Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach March 2015

Poster: A snowHead
afternoon Snowheads...

Hoping for a bit of advice of which resort to head to for 7 nights on week beginning either 21st or 28th Feb.

We will be flying into Salzburg so it looks like we will choose between Saalbach, Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzbuhel, Soll or maybe even Mayrhofen as they all look easily accessible by bus transfer.

There are 6 lads going all around 25 so lively aprés ski would be one of the priorities.

Skiing ability varies from advanced to never skied, although none of us have much interest in exotic off-piste runs or tough moguls.

From doing a bit of reading it sounds like Saalbach might be the best fit for us as it's got a good ski area as well as a notable reputation for apres ski debauchery... which is appealing...

Self-catered accommodation is our preference, and it seems like Saalbach is a little more expensive than the likes of Kaprun or Zell am See. Though if it has superior apres ski and pistes then this would be worth it.

What are other posters experiences of these resorts and would you see any obvious winner for us?

And if we end up going for Sallbach, would it be a big advantage staying in Saalbach village over Hinterglemm?

Thanks

EDIT: flights booked, 15 of us heading to Saalbach 28th Feb for a week.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-12-14 12:42; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach FTW.

Saalbach over Hinterglemm? Probably Saalbach... Saalbach generally has more going on, especially later at night, but you WILL want to spend at least on evening at the Goaßstall in Hinterglemm, and it's also worth going to the Eispalais (or however it's spelt) to chat up hot Dutch girls.

EDIT: Taxis are cheap and easy between Saalbach and Hinterglemm anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm 26 - I did Soll about 6 years ago with 5 mates and it was very cheap, lot's of skiing if not the hardest and very fun. Enough places to go out at night and plenty of people about to enjoy it with.
Soll would fit the bill in most ways - the advance skiier may get a little bored, but with Soll's nursery slopes being high up, it allows beginners to feel involved and experience the whole mountain rather than just the base station nursery slopes.
The sheer amount of Kilometers of piste in the Ski Welt should keep most people happy and you could always go on a day trip to Kitzbuhel (inc on lift pass IIRC) from there also.

Can't deny Saalbach-Hinterglemm is very tempting though and may be the best option for the apres reason alone.

Kitzbuhel would be good, not sure the normal demographic would suit 6 x 25 year old lads though.
Kaprun - too quiet for you guys I would think.

Going to Zell this NY with my other half and some friends - kind of wish I'd booked Saalbach but the idea of going to Zell was to hopefully get the OH wanting more as it's her first skiing holiday.
Hopefully Zell's charm and good looks help to give her the bug!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your input. Saalbach seems like it ticks all the boxes. Soll maybe worth looking into further as well. Might just come down to where we can find cheaper accommodation in best location (close to lifts/bars).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach hinterglemm much better than soll imo.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@barrymct, If you are not going with a Tour Operator, there is a list of transfer companies on the Salzburg Airport website showing which taxi shuttles service which resorts >> http://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/passengers-visitors/arrival-parking/bus-train-taxi/taxi-transfer-service/

For 6 of you, it will always work out cheaper to book your own taxi transfer from one of these companies rather than pay for individual tickets.

And you should definitely go to Saalbach rather than Soll. From your original list, I'd only really rule out Kaprun for après ski - it's far quieter than Saalbach, Zell am See or Soll. Kitzbuhel will probably be comparatively expensive and Mayrhofen is the longest transfer from Salzburg.

Be aware that there is World Cup racing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm on 21st and 22nd Feb, so accommodation is likely to be at a premium.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Saalbach. Awesome place!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@quinton, wasn't aware there was WC racing on 21/22 Feb. Thanks for the heads up. Is that likely to have driven up accommodation prices already, or will it begin to kick in over the next number of weeks as bookings fill up? Just my thinking would be if we were able to book somewhere soon enough (or maybe booking for end of feb in mid november isn't considered early?) we wouldn't be paying the WC premium... Would be nice to experience some pro racing if we didn't have to pony up massively for it. Would appreciate your thoughts here.

Re transfer: yeah we aren't going with a tour operator. I find you can get more value going DIY. Helps that Ryanair fly Dublin to Salzburg. So for transfer I was looking at http://www.holiday-shuttle.at/html/englisch/saalbach/aboutus.html which looks very reasonable at a round trip of €84pp. I haven't looked at a quote for a private taxi yet but wouldn't have thought it would be much lower than that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@barrymct, W/c 21st Feb is usually a busy week anyway - lots of Dutch families on half-term who like self-catering accommodation. Go to the Tourist Office website [ www.saalbach.com ] and play with their booking service to get an idea of what's available. You might find that a B&B works out just as cheap.

Holiday Shuttle are the people to use for the transfer to Saalbach. Booking a VIP taxi (i.e. a minibus taxi) from them costs €210 each way, €420 for the round trip so €70pp for 6 of you. The added advantage is that this taxi runs to your timetable, whereas the scheduled Shuttle Bus runs every 2 hours, so you could be waiting around (on both journeys).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Used Vorderegger to transfer to Zell last year, very good service and Saalbach is included in their destinations, for €70 pp return, would recommend based on last year's experience. They picked us up in a private 7 seater for the return journey at no extra cost due to the early flight time.

http://www.vorderegger.at/_ui/files/fahrplaene/91deddb0e11e046053a3063f78058749.pdf
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@quinton, Hadn't looked at accommodation through the tourist website up till now, but it's much cheaper and more varied than what I was looking at on booking.com. Thanks.

@debtors#2, will check them out when it comes to sourcing a transfer. Looking like there may be up to 10 of us now...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Hadn't looked at accommodation through the tourist website up till now, but it's much cheaper and more varied than what I was looking at on booking.com. Thanks.

Rule #1 when going to Austria - look at the local Tourist Office websites first. The small B&Bs and Pensions tend not to use sites like Booking.com.

Vorderegger are another good option for transfers to Saalbach at similar prices to Holiday Shuttle. If there are 10 of you, it will still probably be cheaper to book a VIP taxi from either company.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had one of the best boys weekends in Saalbach a couple of years ago courtesy of a certain Mr Tatman of this parish. Veryg ood Apres scene and something to suit everyone.
Soll is good too but to get any distance you're nearly always coming back home on the same two or three runs which can get a bit monotonous it's a good laugh though and train transfer is very easy to there too.
Good luck sorting everyone out, I tend to be organiser for my friends and it can get a bit hassley!!

But DIY for a group is the best way to go IMHO.

Joe
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@joe1978, had this experience once before in 2010. Organised for 10 of us going to Tignes and luckily everything went perfectly.

Back then though I had the confirmed numbers from early on, could be a nightmare this time trying to get people to either commit or rule themselves out!
snow conditions
Saalbach!

Although Hinterglemm does have night skiing and, perhaps more relevant, the Goaßstall Toofy Grin
ski holidays
And another vote for Saalbach!!

I've done both Soll and Kitzbuhel, both of which do not come close to the fun we have in Saalbach. It's nicely compact if you get your hotel/apartment location right. I love the fact that the ski back to the village can take you past a number of great bars/mountain huts on the way, ending up at the main apres bars, which then only leave a short walk to change from your boots into your shoes for a bit more apres.
snow report
Quote:

I love the fact that the ski back to the village can take you past a number of great bars/mountain huts on the way, ending up at the main apres bars, which then only leave a short walk to change from your boots into your shoes for a bit more apres.

And that's before you get started on the après après Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@blondends, changing out of boots??
Must admit Saalbach is probably one if the few places where when sitting down to dinner in a restaurant in the evening 8-9pm a large proportion of the clientele will still be in full ski gear.
Après is that good!!
snow report
Flights booked for 28th February Smile
snow report
barrymct wrote:
@quinton, Hadn't looked at accommodation through the tourist website up till now, but it's much cheaper and more varied than what I was looking at on booking.com. Thanks.

@debtors#2, will check them out when it comes to sourcing a transfer. Looking like there may be up to 10 of us now...

Re booking.com - most accommodation providers do not have their availability on booking.com in the winter season - why pay commission when you dont need to!!! booking.com say somewhere is fully booked - OFTEN WRONG - providers often chose not to advertise with them so a some will have availability so approach the tourist offices or availability sites where you can see availability, cant book but can send a request ie bergfex. Though half term weeks might be a problem. For winter reservations some places hike their prices up to booking.com cos they know there is a captive audience. Other option look at booking.com without dates to see what accommodation is in a resort and then via the internet approach the providers direct. Summer months are different!
snow conditions
Done both Soll and Saalbach in recent seasons. Soll is considerably cheaper than Saalbach for Apres, ski hire and the ratings of the hotels is some what distorted. For instance 4Star in Soll is superior to Saalbach but gets bumped up because they are literally 100 meters from the lifts. Skiing at both venues is great. Soll is a great resort but fair to say it is quite British and Irish orientated but not exclusively. Saalbach is a lot more International. Been with mature groups normally but last year went back to Soll with daughters 25 and 21 and their boyfriends one of which was a beginner. They loved the place, skiing, Apres the whole package. Where ever you go in Austria you will have a great time.
snow report
So what started out as 6 lads going has avalanched into a mixed group of 15 (with possibly more to come...)!

Thinking of booking into apartments at the Landhaus Bernkogel which has the benefit of ski-in/out (so long as we come back that way) but looks like could be a trek up the hill if we're walking back from town. Location here: http://goo.gl/wIqiwE

Either that or stay in apartments on the road between Hinterglemm and Saalbach which are at the bus stop. Any of the locals any thoughts which location would be better?

The trip can't come soon enough as I only got 2 days skiing last season! Just hope the snow gods are good to us!
latest report
Both locations have the advantages and disadvantages you have already pointed out. Ski in and out is great but it is a long steep trek to town. The places on the road are a about the same distance away but have the advantage of no hills to climb. Ski buses run on the road every 20 mins during the day but you will need to walk or get a taxi at night. (lots of taxi availability and with a group your size cheap as chips). I know its not much help, but neither is perfect and neither is terrible, its a compromise you just have to accept for Austrian towns like Saalbach.
snow report
Hi. I went to Saalbach in March this year. Apres ski was great. Tons of bars. Bauer bar is a must for a group of lads. Snow was ok higher up but low down it suffered. We went to Kaprun (glacier) for 2 days and the skiing/snow was great. I doubt the Apres is on par with Saalbach. I definitely stay in Saalbach over Hinterglemm if you're gonna be on it every night!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy