Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SAJ Ski Instructor Exams Japan

Poster: A snowHead
So assuming my visa is granted I'm going to work a season for a ski school in Japan.

The school want me to do Ski Association of Japan (SAJ) instructor exams which I have no problem with, but getting hold of any information on the required level/syllabus of the courses is proving difficult even after extensive googling. I've found a couple of videos of SAJ trainers doing demos online, but of course the narrative is all in japanese which I don't understand.

So does anyone have any first hand (or even second hand Very Happy ) experience of these exams, specifically level 1 and 2 which I'm required to do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you going to work? I've worked in Japan for 6 seasons, but never done the exams as I worked for a foreign run school. From what I have heard the levels are not that hard, they are purely skiing exams (no teaching) and most instructors seem to pass them no trouble. What qualification do you currently have?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got a job in rusutsu. Currently basi isia. The school seem to like the idea of you doing the exams though I don't think they are mandatory, but I'm keen to do them anyway as they seem to be not expensive to undertake. I've seen that they are purely skiing exams with no assessment of teaching ability.

Just interested to find out what you are examined on and what they like to see in your performance.

@jimmer, Where do you work in Japan?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some schools that are SAJ recognised make you do the exams, not sure how it is in Rusutsu. It's a great mountain to ski at though, sure you'll have a great season.

I'm based in Hirafu, doing a shorter season this year as I want to do my Eurotest (a decision I am starting to regret!).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They seem to want me to take the exams, though it wasn't implied that it was mandatory. What's the deal with SIA and SAJ? Kind of strange to have 2 separate instructor qualifying bodies in one country (forgetting the UK for the moment).

Any tips on doing a season in Japan?

Also I'm considering taking my ABS pack with me but have read that it can be problematical getting one into the country mainly because of issues with internal flight operators. I'm planning to fly into Tokyo and then fly on to Chitose. Do you know what the deal is with taking ABS packs onto flights in Japan?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oh and how's the eurotest training going?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On every turn raise your downhill hand to about head height as if you're waving to your Mum.

Guaranteed pass.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, it is weird with the SAJ/SIA thing, I think SAJ is more widespread though SIA is the one recognised by the ISIA.

I have never used an ABS pack there, there is a lot of powder to be had inbounds, especially in Rusutsu, if you are going to be touring a lot it might be worth it.

Tips on a season in Japan, errm, bring some big skis and lots of down clothing, can get freezing in Jan, I wear a puffy jacket and shorts under my uniform!

@Mike Pow, I take it you're not a fan of the 'hybrid style' then? I love it! I think it's gone out of fashion with SAJ and they have new ideas now. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not my thing tbh.

Must be a recent change of focus. Plenty of instructors doing it all over Hokkaido last winter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I think they decided to be more outside leg dominant last year, obviously not changed over entirely yet! I like the look of their skiing, at least they get big angles.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah you see some Japanese instructors really laying them over.

However their students appear to really bank and rotate to try to achieve the same edge angles.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:
On every turn raise your downhill hand to about head height as if you're waving to your Mum.

Guaranteed pass.

Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So anybody know what their progression is? Are they using something like plough-parallels or are they still in the world of stem christies? Shock I'm guessing they look at straight running, ploughing, plough turning, plough parallel (or whatever they use), basic parallel, refined parallel with pole plant, medium and short rads' carved and more rotary? bumps? variables? high speed?

What focus do they use in ploughing? weight method? strength method? something else?

I'm just in the dark with this at the moment as I can find very little on line and the guys that were there last year are being really cryptic saying things like 'you're in for a shock' etc.

I'm not worried about it, frankly if they explain what they want to see properly I can adapt what I do to fit in with what they like to see.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No idea sorry
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
No idea sorry

no worries, think I'll just have to go and sit the exams to find out.
snow report
you at Rusutsu yet?
snow report
not yet Mike. It took a while to get my visa sorted out, in fact I still have to collect it tomorrow. So I'm flying thursday next week.

From what I can see there isn't much snow yet so I'm not hugely bothered, though it would have been good to get out for the ski school pre-season resort orientation training and to meet all the folks I'll be working with.

BTW I found your seasons blog thread and read the whole thing! Very useful for getting a feel for things, thanks for doing it. snowHead
snow report
My pleasure.

Yeah it's been thin.

Kiroro has been open since 21 November. Had some great turns on piste.

Big storm rolling in on Monday.

Should be primo by the time you arrive Smile
ski holidays
Thought I'd update this now I've done the exams and the info maybe useful for anyone else who ends up over here and is required to do them.

First level is level 2. Only your skiing is assessed, there is no teaching training or assessment. Everyone gets a numbered bib and skis in number order. On level 2 we were assessed for stem step turns (20 years since I last did one of these and it was an ancient technique then!), long parallels, and short parallels.
On level 1 (the higher level) we did longs, shorts, a bump rut line and a weird forward variable sideslip with a parallel turn with pole plant between each side slip (though we were told that the turn was not assessed only the slip.

We had a training session in the morning before exam in the afternoon for each exam. There are 3 examiners at the bottom of the hill and their marks are averaged for each manoeuvre.

If you pass level 2 you get a little credit card sized card and a badge. For level 1 you get another badge and a certificate. The first exam costs 1500 yen and the second 2000. Basically about 9 and 12 pounds respectively. Certainly the cheapest exams I'll ever take!
ski holidays
Well done.
snow conditions
Cheers. My main plus is that I'll never need to do another exam here! They weren't a fun process! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy