Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts in France ranked on cost per km

Poster: A snowHead

http://www.lefigaro.fr/conso/2014/11/06/05007-20141106ARTFIG00206-a-2-euros-le-km-serre-chevalier-est-la-station-de-ski-la-moins-chere-de-france.php
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's even more ridiculously rubbish than the cost of coke survey.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right, it's obvious nonsense. Going to a resort which is twice the size of another, doesn't automatically mean you get twice as much value for money, as implied by this "survey".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a load of nonsense
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lift pass cost per KM might be interesting.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kat.ryb, again, that implies that twice the km of piste = twice the value, which is just silly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
C'est evidement pas vrai. Si on ecouter aux snowheads, on sait que Les deux Alpes n'as pas assez des pistes a faire du ski pour une semaine. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just shows you can create any figure all based on what you divide by. By splitting resorts up e.g. Les Arcs and La Plagne and the 3v resorts you can come up with any figure you like.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yabut , Serrre Chevalier is outstanding value for money.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevomcd wrote:
@kat.ryb, again, that implies that twice the km of piste = twice the value, which is just silly.

Indeed, 100km of Green runs would be worthless to me but fantastic for a beginner or young family.

Anyway thought every one on here went off piste all the time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You're all so cynical! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay. La Plagne and Les Arcs are listed separately. The extra cost of a Paradiski pass is marginal so would, very roughly, halve their figures.

Just seems to be a mathematical way of finding the largest ski area that can't be broken up somehow.

Pointless! Where's Richard Osman?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@altis, I think it was just a mathematical way of getting the sponsor's name in a national newspaper. Hardly the first time a nonsense survey has been reprinted!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where is Chamonix? cheap as frites I'd say!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
That's even more ridiculously rubbish than the cost of coke survey.

More lines for your euro though - not to be sniffed at!
snow report
I suspect that Les Sybelles would beat all of them but it isn't even shown.
snow report
altis wrote:
Okay. La Plagne and Les Arcs are listed separately. The extra cost of a Paradiski pass is marginal so would, very roughly, halve their figures.

Just seems to be a mathematical way of finding the largest ski area that can't be broken up somehow.

Pointless! Where's Richard Osman?

^This^. It's all based on a purely abitrary decision of what constitutes a 'ski area' vs a 'linked ski area'.
latest report
The worst is probably La Grave but many would contend it is the best resort [Clarkson voice] in the world!
snow report
Shut up you lot !! wink wink

Tell everyone it is very accurate scientific figures and thus they should never dream of going to a resort rated 3 or more.

Think of all those fantastic resorts now with uncrowded pistes for all Snowheads to go play snowHead

I know we loose a few good resorts but hey we can always manipulate the figures every few years.
latest report
Part 2: Same link but after the graph, it says:

Quote:
But if we take out the skiable distance and concentrate only on accommodation, ski hire, and lift passes the cheapest resort is Puy St Vincent at 363€72 per person for a week.

The most expensive is Alpe d'Huez at 642€10.

Serre Chevalier now finds itself classed in the middle of the big resorts, costing 499€.
ski holidays
The speed of lift infrastructure in important too, depending on how much you like to ski. At somewhere with a modern, fast lift system I can easily ski 10K vert in day. At a local resort with a 8 euro lift pass that wouldn't be easy or even possible.
latest report
The 8 euro place will probably also have shorter runs but probably lots of 3.5m p/s pomas so still plenty of skiing available, think Glenshee on a good day !

Small resorts with low power lifts will also have less crowded runs and therefore often higher quality skiing, making them good value.
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k wrote:
stevomcd wrote:

Indeed, 100km of Green runs would be worthless to me but fantastic for a beginner or young family.

Anyway thought every one on here went off piste all the time.

I'm sorry but we need a video of you skiing before we believe you can ski anything more technical than a green run.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
The 8 euro place will probably also have shorter runs but probably lots of 3.5m p/s pomas so still plenty of skiing available ...

And you actually get to ski twice as far when you're using a button, T-Bar or rope tow to get up the hill.
snow conditions
Actually, while the study above does seem to have a lot of issues, I'd be interested in seeing a table giving the cost per kilometre of a lift pass.

I'm not saying that bigger ski areas are necessarily better, but I am one of those people who prefers to ski a new piste rather than one I've already done. And on average I enjoy green runs the same amount as blue, red or black.

It would be useful because if was going for a week (say), I could cross off resorts with less than (say) 150km of pistes and then look which remaining resorts had the cheaper lift passes. It would give me an idea of potential value for money for the lift pass.

Once again, I understand that some people like going to smaller resorts, repeating runs lots of times, going off piste, place a higher value on other aspects of skiing beyond the amount of km etc., in which case a table wouldn't be useful for them. But for me, piste extent comes quite high up my list of priorities, so it'd be useful for me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy