Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of GB - Membership Level for an experienced skier but beginner boarder?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am a pretty experienced skier but have never had a scgb membership. I am now planning to learn to board...I've done it before but I am 100% beginner newbie. My question is would it be wrong to purchase a 'beginner' membership? I ski a lot but don't board and while I will ski this season I will also be paying out for beginner boarder stuff and I want to join the scgb for the discounts.

From my perspective I am a beginner as a I don't really know how to board beyond standing up. The fact that I can ski to a pretty decent level is neither here nor there so I think its okay for me to buy a beginner membership. I don't really want to avail myself of the Leaders or Freshtracks service and £24 seems very attractive compared to the £63 for a full experienced person membership.

So the question is am I taking the mickey or can I reasonably say I am a beginner boarder and pay less?

Discuss!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you should pay £63 as an experienced skier, plus £24 as a beginner boarder.

Please send a cheque, payable to 'Comedy Goldsmith', for £87 and await delivery of your membership pack. "Await" being the operative word.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't like this cheap-seats membership idea. It is just pandering to those too tight to stump up their proper subs. I told them, we'll only produce an influx of snowboarders, calling us all 'dude' and slowing everybody else down but they seem to think any new member is better than none at all. Drum the bugs out, I say, before they ruin it for the rest of us.
Are you absolutely sure you want to be a member of the Club dear boy? It doesn't sound like you can really afford it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't write bugs. I wrote b u g g e r s.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith, Super Chap Great Bloke, Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ignore the posters about - if you haven't been a member before, and don't need the Leader service (which is now minimal anyway!) then go for the beginner membership. It's a good way to evaluate the club and decide if you want to stump up more next year. Not taking the mickey at all - just using the option they are providing for a cheaper subscription.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a boarder, wouldn't SCUK (silent C) be a more useful option? Cheaper too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I've said before. the £24 membership fee is what all memberships should be.
If I lived in the UK again, I'd do exactly that Smile (ignoring history, of course)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A suitable moment to revive this cam footage from a Tea Club board meeting?

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do love a bit of debate! To be fair I will probably use the Profeet discount for new ski boots but I am a beginner boarder. I don't think I will ever go over to the dark side but I'd like to be proficient on a tray. Maybe even try Splitboarding in the future. I like a challenge but my first love will always be my skis!

If you want to love your skis as much as I do then send $5 to Happydude Evergreen Terrace, Springfield, somewhere in the Usa.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want to join as a snowboarder for the discounts. Why bother. Join the Snowboard Club UK instead. They have excellent discounts specific for snowboarders and are a really friendly bunch. As a beginner their forum threads are really active and you can get excellent advice on what gear to buy. It is also much cheaper than ski club to join so you will save money all round.

This year they seem to have many more discounts either equal to or better value than scgb discounts. The SCUK club as it is known is very big now and a main player in the UK snowboard scene. Much more so than scgb which I do not think ever really wanted snowboarders from my experience. They did not change the name when asked to do so to include snowboarders and that is about when SCUK was established. Hope you join.

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/index.php?module=Membership&func=apptype

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 8-11-14 19:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That seems a very sound point from Snowcrazy ...

... and (non-comedic hat on) why does the SCGB now operate discriminatory pricing against its existing non-beginner membership who don't ski with reps ('leaders') ... since they comprise about 85% of the membership?

I can't see how one can logically expect loyal members to renew subscriptions at £63, if they are receiving identical services to those paying £24.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy