Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Simon Butler ... "BASI licence revoked" [1 Nov] ... court challenge [21 Nov]

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman wrote:
Well 21 days up now, and nothing from BASI I understand. Thank goodness for all concerned that they didn't think their case quite as cast-iron as some would have us suppose. I presume the board's bungling will have cost the members a pretty penny though.

Quite. Though I've no idea whether they might be preparing for the bigger legal action to come from SB rather than trying to overturn a suspension of their earlier hasty action. No doubt TTT will be along to assure us that everything is dandy in the BASI world before directing us at the real issue of the international proven criminal mastermind.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Let's see just how long!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He's not as quick as Thornyhill is he?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or he's out skiing somewhere. Wish I was Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As much as I find the SB saga interesting I prefer working on my skiing at every opportunity. I've not discussed with anyone recently as I think we are more interested in skiing now season underway. They had until yesterday to submit a response for consideration so if they did then the process will likely continue for a while. I remain of the view that best all sides sit down and come to an agreement as I've always recommended. The whole situation does have some amusing side aspects though. The skiing world is very small at times.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@halfhand, Happy.

An economics professor once told me never make a prediction and if you do make sure it is caveated and far enough out in the future that people forget what you predicted. Sound advice. I've never predicted this license issue and it seems no one on here knows the relevant scottish law so unwise for anyone to predict.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After making this post:

TTT wrote:
I said I thought he would be convicted. He was. I said his licence was at risk. It has been revoked. Nothing clever as fairly obvious but not too bad for someone who is clueless. I do find the powers of denial amazing. I do hope we move to acceptance and moving onto a solution soon.

You now make this post:

TTT wrote:
I've never predicted this license issue and it seems no one on here knows the relevant scottish law so unwise for anyone to predict.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@irie that image sums it up nicely

@TTT some quotes from you -

'BASI have taken the licence away of someone who has been convicted so would be seen to be acting reasonably. The process may not be ideal but it is legally sound.'

'SB has been convicted and lost his licence -he will try to appeal but he has no legal grounds that anyone has ever indicated to me so he ends up carrying on working in CH.'

Perhaps not as legally sound as you would like to believe?

Legal grounds were challenged and an interim interdict issued. Therefore there it would appear that legal grounds were not fully covered. If they were legally sound decisions to make then it would not take much for BASI to show they are right.

As for this gem 'I've never predicted this license issue and it seems no one on here knows the relevant scottish law so unwise for anyone to predict.', that most definitely includes you, despite two assertions made of the decision being 'legally sound' and of SB's challenge having 'no legal grounds'.

All I can say, to quote you, is the one assertion you have made that is correct 'no one on here knows the relevant scottish law so unwise for anyone to predict'. Take your own advice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It would have been useful to hear from BASI on why they are not challenging the interdict. Who knows, maybe they did submitt papers at the last minute. Wisely they should wait on the French appeal.

I may be wrong on the timing but somewhere in the more recent GM videos, SB offers to resign from BASI if he loses in court. The appeal is in mid-January. If he loses that one then the final stage is the EC. Not clear on which stage of the appeal he was referring to. That's a win, win situation for BASI and maybe an approach that should have been followed.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 13-12-14 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TTT you have made statements in earlier posts about SB working for a Swiss ski school. It's my understanding that he is running part of his business from Switzerland and carrying on working as SBS had done in Megeve i.e. using their own instructors.

Where did you find out he was working for a Swiss ski school? You seem to know more about this, his licence, his working rights etc, than most others, even SB.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clearly the only way "ttt" can make two posts in a row which don't contradict each other is by posting them sequentially 4 minutes apart. Oh, actually even that doesn't work.

Perhaps he (or she?) does actually represent BASI. Their legal success to date suggests seriously poor advice.

But it's kind of him to keep stoking the fires over here. Noise aside, "coming to an agreement" is at least possible now that the BASI/ESF action has failed. So that's a step forward. Other actions by UK tour companies may help the ESF along a little too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skison wrote:
Who knows, maybe they did submitt papers at the last minute.

Maybe we should wait until Monday to find out? TTT's inside source may not be speaking to him/her this weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
Clearly the only way "ttt" can make two posts in a row which don't contradict each other is by posting them sequentially 4 minutes apart. Oh, actually even that doesn't work.

Perhaps he (or she?) does actually represent BASI. Their legal success to date suggests seriously poor advice.

But it's kind of him to keep stoking the fires over here. Noise aside, "coming to an agreement" is at least possible now that the BASI/ESF action has failed. So that's a step forward. Other actions by UK tour companies may help the ESF along a little too.

Poor advice and still poor communication with members. They should have updated everyone on how they intend or not to proceed. It will start to become costly if they challenge and lose. I'm happy to keep wait on news from those who know Scots Law (i.e. not TTT) on the next step.

As he is no longer working in France I would have thought removing himself from the country of concern would have opened up an opportunity to find a resolution. The challenges in France can be fought from afar.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
skison wrote:
Who knows, maybe they did submitt papers at the last minute.

Maybe we should wait until Monday to find out? TTT's inside source may not be speaking to him/her this weekend.

BASI need to communicate on this whatever decision has been reached. TTT's source has probably flown home for a rest. Exhausted by legal legwork or getting ready for the battle ahead.
latest report
philwig wrote:
Perhaps he (or she?) does actually represent BASI.

Yes, I have thought right from the first of TTT's posts that he is a she.

Also, judging from the use (and occasional misuse) of vocabulary, a Francophone.

And of course is de facto representing BASI.
latest report
@Szymon, PMSL. I do like the way that as soon as his/her argument is going tits up then there's the "As much as I find it interesting , I'm more interested in skiing" line.
snow conditions
Will hold my breath till Monday morning first post. if the court has not received anything by then it will be too late to appeal. It may already be too late, as I do not know Scottish law, but under English they often allow first post the next working day though you may still have to argue if it should be allowed to be submitted.
SB could put a strong argument it should not as if BASI had done everything correctly they would have had all the paperwork to submit almost immediately for an appeal.

I wonder if @TTT, is trying to talk skiing because he/she is piste-off that they have been wrong on so many points on so many occasions while borderline insulting those with different views and portraying themselves as someone who understands the legal points of this whole case.
snow report
Nothing had happened by close of business yesterday which was the deadline for appealing the interdict. I'd be surprised if there were any "delayed in the post" leeway.
snow report
Bizarre - obviously not understood anything I've written at all. As entertaining as it has been I definitely prefer skiing Happy
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
Bizarre - obviously not understood anything I've written at all. As entertaining as it has been I definitely prefer skiing Happy

I don't think you understand most of what you have written.

What you have written is BASI are right, SB is wrong, they have a strong legal case and he has none. Fair summary?
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Bizarre - obviously not understood anything I've written at all. As entertaining as it has been I definitely prefer skiing.

And you're certain to be better at skiing too. Happy
snow report
No clearly choose to completely misunderstand such is the SB world view. I really don't care. I've not read the SB anti basi rants and posts as I'm not interested. I'm not interested in instructing. I'm not interested in TO package trips and I enjoy being instructed by local ex racers as that is the highest quality instruction I've received so as no impact on me so can't get excited about what happens. I don't even like skiing. Just got a lot of friends who do so useful to have access to high quality instruction to help me ski with them so doesn't impact me. Just find all the SB obsession and anti basi stuff very strange. Really can't be bothered. Just ski.
snow conditions
@TTT,

Only person who keeps mentioning anti BASI is yourself, why ?

Most who have commented against BASI actions have done so re their actions not BASI as a body. You have made it very clear you have little or no respect for BASI L1 and L2 instructors yet I have not seen anyone else have such disdain for the work they have put in and that BASI should be striving to help them continue to put in to attain L3 and L4.

BASI hierarchy in all this seem to have little regard for the effort these members have put in and the level they have attained no wonder some other organisations have little respect for them as well.

You personally have a strange fixation that only ex racers or those who can attain their level of personal skiing ability can teach well. It would be interesting to see what level you are skiing at to better see if we can understand this fixation that denies you excellent instruction from instructors not racers.

Most of the criticism you have received on here has been brought on yourself by the way you talk/type your reply's and the comments you seem to have to litter throughout your posts re those you say support SB or are anti BASI, ESF when we are not your comments are borderline insultive as were your comments re this forum.

Healthy debate is good and this thread could be so much better and more informative if you debated the points and weighed them up so please do yourself and those who want to voice in support of BASI or the ESF a favour and stop the innuendo's and childish wording that belittles intelligent debate.
latest report
Quote:

I don't even like skiing

But you certainly seem to like sliding around the key points.

I have to say, on occasions i could see some of you points, but your most recent ones have from my perspective removed any credibility you may have had.
latest report
TTT wrote:
No clearly choose to completely misunderstand such is the SB world view. I really don't care. I've not read the SB anti basi rants and posts as I'm not interested. I'm not interested in instructing. I'm not interested in TO package trips and I enjoy being instructed by local ex racers as that is the highest quality instruction I've received so as no impact on me so can't get excited about what happens. I don't even like skiing. Just got a lot of friends who do so useful to have access to high quality instruction to help me ski with them so doesn't impact me. Just find all the SB obsession and anti basi stuff very strange. Really can't be bothered. Just ski.

It's sad you spend so much of your time directly and indirectly involved with something you don't like, that's not good. Sad

My genuine advice to you is to find something that you really do like and leave skiing behind, it's really not the only thing in the world, honest. Happy
snow report
Apologies - turns out I jumped the gun. BASI lodged an appeal with *3 minutes* to spare. BASI will need to spend its members' money on lawyers, and the rest of us on popcorn.
snow report
TTT wrote:

Are you on crack? For someone who's not interested in instructing and doesn't even like skiing your participation in this thread and forum is totally bizarre.

Or is this some deep sarcasm you are unable to communicate effectively? Course it will be all the other thread participants and SB worshippers getting you wrong again.[/b]
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@laundryman, ah! The plot thickens....... should be good for another 25 pages.
latest report
@pam w, yes, I expect it will run and run.
ski holidays
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Apologies - turns out I jumped the gun. BASI lodged an appeal with *3 minutes* to spare. BASI will need to spend its members' money on lawyers, and the rest of us on popcorn.

At least it saves me holding my breath till Monday morning wink

Now if this will run and run what colour will it run ?

Plain old white ( may have to be artificial but could we trust certain BASI members not to want a different type of canon ) NehNeh

5hitty yellow

Green
Blue
Red
Black ?????? NehNeh NehNeh

I do feel sorry for the ordinary members of BASI now having to watch their money going to the "Blood sucking lawyers" Mad

BASI could have easily said " In hindsight maybe we acted in haste, our only concern was for how the French legal case would affect the members of the organisation, but we realise the best course is to allow the legal process in France to reach it's climax and then decide from that point what steps both BASI and SB need to take".

Not exactly brain surgery but hey what do the BASI hierarchy care it is not their own money just the members.
ski holidays
Not exactly brain surgery but hey what do the BASI hierarchy care it is not their own money just the members.

Nail on head !
snow report
Planet ski article says

Quote:
Court papers were submitted to the Court of Session in Edinburgh on Friday 12th December just before the deadline and it is expected the result of the case will be reached in the next few days.

Do Scottish Courts hear cases so quickly?

I am sure TTT knows the answer but he is probably out skiing wink
ski holidays
irie - page 9 wrote:
It is quite obvious that BASI, operating as a private organisation, has become so p*ssed of with SB that it has made an emotional decision to be rid of him but in doing so has left itself open to litigation under civil law.

irie - page 21 wrote:
Sooner or later SB and BASI are going to have to talk, and BASI are likely to have their noses rubbed in it. In a sense it doesn't make any difference whether they're technically right or wrong, it is self evident that they have mis-managed the situation.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Scottish court advises SB and BASI to go to some sort of arbitration. In other words TALK!
snow report
@stewart woodward, not heard anything and don't know anything about the scottish case. There are too many dangerously out of control people in too small an area at the moment so I've had enough of skiing for time being.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Planet ski article says

Quote:
Court papers were submitted to the Court of Session in Edinburgh on Friday 12th December just before the deadline and it is expected the result of the case will be reached in the next few days.

I am sure TTT knows the answer but he is probably out skiing wink

And he's not even liking it, just to make his point.
ski holidays
irie wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Scottish court advises SB and BASI to go to some sort of arbitration. In other words TALK!

I suspect it's gone past that for SB. The licence issue is only one part of the ongoing issue(s).

For BASI and the membership my preference would be to avoid court, sort it out and SB continues his struggles with the French. If BASI don't want to support his challenges in the court then fine, but don't go siding with the French until the courts have dealt with it. BASI certainly didn't help when their Legal Director on the BBC pronounced him guilty on all and everything. That's where I strongly disagree with BASI's actions and ultimately their badly conceived plan of getting rid of him.
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
Planet ski article says

Quote:

No idea. Seems a bit quick for a court to kick in to action.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
@stewart woodward, There are too many dangerously out of control people in too small an area at the moment so I've had enough of skiing for time being.

Do you mean in this forum, out on piste where you are, or are you making a philosophical statement about life in general?

Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 14-12-14 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy