Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Couloir was the Blizzard of Aahs Couloir Sequence Filmed in?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, hoping someone can help me.

Any idea what this couloir is called?? I can't find it anywhere online...

http://youtube.com/v/07mJC0CZESk

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This may help ...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-218717.html

Quote:
Scottish_Skier
03-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Yuo - As mentioned above there is 2 poubelles in Chamoninx.
This photo above on Aiguille Du Midi...
... and also the other one off Grand Montets on the pas de chevre side.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_08DttR2uLGE/S4RQgFqLucI/AAAAAAAAADg/KALiebqB1BI/s320/le+poubelle.JPG

Both poubelles actually feature in Blizzard of Aahs (though it took me about 10 years to work out that out!).
Never skied either of them.... but I am of the same 30 something generation that will always have a soft spot for Blizzard of Aahs and 210cm K2 Extremes.

During a pub conversation a swedish friend reckoned that Poubelle -> Rond / Cosmique -> MB tunnel is perhaps the finest lift accessed off piste adventure run in Europe ?
Though I guess it not often in condition these days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, didn't they call it couloir Poubelle, or was that just their jokey name for it?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
when i saw the title of the thread immediately thought of Poubelle as thats where Plake nearly takes out those below him. I have the movie at home so will see if theres any more information prior to that clip (hazy memory but think there is a 5 or 6 minute segment leading up to to where Schmidt drops in)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pretty sure it's off the top of Grands Montets but don't know the name. Paging Idris!

It's not Poubelle (unless there is a third one I don't know about in CHX)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, but the Poubelle was the one where Plake fell and nearly took out Mike Something - Hatrip?

Where's Idris or Offpisteskiing when you need them haha?!

Arno, yeah I'm 99% it's off GM, but I can't find any more than that!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, there are 2 Poubelles and they skied both of them. The one where Plake almost took out Hattrup is off the Aig du Midi (on your right as you start down the Arrete) and the one where they abseiled in is right by where the Bochard lift on GM drops you off
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha - I posted that comment on TGR in 2011.
As mentioned above Chamonix has 2 poubelle couloirs - both are in Blizzard of Aaahs.

However Arno is correct - that sequence posted above is a narrow wee slot directly off the top of Grands Montets cable car to the black piste below.
It is probably not skiable any more ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
the one where they abseiled in is right by where the Bochard lift on GM drops you off

Me and my now wife watched a couple of scandi's doing it on a weekend trip Feb 2001. Half of me wanted to say, rope me up boys, the other half was going bejeesus Shocked

That was our warm up day. We did have a guide for a couple of days and did the vallee blanche and other bits and pieces. Daren't mention poubelle to him though!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:

Where's Idris or Offpisteskiing when you need them haha?!

Sorry... That slight inconvenience called work getting in the way... Sad

As the others have said - there is alot of action from the Poubelles (mostly the Midi one if memory serves) but the "look who's in the starting gate" line is off the top of the GM - partway up the metal stairs on the way to the top viewing platform. Its pretty obvious as you ski down if you look back up and left once you are over the 'schrund as you come off the col. Have never seen it skiable, but then I am only up there sporadically...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 6-11-14 19:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS altogether now.....

WARRIOOOOOOOOORS OF THE WASTELAND.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like @offpisteskiing said, never seen it skiable either
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Technically, it wasn't skiable back then either - neither of them even looked like sticking it! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is Glenn Plake the nicest guy in skiing?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ed123,
Anyone skiing moguls on old DH planks is a nice guy in my books.

Think I might go watch the video maybe Maltese Flamingo as well.
latest report
@offpisteskiing, @Idris, thanks guys. I wasn't planning to ski it (!), just wondering if it was named?
ski holidays
Ended up watching Harry Ackerman dreaming instead. Shocked

@clarky999,

If you get a chance to ski any off the couloirs in B of A don't pass up on the chance they are ............... ( well you will just have to do them to see what I mean wink Skullie ).
snow conditions
the Poubelle off the Bochard looks doable (with the right kit to get into it obvs); the others, not so much
latest report
@speed098, the couloirs, yeah... but this particular couloir into big mandatory air above a crevasse, maybe not... Laughing
snow conditions
@Arno, I've seen it done without a rope but with lots of side stepping.

Link for mobile.

http://youtube.com/v/nYdVB9xcRfE

@clarky999, my thoughts were, two of the best skiers of their day basically fell down it.
snow report
@jbob, I'm not sure if that's for or against it haha??!
ski holidays
@clarky999, for them, against it. Maybe still waiting for a first decent. I've seen someone ski the other way from that platform, down on to the face, basically straight lined it.
ski holidays
@clarky999, AFAIK dosen't have a name - will ask when my French neighbours arrive for the winter

@Arno, @jbob, Seen the Poubelle skied without rope or sidestep - I nearly died falling down in 10 years ago!

@ed123, Plake is one of the few genuinely nice guys in the ski world - he is passionate about Skiing, whatever the discipline

@speed098, Anyone skiing well on oldschool gear is a dammed good skier, very very few can or even could ski well on thoses nasty things.
latest report
@Idris, thanks.
snow report
@Idris it kind of beams out him...
snow report
@Idris, the thing that would put me off apart from death, is the audience.
snow report
jbob wrote:
@Idris, the thing that would put me off apart from death, is the audience.

Try dropping into the north face of the Midi Wink

http://www.epicski.com/t/83930/aiguille-du-midi-face-nord-eugster-couloir-1st-may

Haven't been back since, not the foul conditions nor the audience or danger but CROWDS - it's got to be a bump run in good weather!
latest report
The one Glen Plake falls in is off the midi alright but I remember reading online somewhere that it had been effectively closed off by some rock fall or something, any of the Chamonix lads confirm? That's such a great scene

The other one is at the bouchard, I remember waiting there for a mate and going up to enjoy the view and looking down the cliff (to see to my shock a head moving on it fixing ropes). Last time I was there I saw a middle aged french woman, looking like she was walking back from the supermarket with a baguette, go down it with a guy in a purple and blue onesie straight out of the 80s, if not Blizzard itself. not a helmet or a harness between them. Think I posted about it here!

Can be done without ropes alright, this is the only video I've seen that conveys quite how steep it is at the top:

http://youtube.com/v/ShFK2YxcvHo#t=109
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/chute.jpg this is the one off the Brochard (not me) The guy climbed through the cables and then made his way over the rock until he reached the snow and the disapeared round the corner.
snow report
@8611, that vid is brilliant, dodgy entry but after that looks great.
snow report
Yep that vid is just how I remember it. Once I got past the entry I think I would fine. But the entry.. f!
snow report
Just watched the Vid and forgot to check the names of all the couloirs Embarassed May just have to watch again wink Just watching Kim Reichhelm loosing an argument with a tree Confused
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Thanks guys, but the Poubelle was the one where Plake fell and nearly took out Mike Something - Hatrip?

Haven't a clue but I never get tried fo watching that Clip

http://youtube.com/v/HUvvjYP5aZY
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy