Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

XC Skate ski, where to buy (seen Sp Conrad, elsewhere) thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Strong alpine skiers and proficient roller bladers.

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Altis.

Anyone got any ideas on standards of kit to buy? I am inclining to going higher rather than lower end, as I can't imagine how lower end kit will make life any easier.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No eyed deer.

The Boys of Braemar are probably your best bet. They care about their skiing and will keep answering any questions you may ask. Excellent customer service IMO.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@altis, I'll give them a call.

Ta.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With xc it's different then with alpine. In alpine race gear actually makes you ski worse if you don't know how to handle it, in xc it doesn't. Skiing with race xc skis is better then with beginner skis, even if you are beginner. But on the other side, race skis are 600-800eur, while beginner skis are under 100eur, so it's up to you, if you are willing to pay so much for something, you won't be able to get advantage out. Same goes with poles... cheap low amount of carbon poles can be found for some 20-30eur, 100% carbon poles are around 300eur... and you crash once and they are gone. You will definitely feel difference between 30-40% carbon and 100% carbon poles, but for beginners, I really doubt they will be pushing hard enough to feel cheap poles bending during push. So basically you come down to high price and very fragile, but fast equipment vs. low priced, much more durable but heavier and slower stuff. Now it's up to you to decide which way too go Wink
PS: Being good alpine skier doesn't mean a thing. In all my life I saw 3 alpine skiers who are good xc skiers, and everyone else (most of them are World cup racers) are... well not good ones Wink And you can see that with stability on skis, not to mention technique etc. So what you do on alpine skis is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to xc skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah but he says he's a proficient roller blader so should be ok on skating skis.

Look for boot fit first, something like this will be fine:-

http://www.ekosport.fr/salomon-active-8-skate-13-p-1-13011.html

that will dictate which binding system you go for. Some debate as to the merits of the Salomon Pivot system over the Pilot system.

Something like this will be ok as a starter skate

http://www.ekosport.fr/atomic-pro-skate-13-p-1-23905.html

try and get a binding/ski pack.

I wouldn't spend more than 150 euros (sale price) but what Jogi says is true about skis.

If you want some Rossi Carbon 190cm skating skis without bindings and are driving by Grenoble one day I can give you a pair. Put some Salomon SNS pilot bindings on from Ekosport for 35 euros and you are good to go. Depends on your height, they would be good for 180cm skiers.

BTW Worden in Chambery are very good (I note you are in Geneva).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always a selection of x country kit here http://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr and the guys at Albertville have seemed reasonably clued up in the past.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got good advice Au Vieux Campeur, but then I'm a Vieille Skieuse.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, Thanks for the offer, maybe a little long as I'm only 165cm ish.

Point about strong alpine only that we both have quite well developed dynamic balance. Allegedly.

I've rollerbladed for 20 years (and nordic bladed for 10 (yes, it exists)), her nibs for about 10. So the skate skiing came quite naturally. It's also a singular advantage that there are few cobbled XC pistes which makes for a much more pleasant surface.

We did about 6 hours inc. 3 hours instruction last winter and rather enjoyed it.

My other motivation is it's part of a rather silly race event which went horribly wrong last year when I didn't check what sort of skis I had...and discovered a singular lack of metal edges as I left the start gate and couldn't hold a traverse.

What I'd read suggested exactly that better XC kit makes it easier, hadn't thought about increasing fragility but was homing in on something like the Active 8. Or maybe a level up, if not so significantly more €€.

Cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy