Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What made Britain's most elite ski instructors convert to helmets?

Poster: A snowHead

This thread kicked off on 9 November 2014.
The photographic evidence suggested that - in 5 years - BASI's instructor-trainers had converted from almost-total avoidance of helmets to almost-total use of them in preparation for the Interski demonstration event in Ushuaia (later this year) in Argentina.

The top photo shows the BASI trainers at Hintertux in 2009. The bottom photo shows the Interski demo team in training last October at Zermatt.

What made Britain's most elite ski instructors convert to helmets?

I'm getting murmurings that helmet promotion may be an active element of BASI sponsorship for Ushuia - maybe a helmet sponsor is being actively sought. Previous postings on this thread suggest that some trainers who tend not to wear a helmet (in their normal work) may put them on 'for special occasions'.

If any senior instructors would like to express additional views or observations on this ... they're welcome to do so!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-02-15 17:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
BASI Trainers as a group have not made a big switch. Individual instructors might have decided to use helmets, for at least some of the time. I assume you think it's OK for them to reach their own judgements about what protective equipment they use?

Yes absolutely. The question is essentially whether commercial considerations are at play in terms of BASI perhaps presenting helmets at Ushuaia as an integral/essential element of ski kit. Will the BASI Interski team "reach their own judgements" (to adopt your phrase) on this?

Another way of expressing the same question would be "In the absence of a helmet sponsor, would fewer BASI-Interski demonstrators wear helmets?"

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-02-15 17:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blind leading the Blind Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe the difference between the two photo's is more down to insurance requirements ?

If the insurers insist that helmets must be worn when they are training as the BASI demo team then they have to wear them.
Maybe you might see this as a conspiracy between the insurers and helmet manufacturers but I see it as an organisation trying to limit the risk of paying out and also to minimise that amount if they do have to pay out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am more concerned that they have gone from a fetching two-tone style of jacket and sallopette to a god-awful matching two-piece. At least someone took offence and chopped off one of their legs at the knee-cap (well... they did to those poor bugs in the front row).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a far more pressing question: why the hell are the all wearing the same clothes? What's that about, then? Last time I skied with some of the demo team members they were wearing a section of Scott, Salomon, Patagonia. Now they're all in Avalanche. Bloody splitters, the lot of them. Seduced by the frivolity of "looking like a team" or "presenting a professional image". Surely the official voice of UK skiers has something to say about this?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar,
They need to make sure they have more time they next go ramraiding Laughing
Spending more time in the bar leaving just enough time to grab gear on one rail results in the attrocious colour choice shown, after all if they had more time I am sure they could have found some really nice lime green gear wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@speed098, the current uniform is a bit loud, but infinitely better than the last two outfits (plain black; vomit swirls). A nice lime green uniform would be a big improvement, although All In One Orange is where it's at right now wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
@speed098, the current uniform is a bit loud, but infinitely better than the last two outfits (plain black; vomit swirls). A nice lime green uniform would be a big improvement, although All In One Orange is where it's at right now wink

Had to wear bright satsuma orange with a dash of royal blue long enough to say never again ( well unless I see a good bargain wink ).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
speed098 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Had to wear bright satsuma orange with a dash of royal blue long enough to say never again ( well unless I see a good bargain wink ).

What colour were the zips? Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@speed098, I quite like Satsuma Orange with a dash of Royal Blue. I think it should be compulsory and I'm going to start badgering the official voice of British skiing to make it so.

Sadly this photo doesn't do justice to the Orangeness of it as I think I bamboozled the camera's sense of colour...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, they must be fast jackets Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1 wrote:
speed098 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

What colour were the zips? Very Happy

Same orange if memory serves Embarassed ( was a long time ago in a ski resort not too far away rolling eyes ).

Other's I had to wear, purple and yellow then replaced by black with magenta piping. I do miss the hat I had with that one though it was an Italian make Capa conti ??? really warm even when soaked through.
Tried to find the make since starting back but so far no luck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar,

Yes but then you need orange helmet, boots, poles and skis. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
speed098 wrote:
@rob@rar,

I'm on a mission...
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:
Wow, they must be fast jackets Madeye-Smiley

If you look at the pic closely enough you can see they were that fast a few are still plastered over the base of some of the pylons NehNeh
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
speed098 wrote:
@rob@rar,

I'm on a mission...

You have till the start of the EoSB to fulfill the mission wink
snow conditions
[David Goldsmith posting as Karl Marx]

@rob@rar, I guess this thread will be active up and until the time that the BASI Interski demo team appears at Ushuaia, Argentina, in September 2015.

Given the evidence logged over the past 6 pages... of extremely variable helmet use (or demonstrated helmet use) by BASI trainers ... it seems that the described narrative has been more than reasonable. BASI seems set on having a team which ski in helmets either exclusively or near-exclusively. So ... why all the hostility to a perfectly valid exercise in journalistic enquiry?

rob@rar wrote:
@Fattes13, @stevomcd, pointless arguing with somebody who thinks that you can discover real life through atypical images and media puff pieces while sitting in their pyjamas and furiously Googling. What's the worst kind of conspiracy theorist? Someone who actually believes their own nonsense.

That was your comment on page 3 of this thread ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113734&start=80#2607979 ... and not very sensible, don't you think?

Earlier you said ...

rob@rar wrote:
BASI Trainers as a group have not made a big switch. Individual instructors might have decided to use helmets, for at least some of the time. I assume you think it's OK for them to reach their own judgements about what protective equipment they use?

That remains the key issue - will individual members of the BASI Interski demo team have a free call on this? Or will all members of the team be obliged to wear helmets, because of a sponsorship deal?

I persist with this type of stuff, because of the persistent attempts of opinion-leading organisations (such as BASI or the SCGB) to get people to wear helmets ... or to plead with the public that the trend is to wear helmets. With ski insurers 'liaising' with the helmet industry to make helmet-wearing mandatory, we need independent representative bodies to remain independent in their judgement and actions.

You are pitching to be the Alpine Director of BASI in a forthcoming election - what's your position on the BASI team at Ushuaia? In your view, should the individual members of that team be free NOT to wear a helmet, if they don't normally ski in a helmet?
snow conditions
It seems that the above point, and the thread in general, has been answered by James Bennett - a member of the BASI Interski demonstration team. He commented on 7 August ...

"The demo team has looked for a helmet sponsor and found one in Neon. So we all will have one on!"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/permalink/10152912945065826/?qa_ref=qd&comment_id=10152913155410826&offset=0&total_comments=52&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/permalink/10152912945065826/

This somewhat confirms the general impression that commercial imperatives are overriding personal preferences/beliefs. Check back to the two photos at the top of this page.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
..Check back to the two photos at the top of this page.

If they insist on a uniform, they really ought to do it properly and match the colours up ... looks a bit scruffy IMO.
ski holidays
Or to put the anti goldsmith spin on things.

"As the majority of our instructors already wear a helmet out of choice we looked to secure a commercial arrangement to reduce their ongoing costs, this arrangement does mean that all instructors will now need to comply with our ongoing clothing and brand policy and those in the minority who do not wear a helmet 100% of the time already will now do so this has impacted a very small number of individuals who are happy to comply given the added protection helmets provide and the fact that the commercial arrangement is favourable to us and the individuals concerned.

NB i don't wear a helmet currently when skiing out of personal choice, but i do wear a uniform of sorts as prescribed by people i work with and for. If i don't want to wear what they request i don't get to work for them.
snow report
Quote:

It seems that the above point, and the thread in general, has been answered by James Bennett - a member of the BASI Interski demonstration team. He commented on 7 August ...

So why bump the thread?

ps Welcome back David. I trust you had a good summer break Toofy Grin
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

"The demo team has looked for a helmet sponsor and found one in Neon. So we all will have one on!"

This somewhat confirms the general impression that commercial imperatives are overriding personal preferences/beliefs.

Not how I read it:

We used/wanted helmets (before having any commercial obligation), so then looked for a sponsor and found one.
latest report
Yep - Mr G needs to learn to read and comprehend what he is reading rather than adding his own " journalistic" (?) comments.

" The demo team has looked for a helmet sponsor" sounds to me as if the Demo. team has indeed looked for / searched for/ sourced/ engaged / co-opted/ partnered with a helmet sponsor BECAUSE IT WANTED TO.

Obviously, as a sponsorship, this will mean that the helmets will all match, and no- one can say " I can't afford one this month after mine was bashed on that rock / pool table/ chairlift bar last week"
ski holidays
The team did such a high - impact demo, it was obvious they needed the helmets. I ended up loving the different colours. Like M&Ms. Neon colours back on the slopes? My 1980's persona loves that.
see what you think:-
Our B A S I Boys and Girls did us proud.
"Great Britain" ! Basi at Interski conference in Ushuaia Argentina
I'll give it a 5 out of 5 for "Wow" factor. Shapes appear and flow then transform. All high-speed action and race-level skiing.
Click here :-
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/72813572#to00:23:25
Start at 23:25 to see B A S I
latest report
Here's another one: B A S I team even surpasses itself:-

"OHMSS" "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" Cool
High speed, close-passing, big shapes transforming. What a show!
Click here :-
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/72813572#to00:43:25
Start at 00:43:25
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy