Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa Ski 14/15

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Deep powder in the trees all day in Gressoney. A brilliant day. So deep and so fun.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And that was that, as forecast today was bright and sunny although there were at times some cold cloud drifting in lower down. It felt quite warm, around +5 degrees Celsius at 10ish felt more like early March or April even than Feb at times! Having been used to deserted pistes all week today was relatively mobbed! With many runs getting bumped up and polished in places. Avalanche risk was high today but saw many numpties venturing off and plenty without backpacks/gear.

Has a really awesome week, my intention/hope was to do some of the classic off piste routes in the area and maybe some heli-skiing but the weather just didn't allow. I'd not trade the amount of snow the area had for anything though.

Really loved the area, for a holiday it's quiet nice pistes, high mountains, trees, doesn't get tracked out quickly. I'd stay in Stafal probably if I were to return the Chairs out of La Trinite are slooooooooow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not a numptie. We had some very nice off piste, bitbwind blown, sticking tongentler gradients.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I should have added 'on questionable aspects/gradients' how's the hand?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bene, wink

I think after all of today's powder and some rather nice afternoon bumps, the pin in my little finger is trying to self eject.

But it's functioning pretty well, thank you!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, and the snow is fantastic. Somewhat skied oit, yesterday was the day, but all very splendid
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Maybe my best day on skis yesterday despite lapping the same couple of areas just above Gressoney La Trinite again and again it was awesome skiing in the trees.

Weather didn't allow much exploring but there's always next time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indeed!@Bene,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's looking like more snow on the way for the weekend to coincide with our arrival. Can't wait to get out there! Anyone else on here in Champoluc next week?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just sat in Turin after a week in Gressoney. Plenty of snow, around 30-50cm of fresh last Saturday but it went very mild low down on the Sunday so horrible crusty off piste then early last week some very, very strong winds stripped a lot of slopes or created very heavy off piste conditions. A few cms yesterday should have freshened the pistes up but did little for the off piste. That said, we did ski some nice powder on a tour over to zermatt.

Pistes were awesome though - the smoothest, best groomed I've seen anywhere!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very springlike yesterday and today. Some nice chalky off piste bumps. Some nice slushy bumps after lunch.

Mid morning pistes flat and firm and while not busy, many of the skiers skiing too fast... Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big storm coming Saturday onwards from the looks of the forecast. Maybe too much! Arriving Friday night so I love the snow in the forecast but hope it's not so much that it causes problems re: avalanches and lifts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwepowder.nl%2Fweblog%2F5901%2FPA%252318-200-cm%252B-verse-sneeuw%253F&edit-text=
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

many of the skiers skiing too fast... Shocked

We did a day trip from Chammpoluc over to Pila - they really ski fast there, and often way above their ability. It may possibly be influenced by all the race training going on over the mountain in different spots. We saw a team from Chile as well as local clubs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Correct thread this time wink

Drove up to Gressoney, Staffal from here in Serre Che (2hr 45), was heavy rain all the way turning to snow a couple of km down the road from Staffal.

With me was a mate with his two sons and we'd been doing various "stuff" down our way and were going up to Monterosa to meet another mate who had been up there since Sat with his OH.

They'd not seen much of the sun for the week and had good snow, though a little heavy and said there was a good 40-50 up top by the time they'd come down.

We had guide booked for the next day and forecast was looking good.

Sure enough woke to a clearing sky and met up with the guide at 08:45 - but it was not the guide that my mate had been with for the past couple of days. This guy did not speak English at all well (asking how many tables* we had in the group), as our group was made up of two snow boarders* and experience was varied my mate went back into the bureau to see if the guide he's had previously was available, as past experience is that it's best to have a guide that knows you and you know him as it can go a bit "Pete Tong" with guides.

Fortunately he was available (bureau like to divvy the work out to the guides).

So up we went taking around three lifts to the top then a long traverse round before dropping down the Alagna side.

Snow was sweet up top, and progressively heavier as we dropped down, and was amusing to see the guide having issues (he fell).

We then kept over the Gressony side scoring some nice lines though weather was changing, and not for the better.

Was good to see that there was a Polizia only allowing people to take the cabin that went to 3300 if they had avy gear (he was testing everyone).

Guide then suggested a short skin to the Mantova Refuge for lunch (3500) and then a run down the N facing side.

So that was a skin and a scramble, you wouldn't want to fall here!

Arrived at the refuge and viz was bad. Had a late lunch then went for the descent - conditions were foul and guide again was having issues, and cursing like mad at the lack of viz / depth of snow in the end he decided was too bad - so back on with the skins and up to the hut where I fully expected we might have to spend the night!

What we did was follow some tracks down very very carefully - it was only lower down around 3000 that we could start to let the skis run, but snow was heavy.

We eventually got back into Staffal around 17:15 !!

Track log here http://www.movescount.com/moves/move57136483

We were warned about strong winds forecast for the following day and sure enough awoke to a howling gale in the valley and saw snow being ripped off the summits so no surprise that everything bar one lift was shut.

Guide did try to suggest a little tour but that was more out of desperation and we could see loads of other guides talking to their groups about similar plans. Our guide was relieved when we declined his suggestion.

So what to do?

I then had a light bulb moment. The mate we'd driven up to see , had a brother and his own best man spending the week in Sauze D'Oulx and it was his brothers birthday, so we were back on the road heading to a surprise birthday rendevous in Sauze !!

Which was done brilliantly as birthday boy had no idea we were coming over en masse as we'd sorted it all out with the "best man" .

As for Gressoney - to me was all a bit of a FreeRide Factory with loads of groups with their guides on their one week thrash.

And then there's the German Heli brigade, though they didn't get a lot of air times this week.

I know I'm sounding a bit up myself but I simply prefer the more chilled atmosphere down in this neck of the woods Cool

Should add I'm not dissing the ski terrain, that is fantastic with access to so many 4k peaks etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy