Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does a moderate amount of alcohol improve your performance?

Poster: A snowHead
As a nervous beginner I found that a couple of brandies made me less worried about wiping out & more relaxed about the whole business of hurtling down the mountain. I also found that I had more of a flow to my skiing. I don't usually go on skiing holidays for the apres ski, more fore the actual skiing. I know it sounds a bit like "any old excuse to get hammered" in order to cope with life, but I rarely drink nowadays, I just enjoy a beer at the top of the world whilst I enjoy the view before racing back down to reality at a speed that I will establish later by looking at my mobile app. I can't be the only one, am I?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its the only way he can get me to perform after so many years married
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No. Alcohol impairs performance. I have read that some insurance companies will not pay out if you are skiing whilst over the limit (not sure what the limit is)

I do enjoy a bombardino, but I won't try to kid myself on that it makes me ski better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gary, regard nervous flyers at the airport pre-flight. You are not the only one!

I used this to great effect to get a nervous but perfectly capable skier down the wall once. They really, really wanted to do it. but couldn't get past the lip.

A modest couple of poires later and they were perfectly fine. And could still ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I start the day with a brandy in my coffee then do my bit throughout the day to support the economy on the the mountain with my patronage Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Its the only way he can get me to perform after so many years married

Ah, thank you, thank you. Got a million of them, she's here all week Laughing Laughing

Please no, no not a debate on the pros and cons of a lunchtime beer or vin chaud Mad

All I'll say is if it works for you then fine but don't overdo it and know your limitations. I'd hate to see you wiped out and injured or you injure someone else through being sozzled on the slopes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gary, Do you find wearing a helmet helps Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one. My two young children find it helps too! (Only Kidding!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
gary, Do you find wearing a helmet helps Toofy Grin

Yes but does the double beer can holder double the risk of those just using a GoPro mount Puzzled NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alcohol reduces inhibitions. Simple. But some inhibitions are actually quite useful. wink The ones that stop people on holiday in Ibiza getting hammered then jumping off their balconies into the swimming pool, for example.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't know about skiing alcohol and driving has been intensively studied, small amounts often make people more confident about their performance but the actual performance deteriorates.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used to, or at least I used to think it did, for reasons of easing anxiety. Now I'm very aware that it kills my timing and I can feel it has negative effect.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gary wrote:
As a nervous beginner I found that a couple of brandies made me less worried about wiping out & more relaxed about the whole business of hurtling down the mountain. I also found that I had more of a flow to my skiing.

however.. do you actually HAVE more flow to your skiing, or is it just a feeling? It could be you're skiing worse but it 'feels' more relaxed..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The French breakfast (strong back coffee and large armagnac) is a fine way to start the day, whatever the skiing plans Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dode wrote:
No. Alcohol impairs performance. I have read that some insurance companies will not pay out if you are skiing whilst over the limit .

I think that yer man is talking about a couple of snifters, not an alpine bender! Very Happy
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Don't know about skiing alcohol and driving has been intensively studied, small amounts often make people more confident about their performance but the actual performance deteriorates.

The same applys to "between the sheet" activities.
snow conditions
No it doesn't improve performance. Years ago a group of us used to windsurf pub to pub and that makes it perfectly clear that alcohol may improve self-esteem but it does not improve balance. I've also been sailing (yachts) when others have had a single beer when I haven't and their worsened co-ordination was all too obvious. I like a drink, strictly apres.
ski holidays
A few friends and I inadvertantly conducted an experiment 2 years ago in Verbier. We knew where we wanted to have lunch, and we had to get one girl down to a paragliding spot a bit below it after lunch. So we timed how long it took to do a particular run and back up on the lift. We ended up doing the same run several times as it fitted nicely into the time we had left before our booked lunch.

3 of us then split a bottle of wine over lunch - so a large glass each over about an hour, with food. Then skied exactly the same run, under a little time pressure, to get to the paragliding. We were all really shocked at how our reactions and speed had noticeably diminished! It was a real wake up call to me, and now I never drink when skiing until the very end of the day.

(I also unintentionally did an avalanche training day course, involving a fair bit of offpiste skiing, while massively hungover. I *really* regretted that, I could barely ski down a red run)
ski holidays
I can barely ski down a red run, sober or drunk.
snow report
Quote:

No. Alcohol impairs performance.

That's not always true, as it's all about quantity.

Modest amounts alcohol will counteract any stress you my feel, so will indeed enable a more relaxed 'technique'. And it certainly promotes increased blood flow again because it relaxes the vascular system, but it's a very fine line.

Unfortunately with booze, even once we've exceeded its 'therapeutic dose' we still believe we are better/faster/more in tune etc.

If you feel you are skiing more freely after a small glass of wine then you probably are; but if you think that after 3 or 4 glasses then you are almost certainly wrong.
snow conditions
gary wrote:
Does an alcoholic moderator improve performance?

Fixed it for you
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
I can barely ski down a red run, drunk or completely off my face.

FIFMS
latest report
I find music has the same effect. And it also shares with alcohol the quality of creating endless arguments on snowheads. Confused
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
I can barely ski down a red run, drunk or completely off my face.

FIFMS

Laughing
snow conditions
alcohol and high altitude - stupid combination even when not skiing. If nervous - stay on green or easy blue runs. Take lessons. Otherwise drunk flying 'idiots' with the perceived 'improved' ski level will start killing other people on slopes ... my god Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, Laughing
snow report
Some years ago I proved to the audience that I could ski (tolerably well, on old skinny skis) when I couldn't stand. Due to a selfless effort to consume more than too many genepis on behalf of a group of very pretty girls who didn't want to appear, err, ungrateful for the digestifs.

I'm nice that way. Or something.

I am not proud if any of it. But it was quite funny and staged in a controlled environment. Do not attempt to replicate at home kids.

@mooney058, what altitude? Most skiing is hardly at alititude.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
rolling eyes

quite
snow report
and as for irresponsible old women hooning around knocking over defenceless children whilst blown away by Bach, hanging would be too good for them.
snow report
I discovered last season that after a bottle of prosecco I ski really badly. Equally useful was the discovery that after a bottle of prosecco I really don't care how badly I ski. Two important discoveries in just one day. My gratitude to ISki and bertiebasset for helping that particular experiment.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I discovered last season that after a bottle of prosecco I ski really badly. Equally useful was the discovery that after a bottle of prosecco I really don't care how badly I ski. Two important discoveries in just one day. My gratitude to ISki and bertiebasset for helping that particular experiment.

And there I was, just quietly reading the thread and discreetly refraining from making any comment. Embarassed Toofy Grin
latest report
rob@rar, Iski, Laughing
snow report
@Iski, wink
snow report
Quote:

I discovered last season that after a bottle of prosecco I ski really badly. Equally useful was the discovery that after a bottle of prosecco I really don't care how badly I ski.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@rob@rar, your post reminds me of one of the greatest of contemporary American philosophers -

snow conditions
Crikey,
I got taken out by a 17 stone Swede in Monetier last year, we had sat and had lunch, him diet coke, me large sauv blanc...
ski holidays
Try playing a decent video game and drinking beer... well try winning against decent players and you'll soon work it out.

Interestingly the media report what "safety equipment" people are wearing/ using (relevant or not) when there's an accident, but they don't report if the people were actually intoxicated (irrespective of the drug).
snow report
It really depends on the person i would say.
I am a naturally nervous person with a predisposition to anxiety. Alcohol can take the edge off my nerves which most would consider abnormal so for me i would say a glass of wine would certainly help me perform better in most situations.
I have had to take a few vallium tablets when skiing before because certain situations can freak me out.
A small amount can help with nerves, a large amount is stupid.
ski holidays
@Corduroy, are you a nervous driver as well?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy