Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid December long weekend near Turin. Any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
I have booked flights to Turin and a hire car from 11th-14th December for my girlfriend and me but am leaving booking somewhere to stay a little bit longer to see what happens with the snow in the meantime!

If the conditions are looking truly awful lower down; Orelle for VT shouldn't be a bad option but ideally we'd somewhere more Italian.

Can people recommend any hotels/resorts that don't get too busy with locals at the weekends, have a variety of terrain for intermediates and some cosy/characterful accommodation. I guess Sestriere and Aosta/Pila would fit the bill, especially for more traditional places to stay but I have been to neither.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@leggyblonde, snow in Serre Chevalier is wonderful at the moment and not even open yet. OPening for weekends from 29th November.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And still under 2 hours from Turin, interesting...

Probably not Italian enough (we normally go to France) but definitely worth considering thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Champoluc?

Do you want hotel or apartment?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think a hotel for 3 nights would be best as apartments seem to for week long stays in general. Any particular reason why you recommend Champoluc?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@leggyblonde, I can offer weekend accommodation in an apartment if you are interested.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, thanks, I'll bear that in mind and speak to my other half
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@leggyblonde, it's open (much of France for example, is not.

It's easy to reach from Turin.

The skiing is extensive and varied.

The food is excellent and all good vfm.

I like it.

It will not be busy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@leggyblonde, oops, I have just realised there will only be skiing from the Saturday, so Serre Che wouldn't be suitable for your dates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cervinia?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sestriere. 90 mins from Turin and high enough for early season.
I just booked four night from 11th December in a four star hotel B&B including four day ski pass for €178!!!

They are doing free ski pass deals in early December.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monterosa (Champoluc) also doing free ski passes for min 4 night stays at certain hotels. http://www.valdayas-monterosa.it/default_e.asp
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the responses!

@maddness do you have a link?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
(Serre Chevalier)...easy to reach from Turin
Yes when road conditions are good; Not so easy after a snowfall as there is a tricky mountain pass to negotiate. We've done it twice from Turin side - once in January and once in April - and needed snow chains on both occasions. Great ski area.

Definitely best to wait until nearer the time and check out the snow. Subject to that, my suggestions would be:

- Sauze D'Oulx. Under an hour from Turin Airport. On weekend breaks we've stayed in cheap digs in the valley town of Oulx, as well as up in the resort. Just turned up and got digs on arrival.
- Aosta - ie the town. Cheap B&Bs and bigger hotels and a proper, old town for nights out. Cheap for food and drink. Linked directly to Pila by gondola and also an easy drive to Courmayeur.
- Cervinia - Loads of accommodation, at all price ranges.
snow report
. You've been quite unlucky if it has happened twice.
snow conditions
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.sauzedoulx.net/&prev=search
ski holidays
Monterosa is great (ski area straddles the border), though not huge (links to Sestriere / Sauze D'Oulx area but not very conveniently). Sestriere rather modernist architecture but otherwise fine.

Aosta ski area is a bit limited (but OK) and well above the town, which is very much a town, not a ski village. (Gondola lift between town & ski)

Champoluc / Gressoney La Trinité / Alagna is fabulous for off piste - Champoluc perhaps the best of them for (not very advanced) piste skiing.
snow conditions
Hi, any recommendations for cheap transfers from Turin airport to Champoluc?
snow conditions
You do not say what sort of skiing you want but we go to Pila every year and enjoy it. It opens 29th Nov and has loads of snow at the moment so should be fine. It is busier at the weekend, obviously, but then so is everywhere. I have not been at that time of year so can not say what the queues would be like as keen people could be more than later in the season when we go.

There is everything from B&B to 4* hotel options most if not all are ski-in/out.

Speak to Carole at pilaski.co.uk and she will sort out everything other than the flights that you already have sorted. She has been based there for 16years so knows it like the back of her hand and will not steer you wrong.
latest report
Quote:

Monterosa is great (ski area straddles the border), though not huge (links to Sestriere / Sauze D'Oulx area but not very conveniently)

You are surely thinking of somewhere else - i.e. not Monterosa.

@jubnut, probably easier to hire a car.
snow report
@under a new name, Montgenevre perhaps?
#
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, is the snow getting washed away in Serre Chevalier? Seems to be pouring with rain all over at the moment, except at the highest levels - and in Pila, too. Looking ahead it looks fairly warm. I think if I were aiming for a mid-December weekend I'd wait and see. The places which are snowless now might be doing better by then, and vice versa. Things can change very fast in November/December - though many French resorts won't be open then, or certainly not fully open, even if there is a huge amount of snow.
latest report

@pam w, webcam I am looking at still looks fairly white at the top of the Cucumelle lift. None in village as yet, but there wasn't any last week either.
latest report
@pam w, Fully agree that things can change very quickly so early in the season. But the Pila webcam at the top looks good too so not sure what damage any rain has done to the main slopes. However ski in/out is looking trick at the moment but then there is a month to go. Even if you only have the top runs there still should be plenty to go at. Top webCam is here http://pilaski.co.uk/pila-summer/pila-webcam/ Village webCam here http://www.pila.it/en/webcams/1804/

They do also have the big gondola at the top to down load back to the village if the lower runs are too slushy even if open.

Only suggested it as it is very close to Turin, simple cheap & quick transfers and more than enough for a long weekend. Depending on Flights should be able to ski for a decent time on arrival and departure.
snow report
@Jake43, I went off Aosta a bit having had my clutch go there - and getting ripped off by the garage who nearly wrecked my car. But I really like the look of Pila and shall ski there one of these days. Certainly very convenient for Turin. Nothing against Pila - or anywhere else - but I do generally think a late accommodation booking makes sense in mid December.
ski holidays
Transfers: http://www.findtransfers.com/
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@Jake43, I went off Aosta a bit having had my clutch go there - and getting ripped off by the garage who nearly wrecked my car. But I really like the look of Pila and shall ski there one of these days. Certainly very convenient for Turin. Nothing against Pila - or anywhere else - but I do generally think a late accommodation booking makes sense in mid December.

I did agree before and still do; so early in the season needs a place with good snow. Last min is the answer. They will be able to get something in Pila last min if it is worth it. Watch the Cams and ask the locals. Carole lives in the village and will give them a true answer - if it is bad she would not mess them about. It is just so easy from Turin to be top of my list - transfers are only about €27 each way each (i think).

I did see you had fun with the clutch - maybe you are just not destined to get there. Still driving to Genoa or have they moved.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow down in the Village now in Pila and looks like it is sticking down there too. Opening Nov29th.
pictures here https://www.facebook.com/carole.thorburn/posts/1003276373031822
snow conditions
So they are not opening now until Monday. Just when you are coming back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy