Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many days piste skiing in Niseko for Intermediates? And do we need a guide?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've done a search but I'm not sure I have the answer I'm looking for

I'm off to Niseko for 5 ski days in Feb with the boys (2 advanced skiers, 2 intermediate boarders)

We're not fans of repeating the same slopes, so how many days skiing do you think we have on piste going over the same oldf ground? As a comparison, we can do a week in Espace Killy and feel that we're not getting bored but are starting to repeat some of the best slopes by the end of the week.

Do we need to hire a guide as search seems to indicate that there is as much offpiste as there is on piste?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 days, maybe 3.

Loads of offpitse inbounds, no guide required.

Take a day trip to Kiroro and another to Rusutsu.

Bus to Kiroro goes 2 or 3 days a week. Rusutsu daily..
Both are fantastic...MUST do's.
All information at the Welcome Centre or from the tourist information booths.

You will all have a blast.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What @rungsp said. The resort setup is more like the US, where pretty much the whole area inside the resort boundary (except a couple of very clearly marked areas) is avalanche controlled so you can ski anywhere you like between runs. Most of it is fairly obvious, so no need for a guide. Even when you step out of the backcountry gates, a lot of them lead to very obvious routes back down to lifts, and again no need for a guide (but do take a copy of the little topo-map that they hand out at the bottom of the lifts just in case). If you really wanted to hike up to the peak and go somewhere less obvious (e.g. goshiki onsen) then it would make sense to grab a guide, but for 5 days you'll have plenty to do without this.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the input

Probably won't bother with a guide then, or if do then just for day 1

Sounds like a great place to go, roll on Feb!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You definitely don't need a guide (especially on piste!!), but as Niseko gets pretty busy a guide will certainly keep you skiing freshies much longer than if you just go looking yourself.

There is also zero point going to Japan to ski pistes. Europe is FAR better for that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
There is also zero point going to Japan to ski pistes. Europe is FAR better for that.

Do they bash their piste right after storm like in Europe?

(I ask because in north America, majority of pistes are largely left untouched for a few hours to days after the storm. Only after the snow got cut up and bumpy that they bash it back to corduroy. But I "discovered" the reverse was true in many European resorts, majority of piste got flatten as soon as it stop snowing Sad So I'm curious as what the Japanese do. Or more specifically, Niseko, as I'm quite likely be going there 2015/2016 season)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@abc, from memory they aren't as militant as most European resorts - I think they try to bash a chunk of the pistes (with a focus on the lower ones most used for lessons...) fairly quickly after a storm, but nowhere near the whole of the resort. I think that's partly deliberate and partly because there are too many storms for them to keep up Cool

You won't regret a visit to Niseko (in Jan/Feb, anyway)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Do they bash their piste right after storm like in Europe?

(I ask because in north America, majority of pistes are largely left untouched for a few hours to days after the storm. Only after the snow got cut up and bumpy that they bash it back to corduroy. But I "discovered" the reverse was true in many European resorts, majority of piste got flatten as soon as it stop snowing Sad So I'm curious as what the Japanese do. Or more specifically, Niseko, as I'm quite likely be going there 2015/2016 season)

Most slopes yes. Others they groom overnight and then let the powder accumulate on top.

The grooming in the Niseko United area is good, but not as good as other resorts on Hokkaido IMHO.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy