Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sj4000 Go pro clone. Anybody used one?

Poster: A snowHead
Been thinking of getting one for this year. I've got a good camera phone but I keep dropping it or forgetting to zip up my pocket taking it in and out and end up trudging around in the snow rather than on it. A mate brought a Go pro along last year and I realised how much simpler it is to have a job specific camera. These clones (SJCam) go for around £60 and look pretty good on the you tube footage. Just wondering if anyone on here has used one? I realise they're not as high spec as the go pro but to be honest I'd rather spend the price of one go pro and all the accessories on a holiday. Sixty quid however is a different matter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have one and they are OK, not been skiing yet, but used it on my go kart and my brothers dragster and footage is pretty good. It doesn't cope with speed quite the same as go pro and quality is not quite there, but for the price youll not hear me complain!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The SJ is quite interesting because it is nearly the GoPro form factor. Love it or more likely hate it, it has become a standard. If you want to buy a gimbal for example it is much easier to find one that is set up for GoPros than any other camera.

I haven't got an SJ4000. As I've said before it is very hard to tell from Youtube footage as the video is reencoded by YouTube with their own codec, at higher compression and at different bitrates so you are not looking at original GoPro or SJ footage. However the Mobius and other cheap cameras produce good video. Certainly good enough for ski holiday stuff. Some mobile phones also produce excellent video. In the hands of a pro GoPro has its raw mode and now 4K so really can produce some stunning footage but that is way beyond most amateurs production skills.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, Why could I not have said it that well Happy

You can definitely tell the difference in quality but its still a lot better than your none HD cameras, and for something you get out every now and then I could never justify the gopro prices - I spent the saving on a Transceiver and probe Happy

In terms of the mountings etc, it comes with a box of all the mountings you could hope for, and quality has been fine so far. Only concern now after recent Schumacher claims is whether its wise to put it on your helmet. For me personally I never will as I have no interest in filming my toes or the person in front - I bought it for the cars
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Davidof and Paulc1984 . I have the last great nokia phone - the 808 42 megapixel with a whopping sensor and 1080p video @ 30fps. It probably outstrips the sj hardware wise but it's just so clumsy for skiing and also gets confused on auto focus when moving at speed. Not to mention that although it may not be worth so much now I still love it and would struggle to replace it. I'm not a super accomplished skier - advanced intermediate I guess. So it's just to record some fun on my jollies! The case for the Sj is strengthening.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been looking at the SJ4000 myself but with the new GoPro 4 and cheaper lower end models I am wondering if it is worth waiting till after xmas and getting a secondhand Hero 2 or Hero 3. At present I have the std hero so any of the above will be an improvement.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulC1984 wrote:
@davidof, Why could I not have said it that well Happy

Something you said was very interesting, about it not coping with speed so well - not great for an action cam. This is probably down to the compression engine and bit rates. GoPro have good compression and very high bit rates, which is why the footage is often just a bit better than the competitors. F'rexample the Sony AS15 supports similar bit rates to the GoPro but has a poorer compression algorithm (no B frames from memory) so you get slightly less quality video, pound for pound.

Given that the cheapest GoPros are under 100 quid they are pretty close to SJ prices.

I assume next big thing for GoPro is some kind of electronic image stabilization.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep just had a look through eBay and such. The Go Pro 1 is on amazon for £90. Do you think that's still a better camera then?
Speed 098 you've got the right idea. Think I'll hold off til then too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really should get rid of my hero1, heros2's and hero3's, lcd, wifi backs and remotes controls. But I have said that before........
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, in fairness to the camera the dragster goes at 170mph and vibrates like hell and my go kart is flying around (or spinning depending how well im driving Happy )

What I dont think it copes quite so well with is speed and change of direction. It may be that a skiing speed it will be fine and id say for the casual skier filming the kids and plodding around it will be absolutely fine
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow. I read go kart and didn't really pick up on 'dragster'.... 170mph? Balls of steel! No wonder the camera struggles. Think I'll be going at a more leisurely pace. Though I did clock 60 at les houches downhill practise slope last year. Don't think I'll ever get the stains out after that one!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Graham Warren, Thats my brother driving dragster, I stick to go kart lol. Mind you he only travels in a straight line for 1/4 mile, its not that hard lol Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've mounted gopro's in drag cars a few times, either in car or mounted outside. The main thing to worry about (leaving aside the quality of the camera itself) is to eliminate as much vibration as possible. Because these type of cameras have what's called a rolling shutter, vibration gives the footage a wired wobble which is technically known as 'jello'. It can be reduced with filters but first bet is to reduce the vibration.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just received my Redleaf RD990 yesterday. If you're looking at a SJ4000 then I'd certainly recommend spending a little extra on the Redleaf. Many comments on Techmoan's website about suspect SJ4000 quality. I bought a SJ1000 earlier this year, very similar to the SJ4000 but in a different shell and the quality was poor. The SJ4000 claims to do 60fps but is actually only 30fps (duplicates frames). The Redleaf uses an Ambarella chip (as used in older Gopros), does 60fps at 720p, has built in wifi and comes in a padded case full of quality mounts and cables. Quality seems far superior to the SJ1000 I used. Cost was £98.45 inc del from Joovuu.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ansta1, Which is easier said than done when your strapping it to a chevy big block Happy (the hellish tyre shake doesnt help!)
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, indeed but there are ways around it. Spent lots of time with Mike lacey at santapod. Got some great footage mounted from front towing eye which I have found to be really low vibration point.
ski holidays
@ansta1, Indeed, certainly the better point, albeit with adam running an altered, the engine is right up front, but its an awful lot better than when we strapped it to his roll cage above his head Happy. Has mike still got his chevy? I cant remember seeing him at dragstalgia this year?
snow conditions
@Schnorrr,
Looks interesting. Please post an update once you've put it through it's paces. Been looking at the AEE MagiCam S70 - 1080p 60fps. £130 on eBay. I'm the king of up-selling to myself. rolling eyes Started out looking at 40 quid SJ which quickly jumped to £60 ones thanks to techmoans review. Now there's your Rd and the AEE. Watch me end up with the latest gold plated Gopro.
snow report
You'll find some good reviews of many action cameras, including the SJ4000, here:
http://www.techmoan.com/

Also have a look at the SVC200.
snow report
@altis,
Thanks. I've already seen the Techmoan reviews of the SJ and SVC. SVC gets a thumbs down I think. It has terrible audio and can't cope with movement. With the redleaf an interesting possibly gimmicky function is the timelapse that automatically creates the movie file rather than having to create it yourself. The footage on Vimeo looks pretty good too. Plenty good enough for me. Not sure if the 60fps is genuine or doubling up like the SJ.
ski holidays
if anyone is interested I am going to be selling my unused SJCAM SJ400 Wifi as i have been bought a GoPro Hero 4. PM if you are interested.
snow report
Currently the SJ4000 can be purchased for £38 from EVOMTB. Payment is via Amazon.

I ordered one at the start of the week.
ski holidays
I hope you won't be too disappointed.
latest report
@FunkyDunc, its not an SJCAM branded so could be a copy of the copy. either way i hope you are happy with it.
snow report
I've got one and used it skiing last year.

The camera's good but i'm rubbish at using it. Looking round at everything, nodding, etc. Hours of perfect quality but completely useless film.
snow report
@emwmarine,
Very funny! Laughing At least it shows you're living in the moment rather than worrying about the home movie!
snow report
Graham Warren wrote:
@emwmarine,
Very funny! Laughing At least it shows you're living in the moment rather than worrying about the home movie!

I decided to start living in the moment after realising I was useless at recording life.

Now I look down my nose at all those amateur film makers.
snow report
Junior has said he wants a video camera for Christmas. Would one of these be OK for a tech savvy 10 year old?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@musher, What kind of movies does he want to shoot? Helmet cam stuff of proper camcorder?
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways,
I think he wants helmet cam for skiing (and bike, skateboard etc etc etc)
snow report
The new entry level GoPro Hero 4 is going for about £100, and does pretty much everything the top-of-the-line one does except 4k and super mega slow-mo. Personally I'm not a fan of GoPros - never liked the form factor so I went for a Contour as its less obtrusive, but bottom line is MusherJunior will want a GoPro and at £100 for a really rather good camera at a good price, so its probably the one to go for at a price point that you won't feel too aggrieved if it gets smacked about. For a few more whistles and bells you can go up the foodchain to the White and get wifi control, although you lose the 60 frames per second option for shooting. Over£220 and you can get the Silver which is basically the old 3 black rehashed. The top of the heap is the black which can shoot beyond broadcast quality, 120fps which most people will never need (but always use). Personally I'd go for the entry level, with a couple of top end 64gb memory cards and a chunky portable battery recharge unit like the Veho Pebble
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways,
I don't think junior is precious about brands, and he is only 10 so was think of spending less than that, especially given his habit of skiing into trees Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'd probably still recommend going for the entry level £100 GoPro. They are very good and anything cheaper will be a compromise and probably crap out on you with a bit of abuse - plus all the various mounts and software and stuff is geared to the market leader.
ski holidays
@musher,
It does look as though go pro are the best choice. But if you're looking for budget there's a contour/bullet clone on eBay for £44 including a memory card and delivery. Built in battery (might not last long) Waterproof 1080 30fps/720 60fps. Sounds good as something for a young-un to play around with. See the Altis post next one down for the link. Hope this is helpful

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 12-11-14 6:29; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Next again......

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-11-14 6:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111068271904
snow report
@altis,
Cheers!
snow conditions
This is why we have memes...

snow report
For less than 100£ I would go for Drift HD.Have had it for couple of years now and is really good.I was against GoPro till they released Hero 4 that is finally worth the price.Good thing about Drift is price of accessories.Quality of pictures comparable to Hero 2.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways,
Wassat? Not sure what you're getting at re memes (I know what one is btw).
I'd messed up putting in a link. Then put a second post apologising for the sudden expansion of the posts width. Then altis put a better link and I then edited my one post and couldn't see how to delete the other. Still a bit of a dummy when it comes to posting. Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy