Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

madonna di campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
I think someone advised him that the ski schools there were good for English speaking children. I'm not sure though but I'll ask him what he was told.

Anyway is there an easy way back for him?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@The Danno, The simple answer for a 7 year old novice is ''no''. The way back to MdC from Folgarida is via Monte Vigo.
From here, I'm afraid all the pistes into MdC are red. I suppose he could catch the chair lift instead on skiing(no. 6) to Refuge Viviani then blue pistes 50 and 54 http://www.enchantedholidays.co.uk/madonna-di-campiglio/piste-map/

Quite frankly, this is not going to be ideal, and I certainly would not advise it.
I would suggest that your friends book instruction in MdC.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arrrr. Slight misunderstanding. The 7 year old is a girl, and the big wuss who can't do red runs is a 45 year old bloke. Not me by the way!!!!!

We'd have to go pick the 7 year old up later in the day for sure!

So would he be allowed to use the chair lift down instead of ski it?

I'm sure he'd be able to do it once he got his confidence back, and the fact that I will be relentlessly taking the wee wee out of him Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@The Danno, OK - he can take chair lift no. 6 down from Monte Vigo, then chair lift no. 35 up.
From here he will need to ski red piste no. 43 connecting to blue piste no. 50 peeling off onto blue piste no. 56, which will bring him down into MdC.
Red piste no. 43 may be a little tricky for an improver, and for somebody who has lost confidence, could be a baptism of fire.
This circuit would take about half an hour for an intermediate skier.
Do consider that once he is on piste no.43 he has not escape route.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Campiglio wrote:
@The Danno, I don't understand why your friend's 7 year old has been advised to learn to ski in Folgarida. In my opinion the facilities in MdC are better, with a lot more instructors.

We used to take school trips to Folgarida to learn. When Folgarida set themselves up towards boarders they got rid of drags which had the effect of attracting lots of school trips as drag lifts were/are a bit of nightmare for school trip leaders. To be honest, we felt the terrain was better at Folgarida for beginners too with the main bit above Madonna being farily steep for first time skiers.
Folgarida had an excellent reputation for learning to ski although this was a few years back. It's also a lot cheaper than Madonna, of course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@The Danno, I'm going to be in MdC myself in mid March and have been invited for dinner by the director and the marketing team of Folgarida. We've been thinking of expanding our operations into Folgarida. As you say, it is less expensive than MdC and it would be nice to be able to offer dynamic packages to those on a budget. However, we can only do this with the approval of the MdC tourist board. We are the official UK operator for MdC and we would not want to compromise this prestigious position.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some of the time the lift down from Vigo towards Madonna has a bar across the top entry. This means you will not be able to take the chair down. Of course some of the time it's open, but it may not be worth the risk.

A much better idea would be to just take the cable car down in Folgarida and wait outside Café Roby for the free bus back to Madonna. You could also take the bus over in the morning if you don't have a car.

The best ski school in the area for young children is Evolution Ski School in Folgarida. We sometime put children into this school as they have indoor facilities (kinderland) which are very useful if a child get tired or the weather turns really bad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very helpful. Thanks all.

Now..... when is the snow going to arrive in Madonna??

The webcams are looking very bare... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@The Danno, I don't trust weather forecasts, but according to the Alpine guides it's going to be another couple of weeks before any substantial snow falls. We did have a cold snap a couple weeks ago, and it did start to snow, but temperatures have risen again since then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm doing a snow dance right now!! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lisa_BrentaSki wrote:
Some of the time the lift down from Vigo towards Madonna has a bar across the top entry. This means you will not be able to take the chair down. Of course some of the time it's open, but it may not be worth the risk.

A much better idea would be to just take the cable car down in Folgarida and wait outside Café Roby for the free bus back to Madonna. You could also take the bus over in the morning if you don't have a car.

The best ski school in the area for young children is Evolution Ski School in Folgarida. We sometime put children into this school as they have indoor facilities (kinderland) which are very useful if a child get tired or the weather turns really bad.

Good morning Lisa,

It is 'I' the big woose that can't ski the reds between the two resorts and has the 7 year old skiing for the first time. I'm glad you cleared this up as it was Wayne that said Folgarida was the better resort to learn and I was starting to wonder if the hassle of getting from Madonna and back every morning was worth it. Reading your reply its good to see it is.

One further question, is there any all day care for kids or is it just mornings?

Many thanks

Colin 'get out of my way I'm in the middle of an uncontrolled snow plough' snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"with the main bit above Madonna being farily steep for first time skiers. "

I thought that Madonna had lots of easy slopes to learn and progress onto and was ideal for beginners?? Or have I misunderstood the resort reviews??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jimmybog, Madonna has easy blue runs into the village all the way from the top on both sides of the valley, and is absolutely ideal for beginners
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks campiglio; thats what I had read and the photos of the slopes on google maps seemed to confirm this
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Belfast Col, I really would think carefully about this business of having your son at ski school in Folgarida. It will be a pain in the backside having all the commuting back and forth and it is completely unnecessary. Madonna will be absolutely fine for your son. The slopes are gentle, the pistes are immaculately groomed and we found the ski instruction to be great for all levels. I'm not suggesting that Wayne, a Folgarida ski instructor, might be biased Very Happy , but I'd honestly save yourselves a huge amount of hassle and just book instruction in MdC.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Belfast Col, I really would think carefully about this business of having your son at ski school in Folgarida. It will be a pain in the backside having all the commuting back and forth and it is completely unnecessary. Madonna will be absolutely fine for your son. The slopes are gentle, the pistes are immaculately groomed and we found the ski instruction to be great for all levels. I'm not suggesting that Wayne, a Folgarida ski instructor, might be biased Very Happy , but I'd honestly save yourselves a huge amount of hassle and just book instruction in MdC.

Thank you FTZ, I'll have a look as it does seem like a pain!!
snow conditions
When we say Madonna then, are we saying the gentle Campo Carlo Magno slopes?
snow report
@The Danno, Others will advise you better than I, but from memory the blues down into MdC are all very nice easy blues. The skiing in MdC is generally very flattering and several in our group who might have classed themselves as nervous red run skiers found themselves very happily skiing all the blacks too.
ski holidays
Damn. I thought I was doing well!!!! Haha
ski holidays
The Danno wrote:
Damn. I thought I was doing well!!!! Haha
Very Happy I'm sure you were doing brilliantly. The best run for me was Pancugulo which was a new black littered with signs warning that it was only suitable for 'expert skiers'. The run is at a slope of 69%, but there was so much perfect snow that it genuinely wasn't hard at all - and I'm a complete wuss when it comes to blacks. I felt a million dollars having skied that slope! My 10 year old wasn't hugely impressed.
latest report
I haven't done any of the blacks there. Well apart from a 100m section at Spinale (I think) that blends into red!

I don't do black runs Embarassed
ski holidays
Good to hear that it is a good place for people to advance. Our little girls won't be having lessons this year and will be skiing with us, so the fact that the runs are not too scary is great to hear. I do have an 11 year old thrill seeker though, and she gives ME heart attacks when she decides to do a run when I am not sure she is ready. ( I am almost always wrong)
ski holidays
The Danno wrote:
I haven't done any of the blacks there. Well apart from a 100m section at Spinale (I think) that blends into red!

I didn't either until I went to MdC😄
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
The Danno wrote:

I didn't either until I went to MdC😄

That's means you're better than me!
snow conditions
I wonder can anyone advise? - what is the lift situation in Madonna for a non skier? Want to go with some non skiers to decent mountain restaurant (not sure which) and if anything is accessible for non skiers.
Many thanks.
latest report
Chalet Fiat is good and is accessed by taking the cable car from central Madonna to the top of Mt Spinale. There were quite a few others that you can access by the gondolas and do not need to ski to. Breathtaking views.

Enjoy Cool
snow conditions
I seem to remember that you can get to and from the one/one's at the top of Groste very easily. Refugio Viviani is a v short and gentle walk from a gondola, so overall I'd suggest it's probably better than average. Campoglio will be along shortly and give more advice I suspect.
snow conditions
@timmythedog, all the main access gondolas provide easy access to at least one restaurant and are good for people watching
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am very excited as have just booked Hotel Dahu for mid Jan. Has any stayed here and have any tips?
latest report
Could anyone kindly recommend the easiest blue piste in Madonna di Campiglio to start with?
Haven’t been on skis for a while and would like to get back the feeling before I approach the other blues and reds.

Thanks.
ski holidays
The blues at the top of the Pradalago (sp) are quite easy.
latest report
Thanks SteveW, we are going in March with a third week skier and that was exactly where we planned to go to those runs on the Sunday morning

Edited to write what I actually meant to say, doh

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-01-20 20:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks Stevew.
Will try the blues at Pradalago tomorrow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy