a good night's sleep then, as suggested by @snowdave, arrive after the main wave. St Gervais isn't a bad drive, as he says, and the queues on the motorway between Geneva and Chamonix, whilst not as bad as the Tarentaise queues, should have gone by the time you get there, making for a more relaxed day.

I have never bought lift passes in St G but think about getting them in advance if at all possible - in my place the queues for passes on busy Sunday mornings are bad - and very frustrating when you just want to get out on the slopes. I don't understand why, really, when they have a good system for buying online. If you do it soon there'll be plenty of time to have them posted out to you. I like St Gervais - a great little town.

I don't think you will get flights to Geneva now at reasonable prices.
snow conditions
Many thanks that's encouraging and a friend has just said much the same about the drive down. As usual it will all be subject to any accidents and Peage queues along the way. Good advice about the ski passes being booked online. I was considering that

Many thanks to all who have posted comments and as I seem to be travelling to a location a bit closer than people first thought I will stick to driving but try to travel across to Calais the night before and stayin a hotel there
snow report
Many thanks that's encouraging and a friend has just said much the same about the drive down. As usual it will all be subject to any accidents and Peage queues along the way. Good advice about the ski passes being booked online. I was considering that

Many thanks to all who have posted comments and as I seem to be travelling to a location a bit closer than people first thought I will stick to driving but try to travel across to Calais the night before and stayin a hotel there
snow report
There's an IBIS budget nearby I think - they are usually a good low-cost bet. But book NOW, it'll be busy.
ski holidays
Yes I have been looking at that. By the way what's the eurotunnel traffic like getting to folkestone for around 9pm
snow report
We have been driving down at half term for the last 10 years or so and, touch wood, haven't run into horrendous, i.e. 20 hr journey, problems. We have found that the traffic is busier than for normal French motorways, but that is better than, say, the M25. Thinking back, there have been a few jams due to accidents, peages or pinch points, but frankly you can get them any time of year. In my view its a question of expectations - you're not going to do it in 8 hours from Calais, simply because there are more people on the road.

Because we drive on so many of our summer and winter holidays, we are quite efficient about toilet stops, having lunch, swapping drivers, etc. We have also got a peage tag (google SANEF) which saves a bit of time but is mostly really convenient (no scrabbling for money or cards and less queuing).

I should point out that we have mostly travelled to Geneva, turning left at Dijon. In my view this is a better motorway as it avoids all the Paris traffic that joins south of Dijon.

The last few years, we have driven to Brides. We tend to get the train from Folkestone at around 8.30 am on Saturday, turn lefdt at Dijon, go via Geneva/Annemasse, stop for dinner at a friend's in Annecy and get to Brides at about 10 pm. A bit of traffic in Albertville at that time but not masses (cutting across from Annecy helps).

I hope I haven't jinxed this year's trip...
snow report
Quote:

turning left at Dijon

Quote:

get to Brides at about 10 pm

keys to success! If your destination makes it sensible to "turn left at Dijon" and avoid the A6, that makes sense.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy